“We were upgraded and were very grateful, that made it a wonderful holiday ...”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Lovely grounds but rooms are dated.nthey are in the process of up grading. When you are booking ensure you don't get a room over looking the car park or restaurants. Ask for a pool view room. The service dependant on who you spoke to. Some of the staff were delightfully helpful and some were the opposite. That said we have had a lovely holiday. It does help to be with someone you enjoy spending time with :) thank u

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed January 28, 2013

First off- Maui is beautiful- its my 5th time on the island, and I will be back- However, We originally came to the Westin Maui Resort And Spa to plan our large destination wedding, but after our horrible stay here, I would not dream of having my guests be exposed to the horrible staff, dirty rooms and snake oil timeshare salesmen at the Westin in Maui.

The front desk staff was incredibly rude from the moment we checked in and throughout our entire stay. The man at the front desk when we checked in and asked for an upgrade, as we did not want to overlook the parking lot, rudely said that people pay him for those upgrades. then he snapped at us to hurry up and make a decision on which room to choose, as there were people waiting. One night They sent us up a bottle of cider to celebrate our engagement, and it took them so long that we had to leave. they didn't even sent a bottle opener, so we were never even able to drink it. Additionally, our room keys did not work, and we needed to have them replaced every day. Each time the front desk staff made a different excuse up as to why it was our fault that it wasn't working. Meanwhile a security guard staff said that was not true, and that the hotel has been having problems with room keys for months. It was extremely inconvenient. One day when i came to exchange my nonworking keys, the front desk woman chastised me fir standing in the gold/platinum line, because I am not a gold member. Please keep in mind this was the 6th time I was exchanging no working keys. she was very rude and said it loudly in front if other guests. Furthermore, this same woman continually gave me false information about a spinning class that I wanted to sign up for, which led me on an hour long wild goose chase throughout the hotel, resulting in me almost missing the class.

Additionally, we were hassled about timeshares that we were not interested in by the concierges repeatedly after making it clear we were not interested. They were using deceptive tactics to repeatedly hassle us about the timeshares, such as tote bags, a card in the hotel room that said to check with the concierge if we won starwood points, and cheap Hawaiian chocolates. it felt like we were being haggled by a used car salesman. We came there to relax, not to be harassed about timeshares.

Furthermore, the rooms were filthy, and we could not get maid service until after 4pm each day! After the maids came, there was sand in the bed sheets, the "clean" towels were dirty, etc. From the moment we checked in the room was dirty and there was even hair stuck to the ceiling. My fiancé has stayed at the Sheraton in Maui and said it was MUCH nicer with nicer staff an clean rooms.

Also, nobody ever greeted us when we walked in. The valet people were rude. We drove over to the Ritz Carlton one day, and the staff were so friendly and warm there, even though we weren't guests. Each person said Aloha to us, unlike the Westin, where the staff was too rude and talking to each other and texting on their cell phones rather than saying hello.

Additionally, on more than one occasion I had to get staff involved to get small children ejected from the adult only jacuzzi and pool area. At one point I was sitting in the Jacuzzi, and a little boy came in with his mom and started peeing, and then said "it feels great to pee in the hot tub". I called on a pool manager to have the boy taken out of the hot tub. the manager did not do anything, and they certainly did not drain the Jacuzzi or treat it with chlorine.

Room Tip: cash- The front desk person actually told us that guest pay him for upgrades-
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Mahalo for sharing your review with us on Tripadvisor. We are disappointed to learn about the occurrences that affected your romantic getaway. Your feedback is very important to us. Please accept our sincere apologies and rest assured our team is following up on the concerns you mentioned. Thank you for bringing these events to light so we may improve on our services. Warmest aloha

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is my first review on Tripadvisor, and I am posting because I have utilized this service multiple times recently for my own trips, and I was hoping to give back to others that are looking for some reliable information.

For this particular property, the Westin Maui Resort and Spa in Ka'anapali, there seem to be widely varying reviews, and the hotel was generally disliked by those expecting nicer rooms. In my opinion this is an excellent property to stay at in Maui for a number of reasons which I will list below. There are some cons as well, but they were not enough to persuade me to believe this isn't a good choice for anyone traveling to this area.

PROS:
1. Beautiful grounds and well kept. 5 separate pools, including one adult only deck if you prefer to stay away from children using the slides, volleyball nets, etc.
2. Amazing spa experience - my husband and I were there on our honeymoon and had a Cabana style massage with Josh and Tina. Both were the best massages we have had in quite a while, and both Josh and Tina were extremely qualified and professional. We did not utilize the indoor portion of the spa, so I can't comment on that, but from what I saw it was very nice as well. Has co-ed lounge, but no co-ed sauna/steam room which is why we didn't use it.
3. Busy and popular beach area with a number of restaurants to choose from at Whaler's Village which is just down the beach from the hotel, and you also have signing options at the Sheraton Hotel which is about a 8-10 minute walk down the beach which offers you three more restaurants to choose from, which you can still sign to your room, so you don't have to worry about carrying around a wallet/cash etc. if you don't want to.
4. Although the beach is busy (I enjoyed that) it is a gorgeous white sand beach and the water is great. Some people prefer more quiet/secluded beaches which this wasn't, but I loved how lively it was.
5. Close to the "Black Rock" (right at the Sheraton) - great place for a 20ft cliff jump which my husband and I both braved, as well as decent snorkling. It can get sandy when the current is rough and this reduces visibility, but still a fun spot where we saw a turtle quite up close and personal. There are many locations to snorkel in Maui which you can also go to, but nice to have an option right by your hotel.

