“Paradise in Kanapali Beach”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Westin Maui Resort and Spa, words cannot express how much I love this resort. The resort is located at the center of the Kanapali Beach Resort, located next to Whaler's Village and the center of many shops, restaurants, as well as steps from the beach itself. The Resort itself has two pools on the property, one pool is for all ages, while the other pool is strictly for adults. Both pools are amazing, about 4 to 5 feet deep so if you are not a swimmer you do not need to be worried about drowning. I recommend you bring your underwater camera, there are plenty of pictures to be taken in the pool, near the waterfall, and under the waterfall.

I have been to this resort a few times before and each room that I have stayed in is amazing. This past time my wife and I had a pool and ocean view. It was so beautiful that we were able to watch the sunset from our room every night. You can also here the waves crashing at night when it is quiet and if you leave your balcony door open. Rooms were cleaned, always looked great, and the housekeepers did a great job. September is usually when the off season begins so the hotel was not overcrowded in the pool area, so we pretty much had our selection of where to sit and kick back.

The adult pool area has a bar area where you can have drinks and mingle with the crowd. I enjoyed my time at the spa, I had a great massage there, as well as the 24 hour fitness center on the property. My wife and I took a few spin classes with Alicia (I hope I spelled her name correctly), which kept me in shape while there. The restaurants at the hotel were excellent, the Tropicana restaurant has beautiful views of the ocean, especially at night. I recommend requesting a reservation by the tables on the beach, it is unbelievable. The Ono Bar also had a great all day menu, which includes the pool menu. Try their Maui-Maui Burger, you will not be disappointed.

The entire resort was the best I have ever been to. You also have the tours and activites desk at your disposal to decide on outside resport activities. Make sure to ask about the Feast of Lele, the best luau on the island. The resort has plenty to see so be sure to bring your camera because there is plenty to take pictures of.

The only negative part of the Westin experience was the wait time during the check in process. Be prepared to wait on line when you first arrive because the front desk agents spend alot of time with each guest during check in, answering questions and providing guests with resort materials, pamphlets, etc. This is just a minor flaw which is pretty much forgotten once the check in process is complete.

I highly recommend making your stay at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa. You will not be disappointed.

-Victor

Room Tip: Ask for the Ocean View, or the Partial Ocean View facing the pool. Be nice to the front desk person...

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We go to Maui often. This year was my 30th visit including the trips with my parents. We have stayed at the Westin at least 12 times. The positives include: good beach, great pools (including an adults only pool and jacuzzi, GREAT gym, nice spa. We are aware, despite the dated decor views from the rooms are wonderful.

I made our reservation with Starwood. The first question I ask every time...for any hotel...is there construction? The answer was firmly in the negative...nothing planned nothing in the works.

I booked full ocean view, not the deluxe ocean view. We arrive and. I must say the the two women working the desk were rude. I heard one woman demand the know what year their children were born. She was really rude. No smile..nothing. Our person was a tiny bit more friendly. We were given room 745. Remember this: the only view that we got was a huge palm tree totally blocking any view. I was not happy...but decided not to make a fuss. We were in Maui. The next morning I heard banking..but this could easily be a room with a plumbing issue...ok we went the pool.

THEN we got a note....all rooms in the original building would be without water for three hours the next day (and the next and probably for entire stay. I do NOT pay a lot of money per night to have this nonsense.

I went back down to the desk and asked to speak with a manager. Alex came and we talked. Her first words were that they would wave the resort fee (as of this writing that didn't happen...it is under review) but she would find us a room in the new section if we were willing to pack. We were and we got a wonderful room. I heard that they were moving as many (who complained) to the new wing. But for many people no move, including honeymooners who had planned this trip for a year were stuck in the old building with plumber sounds and no water.

Warning: It is NOT pleasant. Work in Maui starts at 7 in the morning. And they were turning down, due to lack of space. Alex, the manager said that they sent out emails....we never got one. No one at the pool received this email message.

The pool staff definitely enforced the no children in the adult pool. But, I imagine due to towel theft, they have an annoying pool towel rules with cards/names/rooms.

Our room included the buffet breakfast: excellent omelet station, fresh fruit...don't bother with the french toast, pancakes...cold and tasteless.

