“Westin Maui - Just Okay.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
New York
“Westin Maui - Just Okay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for the second half of our honeymoon. We came from the Four Seasons which we loved (see our review sam0825), so take our comments in light of that. There is no comparison between the 2 hotels in terms of luxury and service - the Four Seasons far surpasses. But the Westin would certainly appeal to tourists and those with families (mainly because of the pool area with water slides and lots of kids). Upon arrival we were "upgraded" from the ocean view room we booked to a deluxe ocean view room - BEWARE! The deluxe ocean view rooms in the beach tower - at least ours - face partially ocean and partially parking lots and other buildings. Our "deluxe" room on the Starwood preferred guest floor was very small, dark dank and dirty, with low stucco ceilings, an outdated bathroom and a TV from the 1990s. Having come from an immaculate spacious room at the Four Seaons, we asked to be "downgraded" back to our original ocean view room. We were the next day, to a room in the ocean tower. It was 100 times better! the room was still small but clean and modern with a beautiful view of the ocean and pools, and a large flat screen TV. [By the way, the fact that we had to wait until the next day to get our original room which was unavailble when we checked in made us realize that we were likely not upgraded, rather they gave our room away].
The hotel lobby and pools definitely have a wow factor, although a bit cartoonish. But if you are a tourist who wants to feel like they're in Hawaii, this would fit the bill. The best part was the beautiful beach, although you have to pay $25 to reserve an umbrella and 2 [incredibly uncomfortable] beach chairs. And if you don't do it by 7:30 AM you probably won't get one. And they make you vacate the chairs and umbrella at 4:30 which is completely ridiculous and well before sunset which is beautiful and worth watching from the beach. We found the pool area to be very crowded and dirty. The one day that we decided to sit there rather than the beach, we had to move since there was so much garbage on the ground, the birds were attacking it. The water in the pools was also pretty dirty. There is very limited seating in the shade, and there is minimal staff checking to see if you'd like a drink.
We loved the restaurant Tropica and ate there at least twice. Have your breakfast over there too - same menu and buffet as the one by the pool but less crowded with a view of the ocean.
I would NOT stay here if you are looking for a luxurious, romantic honeymoon. I would definitely consider staying here with kids.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — cleanliness, service
2 Thank Sam0825

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,300)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2007

Stayed at the Westin for first half of our honeymoon. Hotel was 100% sold out when we arrived. Our reservation for a lower priced room was upgraded as our original price level was full. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room and hotel in general were in great shape and very clean. Lot's of free activities every day. Complimentary internet access is very nice. Didn't like the "heavenly" showers however. Also, sometimes when calling front desk ("service express") there would be no answer. One other negative point is that the doors separating adjoining rooms are too thin, and you can hear everything from the room next to you when people are right near said doors.

Pools are spacious and fun...plenty of families in the lower pools but the adult pool was almost always empty.

Beach access was directly behind the hotel and super convenient. Be prepared to pay $$ for beach umbrella/chair rentals though.

On resort restaurants were pretty good and moderately pricey for Maui.

Nice thing about the Westin is that many of the water based activities (sailing,para-sailing, etc) launch from the beach right there. Also, whalers village is directly next door.

If you want to be near all the action and pay reasonable rates with good service, the Westin is a great choice. If you are looking for a very quiet spot, this is not it.

4 Thank misctraveller
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

Disclaimer: I am a Starwood Platinum card holder - however, I think that the amenities received were nominal. From a service perspective, this played very little.

The Westin Spa is first class all the way. Great greeting; we had a room with a balcony overlooking the pools. Breakfast in the morning at a small cafe was expensive ($20 for two coffees, a croissant and some fruit) but not unexpectedly so. The restaurant on site is top shelf and dinner by the beach was great.

Location is superior. 15 minute walk to Black Rock - some of the best snorkling in the area - and a nice shopping area next door - ABC Store (Hawaiian pervasive convenience market), loads of upscale shopping and bargain shopping, Maui Dive Shop for snorkle rentals, etc. Luau was at the Hyatt down the other end of the beach.

We used the Spa - the mens locker room was free every day (that I think was the major Platinum perk), and I used it. Locker room included showers, sauna, steam, hot tub, and complete shaving kit - nice way to freshen up after beach, pool, golf, etc without having to return to room. The spa services were also top shelf - wife and I both did massages (wife got a few other treatments), staff is skilled and have some very loyal clients. Very relaxing.

There's an adult pool which is nice to be away from the kids.

The beach is among the nicest stretches for simply sitting and sunning. Lahaina town is a 5 minute drive, Haleakela is about 2 hours. Golfed at the North Course (Championship) and was very well cared for - all charges to room.

Concierge services among the best I have ever experienced.

Would highly recommend this for the true Resort atmosphere.

