“Great stay in Maui”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We received a mailer to stay at the hotel for discounted price as part of their timeshares promotional rate. It was indicated that there was no requirement to attend the presentation, so we figured why not. So, off we went...

We stayed for 6 days, 5 nights.

The goods:
- The hotel itself is beautiful. The fountain especially is breathtaking. (I wouldn't get too closed to the flamingos though :/)
- Beautiful pools.
- Excellent customer service. Everyone was very nice and very accommodating.
- Very comfortable "heavenly" bed
- We were upgraded upon arrival, which was a very nice surprise.
- Excellent drinks. We lounged around the pools the whole time we were there and were not disappointed by their drink selections
- Location was convenient. We were closed enough to drive to Lahaina town. We walked to Whaler Village Mall, that's literaly next to the hotel
- The restaurant/bar by the pool had free nightly shows.
- You can sign up to a lot of different activities, especially for children, if that's important.

Things that can be improved:

- Again, the rate we got was part of their timeshare promotional, therefore, we were hounded by the timeshare lady as soon as we checked in. We just walked into our room, and our phone had started ringing. She informed us to stop by her desk for a $ 75 gift certificate that we could use towards anything at the resort. We told her we would stop by when we had a chance. Well, she called and called and called and called, and left at least two messages each day. She even dropped by our room a few times and left notes. Even though we knew what we were getting into before we booked this trip, this was still very annoying. My husband finally went to pick up this gift card she kept on referring to in her messages. Maybe we were just lucky, but she wasn't working then, and another lady gave us the gift card without giving us the sales pitch. We used the gift card towards our drinks :)

- The room itself was very small. We couldn't have both of our suitcases out in the room. We had to take turn opening our suitcases, which was a real pain.

- We had couple massage at the spa. While we were happy with our massages, I was a little disappointed by the facility. The woman side, at least, was very small. The whirlpool was also very small. I've been to a lot of spas, so perhaps I'm just a bit spoiled?? By the time we were done with our massages, we had about an hour and half left before closing and was told by our therapists to take our time and . I wasn't the only one left, but I sure felt like I was being rushed out. There was no drinking water left, for instance. The lady that was cleaning kept on walking back and forth and as she walked by, she'd look at her watch. I felt bad about staying in there, so I ended up rushing. I ended up waiting for my husband who got to enjoy the full spa experience for another 30 mins or so.

Generally, we were very happy with Westin Maui. We would most likely go back.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SnowPrincess1206
There are newer reviews for The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Reviewed February 18, 2008

We stayed at the Maui Westin for 5 nights.

Our friends went there on a package to see the timeshare, but we booked our room for $335 per night. After taxes and fees it was almost $400.

Upon check-in, the staff said that we requested adjoining rooms. I said that we did not need adjoing room but wanted to be on the same floor. He replied that we were on the 10th floor and they were on the 3rd. ADJOINING ROOMS???

After screwing around for 15-20 20 minutes, he said we had a better level room and the only thing he could do was switch our friends from a king bed to 2 double beds. I don't know how that had anything to do with getting on the same floor.

While the grounds and the pools were excellent, the rooms were small and outdated. The furniture was good quality but the room was so small the table was pushed up against the TV credenza and there was no place to store the luggage.

The toilet seat wouls not stay up, so as a man, going to the bathroom was a real challenge.

The next day I talked to a woman manager at the front desk and told her we were very disappointed in the size of the room, the toilet seat problem, and how this room is not what should be expected of a Westin.

She repeated that our Mountain view room was a better level room than our friends. I told her that our friends have a full view of the ocean from their room. She instisted they didn't even though we saw it for ourselves. I told her I would be willing to downgrade to a worse level room if it meant we had an ocean view.

She offered a $100 total discount on our stay and said the toilet seat would be fixed.

No one came to fix the toilet seat and by the 4th day of our stay I finally contaced a property manager. He offered to comp a few days for a future visit and said he would get the toilet fixed right away. By that evening, no one had still come to fix the tiolet seat. I left a voice mail message for the manager.