Honestly, if you are in the new wing the Westin is fine. There are noise issues (background at the pool), some good employees, some not so good. We loved our second room. But if we weren't switched I would be livid. I am waiting for the word on whether our resort fee will be refunded. And to the honeymoon couple, with the crying bride because they were stuck in a loud no water room, this is the honeymoon from hell.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank ellebud
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Your feedback is very important to us and we have ensured that our leadership team is fully aware of the issues you encountered during your stay. Whilst the water shut off was necessary we do sincerely apologize for this interruption to our normal exceptional services. We look forward to speaking with you soon to ensure your billing was settled correctly and that we have addressed your concerns. Again, mahalo for your valuable feedback. We look forward to restoring your confidence is us. Aloha

Reviewed October 5, 2012

I signed up wih trip advisor specifically to write this review. The Westin Resort in Maui Rocks! I have been to Maui a few times before and have previously checked out the Westin but this was my first time staying there. We stayed 8 nights and wished we were still there! The hotel and grounds are truly impressive. The pool area is hands down the best in Kaanapali, ample chairs and different zones/pools (quiet/active/adult/children) to choose from depending on your needs. The room was great, the beds were comfortable, and the views of the ocean could be on a postcard. When I had a slight issue with my room (close to the elevator) Grace at the front desk provided excellent customer service, was extremely helpful and courteous, and found us a different room in another part of the hotel. I was truly impressed with Grace and the rest of the staff and can't wait to come back to the Maui Westin!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Mahalo for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. We are most grateful that you have recognized Grace for her memorable service and aloha spirit. Thank you for choosing The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. We hope to welcome you back for another unforgettable island escape. Malama pono (take care)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

