“AN INCREDIBLE HOTEL”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you are looking for everything you think of in making your Maui stay perfect then look no further then this hotel!! My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights in January and we were overwhelmed by the beauty of this hotel. The location is perfect and they offer free shuttle service to Lahaina and to some of the shopping centers nearby. They also have limo/taxi service to and from the airport that's reasonable at $58. The food was excellent and I am only sorry that I didn't discover just how wonderful and reasonable their food was until our last night. The beach is absolutely gorgeous and everything about the hotel and grounds is impeccable. The beds are "heavenly" and I slept like a baby which is not something I usually do in hotels. The rooms are all up-to-date. The most exciting part I wanted to share was that I put my husband's wallet in the room safe and left it there when we checked out. It wasn't until we arrived back to the Philadelphia region the next day that we realized what had happened. I contacted the hotel security and they reported the wallet was put into the hotel's security lost and found. They immediately sent it out that day and we received it within 5 days! I am so pleased with our experience at the hotel in every way that matters. Their service, hospitality and comfort were impeccable. We will definitely return there again!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the gazebo and facing the ocean. I kept our door to the balcony open every...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Some of the reviews talked about a slow check in, but there were 4 people working the front desk when we were there and I never once saw a large line. We were greeted with a shell lei and offers of ice water. They were quite accommodating when I requested a room change. I had been given a handicap room and the set up was not the best. Very small bath vanity and awkward setup. This is in the part of resort being refurbished. The regular room we were given was quite nice. Great shower heads and the beds were very comfortable. It was a little worn, but then they are being refurbished.

The pools were great and we ate at the quick breakfast bar in the lobby with the Starbucks coffee. Never ate the buffet, $30 is too much for a breakfast. Great location next to Whaler's Village with shops and food choices. We took the resort shuttle to Lahaina and back a few times. It saved us trying to find parking and then we could have drinks with dinner. Also took the whale watching cruise with Gemini from right in front of the hotel. So convenient and an excellent crew.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

CAREFUL! DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL IF YOU WANT A 4-STAR RESORT in Maui! This hotel is clearly NOT anywhere near a 4-star hotel. Beware, the wireless internet is not free, and they are completely deceptive about the fact that you have to pay $15/day for the "enhanced" wireless internet. The "free" public one doesn't work at all. The "enhanced" is pathetically slow as well. The pool looks nice, but they keep it at a frigid temperature in August, so you can't even enjoy it! My year and a half-old son was shivering everytime we got in and out of it. All the other guests there with us were complaining about the cold pool temperature. The rooms are small and terribly furnished, barely worthy of a Motel 6, let alone an alleged 4-star resort. The buffet is average at best. As long as you are going to pay the jacked-up Maui prices, go to other hotels/resorts for better dining instead.

When we complained about the deception of their room quality the originally provided us, the manager, Alix, was completely unhelpful. They "upgraded" us into a large room that was better, but still not a 4-star quality. Worse, they didn't bother to tell us in the room me moved to, that they were painting every day in our hallway, and doing construction on the same floor, so we got to smell fresh paint and listen to construction noise in the morning and afternoons when coming and going from the room. A true resort would protect the experience of its guests by doing construction and maintenance one floor at a time without guests staying in neighboring rooms, but the Westin is simply not a 4-star resort. Doesn't compare to the Hyatt down the road in Kaanapali. Their service staff is rude, especially the ones that worked at the coffee kiosk downstairs.

Even worse was that they promised to provide us credit for our experience, and did not. Deceiving guests is even worse than simply bad service. Avoid this overpriced and dishonest hotel, and stay at another resort in Lahaina/Kaanapali/Kapalua instead. The only thing good about this place is the location in Kaanapali. But you could camp on the beach for free and that would be a better experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank IrvineDave
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. Your feedback is very important to us as we have shared them with our team. Please accept our heartfelt apologies for missing on making your stay memorable. We sincerely hope that you will give The Westin Maui Resort & Spa another chance to renew your spirit. Mahalo!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm pretty neutral on this resort. I could give a lot of bad and good, so I'll try to stick to a few important points. First off, we had just come from the grand Hyatt in Kauai, the staff at the westin should go take lessons. It was fabulous, so everything at the westin I compared to the Hyatt. Upon checking in at 2 we were told our room wasn't ready, we asked for an upgrade they said sure for $50 a night (the Hyatt gave us one), we said no thanks. We left, they called us an hour later and said it was ready, so we went to our room, room 225. The room was very average, dust on walls. Upon unpacking we kept hearing the elevator swoosh and the dinging at every floor. We called and asked if they turned off the dinging at night, they said no, so we asked to be moved. Long story short they said no rooms available (even though they wanted to sell us an upgrade). They said we could go a room with 2 doubles for 1 night then switch to a king bed. Fine, whatever as long as we don't hear dinging. We went to front desk, she we shocked that we could hear that, and I said I doubt we were the only ones to complain, she said yes, which isn't true I've since then read tons of reviews saying the same. Somehow she managed to find a room with king bed and we wouldn't have to move. We appreciated that, and it had ocean view. Bad start and impression. The room we were now in was much cleaner and updated. Great balcony, could see whales all the time from our balcony. The resort is very pretty. Very crowded and busy. Pool very busy, lots of kids, hard to find chairs. Resort is in a great location, walkable to snorkeling, shopping and tons of restaurants. Staff need some more lessons in customer service. Not very friendly, seem annoyed. We asked concierge multiple question and they never knew the answer. One time the girl brushed her hair the whole time I asked her something. Don't think about calling the front desk it will ring and ring and ring and no one will answer (occurred like 4 times). The front desk is staffed with 2 workers even during check in and check out times. Had to wait in line. Would I stay here again? Probably not, would probably go to deluxe hotel in wilea

