“Wonderful Westin!”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reno, Nevada
“Wonderful Westin!”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We booked a five night package with Cathy from Saveonaloha.com (on offer that was advertised thru Travelzoo) to Maui in February. We are Westin owners and were upgraded to a sixth floor oceanfront room! The Westin tower we stayed in was being renovated, and our room was a little tired. However, it was very clean and the bed was, of course, Heavenly. Our package included a continental breakfast every morning by the pool, two cocktails daily, and a Hertz convertible! Everything the package offered was perfect...no surprises. The Westin had no problem with the vouchers and accepted them graciously. The staff was exceptional in every way. Of course, working in such a beautiful place would make anyone happy. There are five pools, one adult only and one with slides. I would recommend this hotel for anyone. We had no little ones but enjoyed watching the kids have a great time.

Room Tip: Request an upgrade...it never hurts to ask. :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jammer
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We are delighted you had an enjoyable island retreat with us. Your thoughtful and kind words on our service of excellence are sincerely appreciated and we will definitely share them with our team. Aloha and stay well!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,350)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
New Braunfels
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I read up on this hotel and debated really hard. Stay at a fancy place with kids, or use our starwood points and grin and bare it? Well, we picked using our starwood points. Don't expect to get upgrades at this hotel for your points. I don't know that the Sheraton is any better though. Westin was exactly like the reviews I read-good for a kid vacation. I would never go there with just my husband. The resort is still pretty, but old. They are doing renovations. The pool was actually nicer than many of the resorts down on that end as far as size and kid things, but no where near anything like the Grand Wailea. It was soooo cold. They said it is heated, but it is not. I wouldn't go to Hawii in March again because the pool and ocean were so cold. Our room was tiny and we looked at the parking lot which was under construction. However, it turned out we were hardly in our room and I kept saying--we used points here. We had fabulous food and drinks all over Maui EXCEPT our hotel. So, we walked next door alot to Lelanis and Hula Grill and they were both really good and much cheaper. You are next to great shopping at Whalers Village and a nice beach. It is what it is. Would I go back? I'm not sure. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't wonderful.

Room Tip: I would say spring for an ocean view room in the tower closer to the beach, but not overlooking the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jessica B
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
As we are committed towards creating an experience that exceeds guest satisfaction, your feedback is most welcomed. Please be assured that our pool temperature is heated to standard regulations but the island breezes tend to make the pools slightly cooler. We certainly hope you will return for more visits and enjoy exploring the island’s diverse offerings and scenic beauty. Malama pono (take care)
Hilo, Hawaii
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I brought our niece and nephew to the Westin for one day during their Spring Break. We love coming to Westins because we can bring our dog with us for no additional fee. As noted in other reviews, the property is older but they are going through renovations - they are spending $100 million according to one employee. Despite the noise from the construction, we enjoyed our time here. The pools were enjoyable and my niece and I enjoyed swimming in the ocean - saw an enormous turtle and multiple humuhumu nukunuku apua'a (Hawaii's state fish). We also enjoyed the Prime Rib Wednesdays. I can't believe my nephew ate all of his 12 oz prime rib then devoured one and a half strawberry shortcakes. We wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for providing us the opportunity to continually create a memorable experience for you and your family. We look forward to delighting you with our refreshed guestrooms on your next visit. And to welcoming back your lovable pooch to our pet-friendly resort. Warmest aloha from all of us!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in July for our honeymoon. The hotel is ideally located, right on the beach, well-maintained and clean, and convenient to Whalers Village. Amenities are good.

Poolside food and breakfast are good. Rooms are impeccably cleaned.

Overall, it is a good choice, but at $500 per night for a "De Luxe Oceanview" room, I did not expect that:
-You will have a hard time finding a chair by the pool, unless you arrive very early or show up at the end of the day. Some chairs can be reserved for $60 per day... As a result, people "save" chairs by leaving a towel. The rule is that you can't leave your chair empty for an hour, but is not enforced. So good luck with that.
- No chairs or parasols on the beach. Rental is $45 per day, because they can.
- My "De Luxe Oceanview" room did not face the ocean. It was more a side view of the ocean. At least, I was on the 10th Floor, so I did not hear too much of the noise from Whalers Village. You have a nice view of the ocean, but it's not the same as if you were directly in front of it.
- My experience is that they don't honor the late check-out for Starwood members. In my case, they said I didn't have a sufficiently high status, but why do I have it at other Westins?... Good question.

