“Best spot in Kaanapali!”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The lobby is absolutely stunning with the LIVE pink flamingos and black swan swimming in the pond that resembles a rain forest. The water slides & rock waterfalls lend a wonderful ambiance to the ocean side pools. Service here is phenomenal on all fronts and we enjoyed the Starbucks cafe each morning. Unlike the Westin Princeville who only offers a $10 voucher for their Greening Program ( you can opt out of maid service for a day) the Westin Maui offers 500 Starwood points for opting out! Much greater incentive than a restrictive $10 voucher that can onlybe used for breakfast (which was already provided in our stay----voucher had to be used same day, could not be used for items in the market or alcohol) Thank you Westin Maui for you flexiblity!
This hotel gives you great access to the beach walk that connects all the Kaanapali beach hotels & the Whaler Mall & restaurants!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeanann J
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Aloha! We sincerely appreciate your comments. We are delighted to know you took advantage of our Make a Green Choice Program and enjoyed our prime location. We eagerly await your next visit. Stay well.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Hawaii is of course beautiful. The west coast of Maui is lovely. The hotel itself is beautiful with a huge pond of koi INSIDE. It actually has a black swan and flamingo inside in the pond.
And they had the largest koi I have ever seen!
The rooms are fine, what we had was rather typical with two double beds and balcony.
The service unfortunately in my opinion left a LOT to be desired.
It started at our arrival....tired from our flght and handling lugguage, I pulled up to the
hotel, dropping off my companion, and heading to the self parking after asking
the valet in the drop off location. There was a gate to get into the self park which
I was told they would open for me. I waited, and waited, and waited. I finally had
to get out of the car and walk back to the area where multiple valets and porters
were standing around. I don't know if it was because I elected to self park rather than
pay valet parking prices???? But I waited far too long to be let into the parking lot.

Then we went to check in. There were only two people at the front desk, and
one was tied up with a family with some problem. The line was long and we
waited literally over a 1/2 hr to check in. The people behind the front desk
were not at all friendly and did not do anything to try to be helpful. One was
given a room card and a towel card, without any explanation of which was
which and they were not clearly marked. We couldn't get into the room until
we tried all cards in all directions...no offer to help with lugguage, etc.
No information about the hotel, where the elevators were, about anything..
just heres your card, sign here....
Room for fine as I said, except there was no bath mat in the tub. I really
was afraid of slipping, and there was a sheet in the reading materials in
the room that said one could ask for items if needed, including a rubber
bath mat. I had to request that three times over the course of the next
two days. When it finally was given to us, I found it thrown in the tub in a
ball - apparently my request had been too much trouble for them. And
I WAS tipping daily in the room, leaving it for the person who cleaned
the room.
Nice sized balcony. No on site activities like we had had on the Big Island
a the Marriott.
Conceige gave very incorrect information about a recommended tour.
There was a problem with our check in/pricing. We got a phone message
to call conceirge...no one every answered at that number in spite
of calling for two days. No one at the front desk or conceirge desk
could help, they all kept saying I had to talk to the person in the
back off who called. They could not get these folks on the phone
when they called; they said I could not go back to talk to them.
So I spent too much vacation time trying to straighten things out.

LOVED the Marriot on the Big Island...staff could not have tried
any harder to make guests happy. I wish I had known to reserve
the Maui Marriott. I think we could have been much much happier.

Oh, and the restaurant prices in the Westin were outrageous.
The small coffee shop was never open the posted hours, so
getting something to eat in the hotel was actually a problem.
There were some very nice shops
and a convenince store that was above average.
Computer use was a problem too...one is supposed to get 15 minutes
free computer time per day, but they need to enter your name
in their computer for you to have access. They don't do this
automatically. So after trying and trying to access the computer, I
finally had to walk all the way back to the front desk and wait in
line for 10 minutes to get help. And as any other time I had to
go to the front desk, they just didn't appear to be interested...

All in all, I doubt I will ever check into a Westin anywhere else
that I travel.

