“The awesome location and pool make it special!”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed December 5, 2007

We loved this hotel. The rooms were a little smaller than we are used to but we had been previously warned by friends so it wasn't a surprise. Bathroom was very small! But we knew we were not going to spend that much time in the room so we didn't let it bother us. We got a room overlooking the mountains which was pretty, although we were right above the valet so it was a bit busy! The hotel is worth going to just for it's fantastic location on the beach and the pool scene. The pool slide is great fun, there are lots of different pools including an adults only pool which was great for us (although I did have to ask staff twice to remove small noisy kids from the adult only jacuzzi) - they could do a better job with monitoring this. The room had a frig, coffee maker, heavenly beds, great shower etc. I took a free water aerobic class in the pool which was nice. Drinks and lunch by the pool were very nice. Good value by Hawaii standards. The exercise room is fabulous and has a great view overlooking the pool and the beach. We loved it and would definitely return!

4  Thank mwooduk

Reviewed December 4, 2007

This was my favorite hotel in Kaanapali. It had everything you could ask for and more. They greet you with either a flower lei (for girls) or a leaf rope thing (for guys) and the lobby is just amazing. It has a great waterfall with kind of a nature walk thing that takes you behind the waterfall and around the pools and ponds and all of the beautiful flora and fauna here at this hotel. They have multiple pools with waterfalls and waterslides, and great restaurants. It is also right next door to Whaler's Village and has it's own private enterence into the shopping center (very handy). The rooms are fairly normal with the standard heavenly bed and heavenly bath. I felt they were a tad small but maybe I'm just spoiled. Flat screen TV's were very nice to have espicially since I was there during football season. The service is impecable, and the location is supurb. I'd say this hotel is the best value for your money in Maui.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank schererd
Reviewed December 1, 2007

I stayed at this hotel 11/17/07 - 11/29/07. We went to Maui for the Maui Invitational Basketball Tournament. When you book this package your choices are the Hyatt, the Westin or the Sheraton..all on Ka'anapali Beach. The Westin was the only hotel with availability. This was my first trip to Maui. I must admit I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews on this website. However, Once we arrived, I couldn't have been more pleased. The hotel was beautiful. The lobby is open to the outside and has a lagoon type body of water complete with a waterfall, swans and flamingos. We stayed in the Ocean Tower, room 538 wich had a view of the mountains. The room had been updated and was very nice. We had 2 minor problems...a burnt out lightbulb and the toilet started leaking water on our last day...both of which were fixed AS SOON as I notified the front desk. The food at the resort is expensive, as is all the food on the island. The Westin has a prime location right next door to Whalers Village (which I must have gone to 20 times during my stay) and 5 minutes from Front Street in downtown Lahaina. The spa was very relaxing (massages were expensive). All the hotel staff I encountered could not have been more friendly.....from the front desk, to the bell hops, to the valet, to the wait staff, to the spa employees. I was ready to move in to this hotel by the end of my stay! I have been home for 2 days and I am already dreaming of my next trip there!

5  Thank InLoveWithMaui
Reviewed November 30, 2007

I took my mother on vacation using points. I'm a Gold Starwood member and we got a lovely room on a high floor with an ocean view. Very nice to wake up to the sounds of the crashing waves and waterfalls and high enough not to be bothered by the sounds of the seemingly endless kids at the pools.

Rooms were pretty standard, not particulary new, but quite clean (although my mother was convinced that the tub wasn't being cleaned properly). Nice new flat screen tvs, daily beach towel service (because I am Gold), comfy beds, the "heavenly " double-headed shower, and a mini fridge in the room which we stuffed with a few quick breakfast items in order to avoid the $30 breakfast buffet.

The resort offers several pool options, nicely landscaped grounds, proximity to a small shopping center with a couple of good beachside restaurants and a Borders express bookstore. I concur with others that it is particulary family friendly, so I was happy to have the adult pool option which really did seem to drown out the kiddie noise. As someone mentioned, there's something about water that compels kids to jump and scream, but they all seemed to be having a great time. The beach front is beautiful and although public, never seemed overrun. There's a lovely boardwalk along the beach where people jog in the mornings and walk from one resort to the next. We did have to pay an additional fee to rent a beach chair and umbrella and there were far too few. My mom had to run down early in the morning and do the towel and magazine leave-behind routine in order to secure chairs.

