“Pleasant Stay at Westin Maui Resort and Spa”

Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Seattle, Wa
“Pleasant Stay at Westin Maui Resort and Spa”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Just returned from a 6-day/5-night stay at the Westin Maui where I had a very pleasant stay in an ocean/pool view room with balcony on the 5th floor of the Ocean Tower. The front desk staff was especially welcoming and prompt with check-in/out and the bell staff was friendly and quick with the luggage.

As noted in some of the other reviews I found the furniture to be chipped and a bit worn, the sink and marble countertop were both cracked, wallpaper in the bathroom was bubbled off the wall, and the overhead bathroom vent had painted over rust which showed the hotels age but did not detract overwhelmingly from my stay at the hotel. The Westin heavenly bed was extraordinarily comfortable with luxurious linens.

Found the food served poolside at the adult area was good and nicely presented with typical resort prices ($11-16). Received outstanding service from Keisha, a 14-year Westin veteran poolside server who hustled endlessly to make sure food was delivered hot and beverages cold. I never ate breakfast at the hotel due to the high price ($28) and limited selection.

The hotel grounds and free form pools are immaculate, access to the beach and Kaanapali boardwalk is terrific, and the resort's location adjacent to the shops and restaurants of Whaler's Village is ideal. The resort has a well equipped gym, there are many walking/running routes just outside the door of the hotel, and the resort is located just across the street from two 18-hole golf courses.

Overall the hotel rooms show their age but the beds are wonderfully comfortable, the staff is friendly and accommodating, and the location is great.

Room Tip: Choose ocean/pool view rooms in the Ocean Tower on the 5th floor or higher.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,332)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Everett, Washington
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

We needed a place to stay our first night on Maui because we added a night on the front part of our stay, so my husband did a name your own price option for a 5 star place. For $200 we got a clean plain very very very small room. The room itself was no nicer than any Comfort Suite we have stayed in. Any way, the grounds are very pretty, with flamingoes and koi in the front lobby area. The location was good, just on the edge of Lahaina, so lots of restaurants nearby. The room itself was impeccably clean I felt like, however there were some little teeny black bugs that were on the outside door frame we noticed when we returned from dinner. I saw one the next morning near the sink. I kinda would have thought we wouldn't see bugs in a 5 star resort, but I guess so. Also, I don't think this place really qualifies for that rating because the room we stayed in was so plain. The hair dryer was very old. Not that I care, it worked, just again felt these should be updated every so often to stay in keeping with their supposed ratings. The most positive thing I can say about our stay for this one night is that the beds truly are heavenly.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank hhclemrn
san jose, ca
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Had the May reviews been available in January when I booked (I know impossible) I would have never booked. Ok, the good news first. The grounds are still so lovely, fun to be close to Lahaina, Matt the concierge was the best, and Michelle was the same, buffet breakfast very tasty (had it as a complimentary gift for what comes next). Went to the spa...Daniella was very good. Spa relaxation room has great view, facilities are a bit sparse. Ok, now the other news. So excited to arrive on a Friday at 1 p.m. Long line to check in, but hey we had sat for many hours on the plane. We get our room, deluxe ocean view, and it is right next to the elevator. I run right back down. Another 1/2 hour and no other rooms available. Really???? Ok, view is great, but room is dirty, sink has a crack right down the middle and clock doesn't work. Ok, we can get another, had to clean it and still didn't work. Ok, who needs a clock in Hawaii. But as the hours wore on the dirt and stickiness was creepy. Next morning...we need to move. How about a "kind of ocean view" overlooking Whaler's. Anything. "no, it's not noisy, you are high up, I like that view". Well, it was clean and roomy and noisy and was over a parking lot...where did the beautiful ocean sound go, drowned out by the parking lot and music until late into the night. Ok, whatever. Then I was locked out, security then engineering had to fix that. Ok, deep breath, how about a shower. Out comes rusty water. I almost screamed but was too tired. Ok, the 6000 gallon water tank was being repaired. Just run the water, it will go away. Get me out of here. So we stood in line again and finally got a nice, clean room with a better ocean view. Too many hours standing in line for keys and help. The check in line is really understaffed at certain times of the day. Apparently, when I was in it. I love the grounds, I love the adult pool, I loved the week we picked, I'm sad the rooms have become so raggedy. But I guess there is construction underway. So, if you are not in the room very much and don't care about view or sound, you might be ok. Loved the pool service.

I just hate to rate low when it was just the first part of the trip, but when it is the 4th day before you are unpacking it is kind of sad.

Room Tip: Don't go over Whalers Village (beach tower, odd numbered rooms). Ocean tower best but rooms are...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank soozjr
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was disappointed with the condition of the hotel's room - tired and in need of renovations. I saw that renos had begun on one part of the hotel but it is going to take a long time! The lamps in our room were chipped, the couch was stained and the corners were worn. It is the first Westin I have been in that has not been up to date with carpets and furnishings.

As a Starwood Platinum member I expected a room with a better view of the ocean, we were on the second floor. The reservation was made almost 5 months in advance.

The food is expensive but very good.

The grounds are wonderful - pools, waterfalls and access to the beach are great! The walk between hotels on the beach makes for a great evening walk. There are many different places to eat along the walk.

The conceirge, Kathy, was excellent - very helpful helping us find places to eat and things to do.

Room Tip: I suspect this hotel's best rooms are booked on a yearly basis by the same people.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Mahalo for your continued loyalty as a valued Platinum guest. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and look forward to delighting you with our new enhancements in the near future. Malama pono (take care)!
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

The hotel grounds are absolutely fantastic pink flamingos, black swan, koi fish, slide, waterfalls everywhere. The rooms are very plush, bedding of high quality and a most thrilling heavenly shower location perfect we had a very enjoyable stay

• Stayed May 2013
Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We love this hotel. Took my daughter and wife there for vacation. Little bit of a drive from the airport. But great beach and amazing water slide aNd pool. Nice pool view balcony rooms. You would want a rental car here as there is lots to see but you need a car.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kalispell, Montana
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Westins are usually great but this was disappointing. They checked us into a room with double beds although a king was promised. Bad carpet in the hallways and room. Bathrooms in the room must have been at least a hundred years old. The price of the rooms, food, for an umbrella on the beach, a bottle of water, etc was outrageous but this of course was Maui. They could have eased on at least one or two prices or provided some kind of amenity to offset it. Great service overall.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge the services you enjoyed during your stay with us. Your constructive comments will definitely assist us in our efforts to continuously improve and exceed guest expectations. Aloha!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!