Overall, you will have a pleasant stay there on a great location and a well-run hotel, but include money in your budget for chairs because without that, you will not be able to relax and enjoy the pool and the beach as much as you should.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TopastroQc
We are truly sorry that we missed creating a renewing experience for you during your Maui visit. Your continued loyalty as a valued Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) is much appreciated, thank you. Rest assured that we will share your comments with our team as part of our continued endeavors to extend distinctive services. We await your return!
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

I would not stay here until the Westin is done with its construction which starts at the ungodly hour of 830a and goes until 5p. Forget about sleeping in or having a peaceful afternoon rest or a chat in the room. The drilling sound is enough to drive you bonkers. Hardly the stuff of a luxury resort. The facility itself is nice enough (although the bathroom shows its age). When I asked if I could have a comparable room that didn't have the headache-inducing noise, they offered a second floor room right above the parking space. Personally, never again. Grade F.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Westcoastboy181
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to read that you did not find relaxation during your stay. We look forward to sharing our enhancements and restoring your faith in us in the future. Malama pono (take care)
Dover, MA
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am a Platinum & Lifetime Gold member of the SPG program. My wife and I stayed one night at the Westin Maui in Feb 2013 using points. Bear in mind there is a $30 resort fee in addition to the room price. The Westin is located along the Kaanapali Pkwy and beach. There are numerous other hotels including the Sheraton Maui (see my review) and Westin Villas. We did not have a chance to stay at the villas.

We arrived at the Westin around 7pm and we parked our rental right in front of the the hotel entrance. We entered the lobby where we saw a large waterfall, black swans, Koi fish swimming. It was quite the entrance. As we made our way to the checkin desk we noticed how busy it was. Kids running around tons of people. It was almost like "Grand Central Station" in NYC. There was no line to check in and we got an upgrade to a "deluxe ocean view room" located on the 10th floor. We also got our room keys which served as the key card to the self parking lot also. We took the complimentray continental breakfast as our Platinum amenity. You could upgrade to the full buffet breakfast for like $10 pp ( ithink that was the right amount). We did upgrade the next morning and the buffet was very good.

We jumped back into our rental, used our room key to access the self parking area and took our bags and headed to the 10th floor. We were located in the Beach tower (smaller tower). Our room was nice and renovated, with a balcony overlooking the water and also over looking WHalers Village which was right next to the hotel. People have mentioned that being next to Whalers Vilage in these rooms you could hear trucks etc and that is true. WHalers is busy and when they get deliveries you constantly hear the trucks backing up, with the beep beep beep..etc..

Our room was located 2 rooms down from the elevators. We experienced the same issues that other people have pointed out. We heard the "whoosing" of the hydraulics of the elevators all night long. I was very surprised by this and I beleive there is no way to correct this. There is a design flaw in the hotel where the rooms close to the elevators will experience the "whoosing" sound. MY wife and I were laughing about the nosie we heard all night. Normally I would have asked for a room change but we were only staying one night then heading to the SHeraton Maui for the rest of the time.

The Westin is a large hotel and VERY Busy. Lots of kids running around, people milling around, parrots, macaws in bird cages...The Westin my guess would be great for familes but if you are looking for a low key, romantic place I would highly recommend the SHeraton Maui. The Sheraton is very low key, has a great Hawaiian feel with large breezeways, low key lobby etc ( please see my review)

The pool area is very large at the Westin with lots of thinks for the kids to do. It is right next to Whalers VIllage where you can shop, eat, etc...As I mentioned earlier we had the full buffet breakfast and enjoyed it quite a bit.. There are also vendors, coffee cart, shops located in the lobby.

The next morning I called down for a late checkout, usually as a Platinum I can check out at 4pm and I usually never call but for somereason I did. They denied me a late check out..wow in over 10 years with SPG I have never been shot down for a late checkout. I guess there is a first for everything. So we checked out at 12 and then headed to the SHeraton a 5min drive away and they had a nice upgrade waiting for us. (please see review).

Overall the room was nice, renovated, spacious enough but I would not stay here again. My wife and I like low key,romantic hotels wwhen we are in Hawaii (SHeraton Maui & SHeraton Kauai, St Regis Princeville ) and the Westin Maui was just to "busy" and not a hotel for us. The very noisy room with the "whoosing" of the elevator hydralics, the no late checkout did not provide a very relaxing environment. I am glad we stayed here to give us perspective on the difference between the Westin and Sheraton Maui.

Overall I just gave the Westin an average rating. Its the 2nd lowest rating I have given in my reviews. In my personal opinion this hotel is better suited for familes then for couples,honeymooners etc..Please see my other reviews on the Sheraton Maui, Sheraton Kauai and the St. Regis Princeville. Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank PlatinumPete
Mahalo for sharing your experience and for your long standing loyalty to Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Rest assured that our Starwood Preferred Guests are important to us and that we value their feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Maui for another romantic retreat. Aloha!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have stayed at the Westin Maui on Kaanapali Beach three times. Have stayed at other properties in Kaanapali but absolutely love the Westin's staff hospitality, the location, and how beautiful the property is. My wife and I checked in a day late due to missing our connecting flight from Honolulu because of having to make a stop on our original flight due to a medical emergency. The staff at the front desk was very helpful (as has always been my experience) and was able to accommodate the two requests that I asked for. Great location next to Whalers Village, lots of shops and a few restaurants. Awesome pool area...beautiful landscaping. Perfect beach area, love whale watching from the beach in March. Beautiful property and a knowledgeable,helpful staff. We loved our Garden View room. It was just my wife and I on this trip, but had our teenage children along on the two previous trips. Very kid friendly. Love the Westin Maui!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank swb0101
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Mahalo for sharing your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor. We are thrilled to have made your romantic retreat memorable. We truly appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back soon. Aloha!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!