I will agree that service was a little lackluster in terms of timeliness from "Service Express" and the elevators are ridiculously slow, but chalk that up to near maximum occupancy during a busy time. Not much different than any conference hotel I've ever stayed at. The walls were definitely a bit thin too - we could hear the TV ( although I think the volume was maxed out) and conference calls in the room next door.

In any case, overall we generally enjoyed our stay at the hotel except for the 3 hrs we spent listening to the Vacation Villas timeshare sales pitch. And be advised that if you choose not to buy, right away, they'll offer you a $2500 vacation "deal" with mucho points, more time to decide on the villas and a 7 day future stay at the hotel in a terrace mountain view room (read ground floor room with a view of the parking lot). And although they make it sound like it's no big deal if you choose to buy/not to buy, we definitely got the full court "end of the month" sales pressure. We also learned from the locals that the villas are across the street and downwind from the sewage plant. Eeww!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank tdotdiva
Reviewed November 28, 2007

This hotel did not live up to the Westin name. It is aging and noisy. Don't let them give you a "mountain view" room, they are really just parking lot view rooms. We asked to move and were told we would have to pay a stiff fee per night. The air conditioning did not work and took two phone calls to get it to blow cold air into the bathroom. The rest of the room never did get comfortably cool and we couldn't open the balcony door as the horns, sirens, and traffic from outside would keep us awake. The bathrooms are old with inadequate ventilation. We consistently had to ask for more towels, the quality of which was very inconsistent. The walls are thin and walking down the hall you can easily hear all the conversations in the rooms. The elevators are old and slow and there are not enough to serve all the rooms adequately. They now include the $20/day charge for guests to use the work out room, internet and pool, but spa classes are extra and the business center charges an high fee per minute for computer time if you choose not to bring your own on a beach vacation. The hotel goes out of its way to be family friendly, which is great if you have kids, and somewhat annoying if you are there are a romatic getaway.
The lobby is open with real pink flamingos, fish and other birds. It's fun, but a little loud and busy. They have different local artisans set up each day.
On the plus side, the beds are very comfortable, although we had to ask for more than the four small pillows on our king sized bed. The adult pool is a very nice touch - quiet with a bar and a hot tub. It has happy hour prices from 8-10 that are affordable. The location is great and the beach is steps away. The spa is very well done.

• Stayed: November 2007
6  Thank samspadejr
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I can't explain how beautiful this place was. The lobby was gorgeous and the views from the beach were incredible. We stayed in the Beach Tower and could be in the bed with a view of the beach and the neighboring islands. Incredible!!!
This place would get an excellent from me if not for the construction going on two floors below us!!! We are home-bodies and enjoy staying in the room. Unfortunately the construction was almost unbearable at times...other times it was ok!!! Two floors up and we could still hear the noises. The staff did offer another room in the other tower but was a third the size and for only $30 less per night...we ened up getting starpoints credited to our account. Anyway, besides the construction this place is really great!!!
We weren't talked into the tour of the villas, but decided to take it anyway and were in and out in an hour with a $100 gift certificate to the facility and a 50% discount to any other resort outside Hawaii!!!
Room service was great!!! The couples massage was expensive but so very nice and soothing!!! Nice to be able to share it with my wife!!! They also had sparkling wine and a nice note awaiting our arrival to kickoff our honeymoon!!!
Again, this place was so terrific. Plan a time outside the construction and it can't be beat!!! Shopping and restaurants next door at Whaler's Village make this that much better a place to stay!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jimvad
Reviewed November 21, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Maui for four nights in November. Our stay was completely paid for with Starwood Points. The trip to Hawaii wouldn't have been possible for us without points, so unlike most who could actually afford to stay at the hotel, we were seriously on a budget.
It is a beautiful resort! The room was small but nice and we had a great ocean view.
On this trip we also stayed at the Sheraton Maui. We found the Westin to be the superior resort. The Westin has slightly more affordable food and beverage options, free bottled water replenished in your room every day, free self-parking and $10/day valet parking. The Westin also has a better pool area and a daily schedule of free activities for both children and adults. There are plenty of beach chairs and several different pools. There are slides and pool games for the kids and a quiet adult pool with a bar. We had a couples massage at the spa and thought that the spa was quite nice. Not as large as some that I have been too... but still worth the money.
We loved the Westin and we ceretainly hope that we'll be able to go back some day!

5  Thank IndianaTraveler25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!