The first impression of the Westin was not good, but thankfully it was not indicative of the rest of our stay. The long wait in line to check in really isn't a good first impression - they definitely need to fix this issue. We stayed here for a week in September, 2 adults, 2 kids in adjoining rooms. The rooms are standard hotel size, not big enough for 4 people to stay in for a week, so we were very happy we decided to splurge and get 2 rooms. The beds are indeed heavenly and the pillows very comfy. Our ocean/pool views were amazing! I found our rooms to be perfectly clean and housekeeping did a great job, even tucking my daughter's soft toy into her bed every day after making it. The pool area is fantastic, a huge area with 5 pools to choose from and a water slide. There are HEAPS of lounges with lots of umbrellas if you would like shade. My kids (aged 8 and 10) were in heaven. We loved the cockatoo (being Aussies) and stopped to say 'aloha' to him several times each day, and give him a pat. We found the Ono grill to be reasonably priced and it had a very good kid's menu, including a healthy option. The breakfast buffet was not cheap but the range was very good. There is a cafe type stall for a more informal breakfast which we used quite a bit. The resort is right next to the Whalers' Village, so I think it's in prime position on Ka'anapali Beach. We found the Westin wonderfully relaxing, with a friendly vibe, and would love to visit again one day. The only negative was when the children went to the concierge to get our 'complimentary chocolates', we found we had been tricked into sitting down for a time-share spiel. The woman seemed reluctant to hand over the chocolates once we realised what was happening and told her we weren't interested. She was not open with what she was trying to do, instead trying to get us to just tour a couple of other properties. Once I had got her to say that yes, it was a time-share thing, I told her clearly we weren't interested. She took the form from me and proceeded to fill out my personal details on it! I was not impressed with that at all, I felt pressured, like she wasn't listening and it wasn't really how you want to be made to feel when you're on holiday. However she was the exception, other staff were great, especially the wait staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is our second stay at The Westin Maui. We booked an ocean view room but were 'upgraded' to a deluxe ocean room which we thought was a great start. The room was in the Beach Tower on the 10th floor and was larger and had a sofa bed which worked well for us. The room was a good standard, good bathroom and clean. The problem was that we overlooked the Whalers Village and part of the ocean. The Whalers village was very loud both day and night. No one wants to wake up on holidays at 6am every morning to the sound of delivery trucks reversing and making a beeping sound.......after 8 nights we were definitely over it!
The renovations were underway on the Ocean Tower and didn't bother us.
Pool and water slides were great.
The food at Ono Bar & Grill has really declined in quality so we only ate there once during our stay.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing Whalers Village
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We just came back from our honeymoon, stayed at Westin from 9/13-9/22. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. I travel a lot and have stayed at cleaner, friendlier 2 star hotels for a third of the cost of Westin. This place is far below average. I don't bother ever writing reviews but I want to write this one to warn future honeymooners or anyone looking to stay in this area. The reason I give it a 2 star instead of 0 is because the location is convenient and the pools are nice. This place is way understaffed, and check in and check out takes about 20 mins each. The staff is unfriendly and seems bothered anytime you ask them a simple question. They are unknowleadgeable and undertrained, as they can't answer simple questions. Any time you ask a question you get a deer in the headlight look, like how would I know? Whatever happened to Aloha and customer service Westin? There was nothing "heavenly" about their lumpy beds and super heavy blankets. Our room was disgustingly dirty and never cleaned properly even though we left them tips every single day to encourage better cleaning, hoping every day that they would actually do more than just exchange towels. I found water on the bathroom floor a few times, puddles of it. Westin is lucky we aren't a sue-happy couple. Speaking of which, our water was turned off on 9/22 from 12-5am.Why turn the water off at 12am if you know many people who are on vacation don't go to bed at 9pm? After we came back from a night out and called to ask where we can brush our teeth, the front desk said "go to the Beach Tower". Beach Tower is the next building over. At 12.30am the last thing I want to do is walk to the next hotel tower in my pj's to brush my teeth. Why not offer to bring up some bottled water for this inconvenience? Furthermore, the shower smelled like rusty pipes and toilet water. I couldn't wait to get home and wash up in a clean shower to get all the nasty smell out of my hair. Every single night we could hear noise of moving heavy objects in the room above us, which would go on for hours in the middle of the night when we were sleeping. I understand they are doing renovations, but I paid big bucks to stay here and I paid to have water available at 12am and I expect to get a decent night sleep. If Westin wanted current guests to suffer for the improvement of future guest stays, they should've offered a discount during renovations. I told my husband multiple times that I couldn't wait to get back home. This was the first time EVER during a vacation that I couldn't wait to go back home. I couldn't believe it. The amount of disadvantages of this place are inexcusable for any place at this price level. We tried to forget all the negatives and enjoy our honeymoon anyway but couldn't help but feel as if we were staying at a $50/night cheap motel. There is nothing that the Westin can do to fix the once in a lifetime honeymoon experience we can never get back. It made me really sad that one of the most important and enjoyable occasions of our lives was negatively influenced with this awful place, and we will forever be associated with our honeymoon. We even told them when we checked in that we were on our honeymoon, not even to get a congratulations. I felt zero Aloha spirit at this place. I have stayed at 2 star hotels with much friendlier staff. We didn't expect to be treated any more special because we know many honeymooners stay here, but we did expect a smile once in a while and not be treated as if we weren't even there. I don't think I saw one staff member smile during our stay here. We chose this place based on reviews but it isn't what you'd expect. It may have been a decent place in the past, but you will be disappointed if you have above average expectations for this hotel. As I said we were there in September 2012 and this is the current condition of this place. Our family members stayed at Fairmont for a few bucks more, but it was heavenly compared to the rundown Westin. There are many hotels to choose from especially in this price range, so if you are looking for a clean relaxing place to stay, do not stay here.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
3  Thank FrequentTraveler840
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Aloha and congratulations on your union! Mahalo for sharing your candid review. Please know that your feedback is very important and valuable to us. The concerns mentioned are not representative of our standards and for that we sincerely apologize. Rest assured that our leadership team has followed up on the points you outline in your review. Thank you for allowing us to enhance the areas you have highlighted. All the best!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at the Westin and we both really enjoyed our stay. We had a mountain view room and had no issue with noise from the parking lot. It was great waking up every morning with a view of the mountains. The bathrooms are small but there sink/mirror is on the outside of the bathroom so it didn't cause an issue with getting ready to go out. Slept well in the beds and the robes were nice to slip into after a shower.

Pools are nice, we picked this hotel because it had an adults only pool but we only used it on the last day. The water seemed a little cold but wasn't cold enough that we didn't enjoy it. The slides were fun. Beach was warm. Hotel is close to black rock for good snorkeling.

Good restaurants close by. We went to Nikki's pizza for breakfast and lunch and would always spend $15 or less for the two of us. It was a good quick bite. Leilani's Beachside Grill and Hula Grill were nice dinner choices next to the hotel. I would suggest heading to front street for dinner as well. It's nice checking out the little shops and front street has lots of good dinner and dessert choices.

We had a late flight so they held on to our bags after checkout. It was nice being able to make the most of our last day in Maui.

1  Thank Monique0225
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!