CONS:
1. In my opinion the food selection wasn't the greatest at the hotel itself. There is the Ono Grill which is the lower end restaurant here - good service but food choice selection isn't the best. There is also the pricier Tropica which had excellent high end service and very good food (wait staff knew the menu well and were very attentive) but its more expensive. But nevertheless, lots of other restaurants within walking distance or in Lahaina if you want to venture out so you're not just tied to the hotel to eat.
2. The hotel rooms could use a little touch up for sure. Seems to be the case in most Hawaiian hotels from what I have read. I would say the room quality at the moment is that of a 3 star type location. However they were renovating the top floors when I was staying there, and I'm sure they will be much nicer once that is complete. Of note, during my stay you may never have even noticed renos going on - they were very careful to remain discrete.
3. Line at the check in was often long but they were still helpful when you got there. Would be nice if they had more staff at busy times, but that was a minor issue for me. Its a few extra minutes out of your trip, and definitely not enough to make me dislike the hotel overall.

TIPS FOR MAUI IN GENERAL:
1. Check out the Expedia Center in Lahaina across from Banyan Tree before booking any tours. The tours from here are the same ones you would book at the hotel, but for some reason much less expensive (like 40% cheaper, probably because it's through expedia)
2. Don't be afraid to drive to Hana - windy road but fun for anyone that likes driving!
3. Twin Falls is a great place to swim in a waterfall, despite reviews saying it wasn't - we loved it.
4. Good tour companies we used and loved - Pacific Whale Foundation for snorkling. I will write a separate review for this, but check them out.

Hope this was helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Sheliza A
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Highly recommended. Unbelievable swimming pools. Beautiful gardens with fish and birds and unusual plants. Hotel staff extremely friendly and helpful. Received a great upgrade to ocean view. Rooms extremely clean. If we have the money, we will definitely be back to Maui and back to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bob B
Reviewed January 25, 2013

After traveling across US all day and arriving to check in at 10:30 pm was told all the restaurants on site and bar was closed!!! They don't even have a vending machine on site so couldn't purchase even a snack!!
Room was pathetically dirty and carpet had a large reddish stain( looked like someone had gutted a deer and didn't clean up) A little humor, but Seriously, we called front desk and they sent someone up with cleaning machine but on return to our room the stain was still there. We asked for a throw rug so we wouldn't have to walk on or look at this for 10 days and were told all they could do was give us bath towels to cover it!!! Room# 309 if anyone cares.
The grounds were beautiful and nice stores nearby for shopping as well but everything closes around 10 or 11 at night so disappointed that a person can't relax and enjoy a drink or two in evening when on vacation like most resorts offer! What a joke!!!!
When I asked to upgrade and pay for a larger room or suite was told all rooms were full and of same quality anyway as they were "in process of renovating". Why would a hotel with the Westin name wait for apparently many years to renovate? They should be constantly keeping rooms clean and updated for obvious reasons including..... if they want to attract repeat visitors. Even a typical Holiday Inn or Quality Inn would outshine this place!! Bathroom was small and one tiny sink with less than a foot of vanity space to place items.
It is a shame that with such a nice location and beautiful pool area, the management doesn't care enough to keep their rooms modernized and carpets, fixtures, etc replaced as needed to give the overall experience of being there satisfactory.
I will not be staying there again as this was not the Westin quality or experience I expected!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Rolexeddie

Mahalo for your thorough review of your recent stay. Please know that we truly care about your experience and sincerely apologize for these inconveniences. As we enhance our resort features on a continuous basis we appreciate your feedback. We hope to share these improvements with you in the future. Malama pono (take care)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed 6 nights at the Westin. Its location is ideal...beachfront and right beside Whalers Village with many shops and restuarants. Grounds and pools are lovely as is the lobby area. This hotel is huge so many people around and certainly not quiet. Many families as well with lots of children running about. Rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable but space seemed very cramped. If you are lucky enough to have an ocean facing view you will have a nice scene to wake up to daily but if you are on the backside of the hotel you will face the parking lot...suppose to be a 'mountain view' but it's hard not to see the parking lot first!
We found the restuarants to be very high priced and went elsewhere to eat. As with many resorts in Maui, they charge you a daily fee for the facilities. In my opinion, being a beachfront hotel, this SHOULD include the use of beach chairs but the Westin wants to get every penny possible out of you so they charge you $25 a day to rent a chair. I probably would not stay at this property again as a condo while in Maui just makes way more sense. Rooms here are not cheap and add the food bill to it and you have a very expensive holiday. I understand they have a meal plan for children - that and they extensive pool facilities for children certainly are attractive to families....ones who can afford it at least!

Room Tip: Oceanview is the only way to go.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tanfan

Thank you for choosing the Westin Maui Resort & Spa. We appreciate your valuable feedback and have shared them with our team. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Aloha!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The resort is in a great location on Maui. It is perfectly situated near lots of shops and restaurants with Whaler's Village right next door and is a very short drive to Lahaina's shopping area. The hotel itself has BEAUTIFUL grounds, the landscaping is gorgeous. The rooms are nice and comfortable and clean.
Also took a helicopter tour about an hours drive from the resort that was breathtaking! Ate in Lahina a couple of nights at Honu and Mala. Both were on the water and excellent!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!