“Time Changes Everything”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed in this hotel over 17 years ago for our Beach Wedding. It was marvelous, expensive and well worth every penny. The restaurants were amazing, the pools and water slides were fantastic and the body surfing on the beach was second to none. We absolutely loved this hotel. We returned for a visit 2 years ago. Sadly, it is not the same resort. Financial times have affected everything, including the Westin Maui. The restaurants have closed; replaced with food kiosks. The customer service has become casual and the typical hotel guests are children. Nothing wrong with children, but now the atmosphere is very loud and boisterous. It is not the quiet, relaxing vacation some (including us) may come to Hawaii for.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank InsightfulWanderer
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Mahalo for sharing your feedback. Contrary to your perception that restaurants have closed, we offer two superb restaurants in addition to a delightful café by the ponds, beach snack shop as well as an inviting poolbar by the Adult Pool. Additionally, the resort offers guests a unique “Stay One Dine All” program with easy access and signing privileges to more restaurants and dining experiences at Sheraton Maui and Westin Ka’anapali Villas. The resort continues to be recognized for its impeccable facilities and services including its magnificent aquatic playground, full-service spa and romantic touches for couples. We invite you to return and experience these amazing offerings. Warmest aloha!

Write a ReviewReviews (5,224)

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have had to wait a week since coming back to write this, otherwise it would have been one superlative after another so let me start at reception where I arrived a little early and was asked if I wanted to wait for the room they had planned for me ( overlooking the ocean ) or take another (also an upgrade ) overlooking the grand entrance. I was already entranced so chose to wait and get a late lunch. I walked past the koi ponds with the incredible fish, flamingos, a duck and a black swan. Past the wonderful parrots saying aloha and sat poolside, waterfall side for a delightful attentive lunch.

My room was ready on time, it was huge and the view was incredible.

I would like to pick out a few stars, but I honestly can say everyone I met, who helped me or just spoke to me, stopped gave me there full attention and went out of their way to make my visit incredible.

I love the Starwood brand, but this place excelled it is beautiful and the staff are wonderful. Well done Westin! You made my Hawaiian vacation!

Room Tip: I was on the 9th floor with an ocean view, It was quiet and the sunset views were incredible!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank AnneYT
Reviewed June 5, 2013

It had been a terrible experience on my last stay in this hotel on 2/6-4/6.
We arrive in the hotel in late evening after a journey. The front desk girl was good and cheerful but we were given a room which was not cleaned at all. The bed is still in a mess and bath towels still on floor. Further more, we booked a sea view room and the room given to us faces directly a tall building 50m away and we could only see a glimpse of the sea when we stood really close to the balcony handrail and put our head outside of our balcony.
We rang the operator from the room and was transferred to the front desk, the phone keep ring for over one minute and nobody answered. We hung up and ring the operator again. I told her of what happened and she said she would transfer me to the manager. Again the phone rang for over one minute before a gentlemen answer. I was really upset then , and I said, at last somebody answer the phone. The manager just said he had an earlier phone that came in, so I had to wait. It old her about the two issues that I encountered, the answer from him was " that room is REGARDED as a sea view room. I said was it a sea view that I booked or a room "regarded" as sea view? I just want a room with sea view. He stood firm with his classification of "sea view"
Then I said even so, this room was not even cleaned. Then come the most absurd remark ever I heard from a hotel manager that threw me off my chair, he said " why are you in that room then?

I stayed in Moana Surfrider on 30/5, Sheration in Kona, Big Island on 31/5, and 1/6, , all these SPG hotel,gave me an impression that they are playing with words with the intention to mislead .

I had been using Sheraton and Westin a lot in the past. But recent experience was enough to keep me away.forever

Room Tip: Don't trust the hotel room classification, they were designed to mislead.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lhw5566

We are truly sorry to learn of your less than memorable experiences and look forward to connecting directly with you. We can be reached by email at yourmauiexperience@westin.com. Your feedback is extremely valuable and we sincerely hope that you allow us the opportunity to indulge you on your next visit. Mahalo.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the Westin Maui right after Memorial Day. Beautiful, clean resort with nice pools & great beach. Our room was clean and standard in size. Very comfortable bed and pillows.

The staff at the resort was outstanding. We booked our room via Priceline Name Your Price and got a steal on our stay. Charlotte checked us in and placed us in a deluxe ocean view room ... couldn't have been happier since it was a gamble on our part using Priceline. She was wonderful. Matthew, the Concierge, did an excellent job recommending unique and fun places to have dinners & drinks. We tried many of his suggestions during our short stay ... he was right on the money!

I would definitely recommend this property to friends & family.

Room Tip: There is construction at the resort so when you check in, request a room away from this area. I'...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenTimH
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Bathroom was tiny compare to other hotels of same level. Ocean view room can be very noisy at night or the other wings, only thing you will see is parking lot. Speak of parking lot, it's very VERY tiny, making some of the larger SUV's impossible to fit in side by side. The lobby, however was decent, as you can see in the picture.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here two nights before heading to our condo for a week. Got a decent deal and had a garden/pool view in ocean tower. Room was quite cramped for four people. The maid service was below average. Our beds were made with the bottom sheet about two feet too short so our feet were touching mattress, no replenishment of shampoo, coffee,etc. After calling, it was sent up.
The pool is nice and has a great slide, lots of seating but we were shocked that there was no kid area. The entire pool was 4 ft so if you have little ones, this might not be a good pool for you.
It was annoying that they tried to sell you sunblock (expensive) every time you wanted a towel.
Rooms were "tired" and small. Front desk was nice and helpful as we're most of the staff.
Workout room was nice as well, with a great view!
30 resort fee but that includes parking. The parking spots are tiny.
Overall a nice place but needs some tlc. Would look elsewhere for a pool that suits smaller kids.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your experiences and compliments. While our pools are known for being family-friendly, our sister resort (The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas) offers a dedicated children playground with a pirate ship for families with young ‘uns. We look forward to elevating your experience on your next visit to sunny Maui. Warmest aloha from all of us!

Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the west in Maui twice. Once was for our honeymoon and our second and most recent time was in October. The hotel does not disappoint. It is in a great location right on the beach, with great access to all of the activities. The pools are amazing. I would recommend getting a cabaña. We had one that was over looking the beach and they continuously brought us water and fresh fruit. The spa at the hotel is great a little pricey but well worth it. As for the rooms the balconies are nice to sit out and relax on. The rooms are not bad and considering they are getting an update, they should be incredible soon. I know people have complained about the service but I would say it was top notch. If I had to be picky and complain about any aspect of the service I would say that I wish the maids got done with the rooms a little earlier in the day because we like to go back and take a nice nap. Other than that though we can not wait to go back to one of our favorite hotels again soon.

• Stayed: October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!