As we were checking out, a maintenance man was in our room to fix "the loose toilet seat"? I told him it was not loose but it wouldn't stay up. We left and hopefully the next person who stayed in our room had better luck.

Overall, the locations and grounds were very good, the room was small and needed renovation, and the staff was VERY unresponsive to any of our questions or requests.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mja1951
Reviewed February 16, 2008

We headed to Maui for a week of much needed relaxation, and the Westin Maui helped us to achieve our goals. Overall I would highly recommend the Westin.

The Grounds:

With five pools (one with a waterslide and one that promised to be kid free--although they didn't kick out kids), and a lobby full of coy ponds, flamingos and birds, the Westin boasts beautiful grounds. Though the exterior of the building seemed a bit dated, the rest of the Westin was gorgeous. We spent many relaxing days just swimming in the many pools, and playing on the waterslide. We met a lot of really nice people hanging out on the grounds, everyone was very friendly. There was often live entertainment signing in the outside grounds, and one night, they even had a fire dancer performing by the adult pool.

Even better, the Westin is centrally located, and is right next door to Whaler's Village (where you can do some serious shopping and browsing), and it also is walking distance to Black Rock (a great snorkeling location) (although not as close as the Sheraton). The location alone is worth the stay. Also, from the adult pool, you have a prime view of the sunset! We had a great time just relaxing on the grounds of the hotel, and on the beach right in front of the hotel. Though the beach proved fun during the day, at night, it was empty and we felt like we had the whole beach to ourselves.

The Rooms:

The big draw for us was the Heavenly Bed (we have one at home)...and shower (we own the shower head as well) and it was Heavenly! The room was very tastefully decorated. A lot of people complain that the rooms are small...and while they aren't large...they were spacious enough for us.

It was also nice to have a small fridge in the room, as we were able to take advantage of the ABC store (a store that carries an intersting variety of items including food--at relatively inexpensive prices) in Whaler's Village, so that we had lots of drinks and snacks on hand.

Another random perk: every room comes equiped with binoculars...which came in handy throughout our trip.

We read many reviews that the Westin often upgrades guest rooms, and we too were upgraded from a garden view to a mountain view for the first night of our stay. The mountain view was breathtaking. Although, I would caution, that mountain view on lower floors would have been a view of the parking lot. For the rest of our stay we moved to an ocean view room (see explanation below), and it was gorgeous; although, in hindsight, I would have kept the mountain view, as both were gorgeous--but there was a large price difference.

The Restaurants:

The Westin's restaurants are not that great. However, because of the location, you can easily walk to the restaurants in Whaler's Village, or take a quick car ride down to Lahaina for some great places (I highly recommend Pacifico's in Lahaina--the tasting menu is a must! and worth every penny!!!). The bar however was great! All the bartenders were very friendly...and I highly recommend the "lava flow."

The Spa:

We had a pleasant experience at the spa, and had relaxing treatments. The only complaint I had was that the quiet room/waiting room was a bit loud (and not that relaxing)--and surprisingly the staff played a part in the volume. However, they did have amazing dry fruit and tea and water selections, and the treatment itself was pure heaven.

Romantic Weekend With Twin Beds:

While we had a wonderful time, and I would highly recommend this hotel, the biggest downside for us was that when we arrived at the hotel, they were unable to accommodate our request for a king size bed. We had specifically requested a king size bed, but apparently the Westin does not "guarantee" that you will get the room you reserved. As the trip served as a delayed honeymoon for us, we were very disappointed to receive a room with twin beds.

They were able to move us to a different room the second day, but, we had to choose between moving to a room with a view of the parking lot, or an ocean view (adding $200 plus per night to our stay). It was also inconvenient to have to wait in our room so we could be there when they were ready to move us, and then take the time to move to a different room--when we just wanted to enjoy Maui and get our vacation started.

