“A Wonderful Experience”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here as part of a multi-island package deal and could not have been happier. We wish we could have spent more time here as it was just a great experience.
Although the $30 daily resort fee seemed reasonable, there were many returns for that $30 (internet service, spa discounts, continental breakfast, drinks, etc).
My reservations specified a king size bed (I'm taller than most) and when we showed up there were none available (we were booked in the 'mountain view' rooms) so the staff went to the back and returned with an upgrade in the 'ocean view' tower). We couldn't have been happier with the upgraded room.
I will say one negative thing about the room, the carpet looks like it might have been a bit worn as it was "bunching up" in a couple of places...didn't see any signs of damage, just looks like it may have stretched over the years and needs replacing.

Room Tip: The beach view tower is the one you want, unless you are looking to see the sun rise each day. View...
There are newer reviews for The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here in February 2012 and had a fabulous time!!! Would stay here again!!! The staff were awesome! The spa was great!!! Nothing like having a pedicure done with the ocean right out the window! The breakfast buffet was delicious!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Cordelia27
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The hotel is located on the north area of Maui approximately 40 minutes from the airport. There is construction on the road leading north so it is possible it may take longer. Unless you plan to spend all your time at the hotel, I would recommend renting a car. On that note the westin parking lot has one of the narrowest stalls I have encountered. Don't rent a big car unless you plan to valet it. Parking was almost always an issue. Hotel has two buildings. One aligns east-west. So your view is either going to be ocean to the north, or pool/ocean area to the south. The other building is aligned north-south. So your view will either be of the ocean, or....of the parking lot. Ok this isn't quite true. You can see the mountains, and if you are on the north end of the building you won't see the parking lot. I think it's worth getting the ocean view if it isn't too much more, or at least asking to upgraded if possible (no fee?). The staff were all friendly, and I would say most the people on the island were. Pool area is very child friendly, you might loose them in one of the many pools they have but that's another issue. The beach in front of the property has great sand. The ocean has a sandy bottom that goes out quite a distance so swimming there is great. If you are a runner like myself, you can head north on the boardwalk for a 2.5 mile run(5 mile return) all on the board walk. If you head south you can run on boardwalk, beach trail, road, and sidewalk for as long as you want. The town south of Lahaina is 3.5 miles south(center area). There is water along the way if you don't want to run with it. Overall the hotel is quite nice, it does require a car, and Whales village next door won't keep you occupied enough for your entire trip. I think Maui requires exploring. There are so many nice beachs to check out. One issue I have with the set up is that they are actively trying to sell you time shares. We got a message on our phone saying that the concierge had a free gift for us. Well turned out to be a 50 cent bag with the westin name on it. They then tried to get us to sign up for a timeshare presentation. We did and that was three hours of my life I'll never get back. If you have the time to kill why not, but don't buy anything. They aren't super high sales but still, take your time to sleep on it before you make a decision. They did allow us that and after looking at it all it didn't make sense for us.

1  Thank sakology
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Our kids loved playing in their pool and the slide. It has a good beach in front of it so they visit both often. The rooms are a bit dated. However, they are currently undergoing a remodel. Watch out for the sell on the vacation club. The concierge their kept trying to get us to sign up to visit their vacation club models.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Problemchild2
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The grounds are absolutely beautiful and well cared for. The rooms on the other hand are well worn, but clean and comfortable. Check in took an extremely long time (5 hours) as their system stopped working. Sitting around waiting for a room took up a lot of our "beach time". The restaurants that are in walking distance are all wonderful. The staff is so friendly and nice and always willing to help with anything you need. Overall I will definitely be back to the Westin!! Well worth every $$. Thanks for the great memories and a very fun vacation.

Room Tip: The garden view is very pretty if you don't want to spend the $$ on a beach view
2  Thank SSCooper
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just returned from the Westin and had a good stay. I was worried about all the negative comments before arrival, though my experience was better than expected.
Check in was a breeze, no waiting at all because there were 3 people working on the front desk. I did see a line from time to time when there was only one person working.
I got a room across from the elevator despite asking for a quiet room, though I was not bothered by any noice during the stay, maybe because it was after the Spring break. The room was on 5th floor w a nice mountain view. Beds and pillows were very comfortable. Housekeeping runs late during the weekends. I called the front desk about where to weight my luggage, and they sent a scale! I called the front about microwave, and they sent one within 10 minutes! Room had a mini-fridge, and there was a microwave next to the Starbucks coffee shop as well.
I loved the double showerhead w good water pressure, the best!
Parking space was not as small as I imagined. I had a minivan and was able to find good parking durng the day, though if you return at night you might not find one (they do valet park for free if you cannot find a space).
Best part of the resort was the grand lobby and the wonderful pools! My kids had a blast, they refused to play on the beach, and stayed by the pool all day. Plenty of kids having a good time around the pool area, perfect for families w young kids.
Resort is next to Whaler Village and beachwalk, nice for evening walk, watching sunset, good eats, and my kids visited Yogurtland (Whaler Village) daily.
The resort is undergoing renovation, and they better be, because their "disney" like water feasures and gardens might have met a match by the opening of Disney Aulani. Several of the conferences which used to take place in Westin had switched to Disney Aulani this year.
Overall we had a great experience and would return again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

This is the second year in row that my husband and I have stayed at the Westin Kaanapali. We had a wonderful time, once again. The one suggestion that I would like to make is if you really want to relax, upgrade from the studio to one bedroom. The lanai is much larger and you have more room to spread out.

• Stayed: April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!