Room Tip: Away from elevator
1  Thank Aoreilly
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I spent 6 days here last month. We came for the Wayne Dyer Seminar on site for two days, but were able to have also a wonderful engagement dinner, the Haleakala Sunrise tour, the Wale watching tour, a Luau on site and I escaped for two morning dives. Incredible trip. My first to Hawaii and everyone commented how special Maui is, and it is!
Ok back to the Hotel: it is located around 45 minute drive north-west. I changed on the last minute my SpeedyShuttle reservation for a rented car and that was a good idea! You will enjoy the drive, amazing landscape and perfect streets. At the Hotel you can use the self parking and whenever it's full they make a complimentary valet parking for you.
The reception area is amazing with a huge waterfall and many birds around, a good welcome to paradise.
The receptionist was kind to provide me all the information and my expected upgrade as a Gold member without even asking, perfect! I got therefore an ocean view (different than ocean front) but it was fine to be able to see the beach and not the back with the parking lot (which I saw the last day while I changed the room for the late check out, once again perfect treat for that!).
I was afraid because I read the charges for rentals on the beach and to be honest, we never took them, there's plenty space at one of the 3 or 4 pools (some connect to others that's why it seems they are more).
On site I only had quick salad lunch at the pool or at the small restaurant. I was never able to eat at Tropicana because they open only for dinner and we went outside for that. I can recommend the Hula at the mall, right next door or a short drive to Lahaina town centre with plenty of other options (see other reviews).
I arranged a Heavenly Sunset Private Dinner for my engagement. Price was not low, but definitely I got the perfect place and moment for that special occasion. A tent, a private spot and only one table, with plenty of flowers and candles (see pictures attached). Greg was our waiter and he made this moment perfect with his cute kindness, we could have had a most wonderful person sharing this moment with us (please please let him know that!).
I read somewhere that smalls are small; that's true and bathrooms too but, are you supposed to stay at your room all the time? No way! It's good enough for the time you spent back at your room and the heavenly bed is so comfortable and provides you the perfect sleep.
If you look for something cheaper, maybe the south area (near Wailea where I was for my diving) is much cheaper, and crowded too, but forget about the magic. Kanapali offers a paradisiac spot where you can walk around and enjoy the most romantic moments.
I would definitely come back here...maybe for a wedding? Seems the perfect place to do that ;)

Room Tip: Better choose an ocean view or ocean front. The mountain is nice but the view of the parking lot red...
Reviewed February 2, 2013

The hotel is clean and have friendly staff, very close to the beach nice place to sit and relax enjoy watching the sunset, or have a romantic dinner. The hotel is walking distance to the shopping center where there's Louis Vitton, Chanel, Coach, Karamel, Sephora, Pac sun, Ice cream parlor, ygurt land, Subway etc. There's a long strectch side walk where people can walk or jog while enjoying the ocean view and warm breeze. It's clean and people are polite "aloha" style" The hotel has also free shuttle that takes people around, the internet and parking included in the resort fee which is $30 not bad compared to SanFrancisco and New York City. Free two bottled water are also included in the resort fee. It was a good experience for me.

Room Tip: Higher floors and west facing rooms have nice ocean views. Garden view blocks the ocean but still ok...
Reviewed February 1, 2013

The pool area is the best on Maui. Katie and her staff run a wonderful pool area. The Lava flow drinks are the best. Always great pool waitstaff. Water is warm and plenty of chairs. The food is also very good.

Room Tip: Sun hits the pool area around 10:15am during the Winter months
1  Thank Bill D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!