I also think they should have discounted the upgrade given the bed situation. However--they apparently have this problem a lot, as every time we walked by the lobby, we heard a couple arguing at the check in counter "what do you mean you don't have any king beds." It started to get comical by the end of our stay. It may have been the time of year (since we went in late September and kids are back in school--there were more couples than families).

Smokers Beware/Non-Smokers Rejoice:

If you do not like being around smokers, you will love the smoke free policy at the Westin--there is no smoking anywhere on the grounds of the Westin--not inside or outside. If, however, you are a smoker, beware that in addition to not being able to smoke anywhere outside, if you are caught smoking in your room (which includes your balcony), there is a hefty fine--though I am not sure whether this was just meant as a scare tactic or whether they actually enfoce this policy. Though you can't smoke by the pool, there is a smoking section right on the beach that isn't far away.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Stilettolawyer
Reviewed February 11, 2008

I could write a wonderful long winded review but I can only say one thing to make my feelings known about this hotel....

OUR STAY AT THIS HOTEL WAS WONDERFUL! I brought my mother here for her 51st wedding anniversary. I was born in Honolulu in 1966 and this was a special visit for my mom and I. Unfortunately our visit to the Sheraton Waikiki was the worst but the Westin made this visit very special.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL! And if it means anything, I am a regional director for another hotel chain.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank Hawaiiantraveler66
Reviewed February 6, 2008

Beautiful lobby and pool area. We stayed here for our honeymoon. Because I was a Starwood Gold member, my wife and I were invited to the weekly general manager's cocktail party. We were really made to feel special with some unexpected bath and spa gifts delivered to our room. The breakfast buffet was very good, but I don't know if it was worth the $25 if you're just going to eat eggs and a waffle. Fortunately, I had Starwood breakfast vouchers. If you do go for the breakfast buffet, be sure to fill up on the smoked fish and tropical fruits. The location is close to other nice properties and a large shopping center is within walking distance. If you fly into the West Maui airport, the taxi fare is at least not too bad. Even if you have a mountain view room, the view is beautiful. Our room was generally clean and had a refrigerator which is nice if you want to stock up at the local Costco and enjoy a light meal out on your balcony. There is an adult pool, and the hot tub is open until later at night. The only downside is that we were frequently asked to go on a timeshare presentation for $100 in spa credits in which I had no sincere interest. If you get a rate of less than $250, I would highly recommend this hotel. If the rate is higher than that, I might stay at one of the neighboring properties, but still stop by the Westin Maui for a visit.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lege
Reviewed February 5, 2008

I have to start by saying the staff was exceptionally nice. Especially the bell men and house keeping. Very warm and friendly, they went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. The room was small, needed some updating. The bathroom and tub left something to be desired although the duel shower head was great. The second day there, we became VERY ill with a stomach bug that had apparently been going around the hotel for quite sometime. We spoke to at least thirty people in the hotel who had the exact symptoms as us although no one on staff seemed to have heard a thing about it. (we flew in with 15 friends and no one on our plane became ill) judging by how often we were vometing, i would say our carpet would have needed a steam cleaning as would the rooms of the other sick people we spoke with. i thought i de post this in case others became ill also

7  Thank melena1
Reviewed February 5, 2008

We stayed in this hotel at the end of our trip for our 1st year anniversary. The hotel itself is beautiful and the staff are really friendly. The design of the hotel is nice with a lovely waterfall near reception with flamingos.

The location is amazingly beautiful with an excellent beach. There is a small shopping centre called the whalers village just along the beach a couple of minutes walk. Here they have a couple of nice restaurants and shops.

There are alot of kids around as they stay for free, so if you dont like kids then its not your type of place. Also the restaurants onsite are nothing special including the breakfast but we just popped down to the local shop and bought some cereal/milk.

There is a place onsite to book tours and I would definitely recommend the maui island tour which last about 4 hours. You actually get to walk inside an old volcano which was cool.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aubhi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!