Room Tip: We couldn't have been farther from the elevators, and we had asked specifically not to be too r...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank CTCAT123
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Aloha! Words cannot express our regret for failing to attend to your needs during your stay with us. Rest assured that the relevant departments have taken necessary measures to prevent similar recurrences. Please accept our sincere apologies and allow us another opportunity to delight you with distinctive experiences. Warmest aloha from all of us.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I read through some of the reviews and they pretty much cover it. TheXtraPicky Traveler's review pretty much summed it up for me - he wrote a good review so I will not go into all the details.
We also stayed at the Four Seasons so comparing it there are no comparisons. I was disappointed since I am an SPG Gold member and I used points to book the stay and felt not important and given a small smelly room. When I complained they did move me to a much better room but I felt as though the whole thing was annoying them and they were put out.
The first room was in the older tower and view of the parking lot. It was small and reminded me of an older Holiday Inn. Not happy I used that many points to book that kind of room. The door did not even close all the way as it hit the carpet. The vanity was small and the whole room smelled of mildew.
The area is nice and the walk around the walking path along the beach is awesome. The shops right next door are also very nice and some good restaurants there as well.
I am a picky traveler also and I do expect certain standards but I was just not impressed with this experience. I will not be back as I think for the money the Four Seasons on Maui is worth every penny. We also went to Lana'i and it was awesome as well. The trip over is worth it if you do make the trip to Maui.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We came back after Thanksgiving because I got 4 nights free with my SPG points. We picked Westin because of its location.

The rooms were clean but are in need of upgrading. Breakfast buffet was expensive and the food was not very good. The new towel card policy was a little annoying. It's just one extra thing we needed to think about when we were on vacation.

We probably will not pay full price for this property. With points...Why Not!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank uptown_girlNY
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience and valuable feedback. We look forward to creating a distinctive experience for you on your return visit. Until then, stay well and warmest aloha from all of us at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

We lost electricity for a day. Local prob not hotel but not even a note from management felt wrong. The discussion on Maui: Lahaina vs Wailea is the real question. Last in Lahaina 30 yrs ago. Wailea 2 yrs ago. I would prob not go back to Kanaapoli. Florida without the great beaches. Everything about Wailea is fresher, more eco friendly, more serene, a great beach. Shopping centers and restaurants, things to do cropping up everywhere so no longer sleepy, but far enough removed from hotels to not intrude on beauty. I went to the Fairmont several times this trip and that property far outshines the Westin. AND it would have been cheaper. Stayed at Four Seasons 2 years ago and liked the Fairmont much better, NOT cheaper. The Westin was fine but nothing special. $5 for a dry bagel when no electricity? If you dont have a car there is a convenient free shuttle to downtown Lahaina.

Room Tip: Ocean Tower worth the cost of upgrade. I was initially put in a room overlooking the facilities pla...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank mdmoc

Mahalo for sharing your review and feedback on Tripadvisor. We truly hope you had the opportunity to enjoy our dining options and unique activities. We look forward to welcome you back to the islands soon. Aloha!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Great views, awesome pool and a beautiful stretch of beach. The service at the restaurants is very slow and the food is just okay. We've stayed at the Westin Maui several times throughout the years and always enjoyed it. Hawaii is paradise and this resort is ideally situated for both relaxation and adventure. It's a nice place for couples and families thanks to the nearby shops/restaurants just a very short stroll along the beach path away.

Room Tip: Rooms on the southern side of the hotel are quieter and have better views. We had a room on the nort...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I spent our Christmas in Maui,Hawaii at the Westin Maui Resort And Spa, and the the resort and staff were all AAA+. The hotel was very clean, the food was good and the shuttle service that they provide to take into Lahaina is a definite plus so no car is needed and if you do not want to go into Lahaina the Whalers Village outdoor shopping center is a 3 minute walk next door where you can shop and eat Nikkis Pizza I found to be very good at an affordable price. The Westin Maui Resort And Spa provides many options for your enjoyment a definite consideration if you are vacationing in Maui.

Room Tip: The room was great and we had a partial view of the ocean and we were on the third floor, so if you...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!