• Liked — Spa and Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark E
la
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

Got a great deal through priceline, stayed there in late September, 2007. The property is awesome, great location, first class amenities with free daily lei's, drinks, great sitting areas. Their pool is five star. The rooms are very, very nice contrary to what other reviews mention. We stayed in the ocean tower which has all been remodeled. We had a garden room on the second floor which was a bit noisy from all the people going back and forth but it wasn't that bad. Also, no hot water between 12 and 5 AM for our room but we had prior notice to plan ahead. The location of the hotel is right in the heart of Kaanapali which in my opinion is the best place to stay in Maui, especially if it's your first time. Lahaina is pretty close by and there is actually a lot to do at night in Kaanapali. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed September 2007
Hau'ula, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2007

Just returned today and my husband and I had a wonderful time. We booked our stay on their website and booked the room at the kamaaina special of $159 per night ......what a deal. From the moment we arrived, we were welcomed and treated well. We were welcomed with flower leis and a nice beverage in the reception area. We checked in and got a nice room and found the housekeepers and staff friendly, helpful and of good cheer. The pool and beach are fabulous!! There is no way not to have fun there.
It would have been a "perfect stay" except for our visit to "Onos". To Onos, I say "oh, no". That was a disaster, we were treated poorly and rudely and the food and service a fiasco. We were greeted by a hostess (not a very nice or friendly one) then passed off to a server that kept us waiting forever while he watched the football game at the bar there. We ordered our food finally. Then another order to another table came out and another table was served. Our food was on a stand while the other table was being served. A bird flew on our food, pecked and ate at it, then fully disrespected it and deficated on it. They tried to serve it to us!! I told our server "see the bird do-do on my food? I can't eat that". He said "I know". No apology was made, nor an offer to replace the order. The server sneered at me and then huffed away. We left deeming the food unreliable for sanitary reasons. The people at the hostess desk shrugged their shoulders and couldn't care less. Then to add insult to injury, one little worker said "it's outdoors, what do you expect"? Hmmm....perhaps serving one table at a time would be a start. That outlet and it's nasty workers are gross. "Rusty Harpoons" and "Leilanis" much better, good service, no attitude, and no bird dropping in food.
The room service was great! The food was delicious (expensive, but wonderful) and the service quick and courteous. Was impressed by a call back to make sure all was good with our room service...it could not have been better.
The "Heavenly Bed" was indeed heavenly and comfy. Slept so well and feel so rejuvinated and rested. "Heavenly Shower" a stretch as it is simply two shower heads and nothing too impressive.It was a almost perfect (except for "Onos") stay and I can't wait to go back. I'm missing it already and it was a wonderful time.

• Liked — The bed, room service, pool area, and beach
  • Disliked — Onos horrible service and lack of sanitation or concern
3 Thank kaluanuibeach
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

For our first trip to Maui, stayed at the Westin Maui Resort for 2 nights (not enough) through Priceline. Beautiful hotel, great service at front desk. We got upgraded to an ocean view room, and it was a beautiful view of the ocean on one side and the golf course on the other. Room is pretty typical size, although small if you are considering the rack room price. Beds were nice, although I've stayed in a Westin with a more comfortable bed. Nice pool and beach area. Only ate at Ono, which was ok. Food prices were very high, as to be expected. Location is great, beach right in front of the hotel, Kapalua area 10 minutes to the north, Lahaina shopping and restaraunts 10 minutes to the south. My only major complaint is the parking situation. They don't have nearly enough spaces. Parking spots are very, very tight, and at night the valet drivers park vehicles behind parked cars in the lot. I had to leave hotel at about 10:30 one night, and had to have a valet come and move the car behind mine, then valet it when I returned. Also, the place tends to shut down by 10. We went to eat one night at about 9:40, and all the restaraunts main menus had ended, including at the Whalers Village, which was surprising to us. Overall, though, I would recommend staying here.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking
5 Thank tog10
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2007

This is a beautiful hotel. I know that everyone has different experiences based on when they go and what happens but I had a good experience. When I first checked in they gave me a free upgrade to a mountain view room and a voucher for the buffet simply because they didn't have a king bed room but only a room with two doubles. I could have cared less but it was nice of the lady checking me in to offer me the stuff. It was good customer service and I appreciated it. The grounds are very nice. In the lobby there is an artificial pond with 4 pink flamingoes, 2 swans, lots of koi fish and some large tropical birds. I heard one of them say "hi" a few times. The pool/pond complex is amazing, there are various pools, tunnels, and waterfalls. There is even a whirlpool in one of the tunnels. There is also a waterslide but I didn't use it. I've heard that the pool area can be very crowded but it wasn't at the time I went (after labor day) I had no problem getting a spot at any time of day but I can see how it would really suck if the pool was so crowded that you can't even get a spot. All of the phones in the hotel have a one touch "service express" button that you can press. I used it to order room service and it rang just once and the pleasant lady answered and addressed me by name. She transferred me to room service and a while later after I had eaten she called me back to ask me how the room service was. I was pretty impressed by that. I have to say that I experienced pleasant and courteous service by every staff that I encountered. The room is a bit smallish but nice and clean. Most of the rooms have balconies. There is a large screen t.v. with cable, a safe large enough for a large laptop and a small refrigerator and in room coffee maker with coffee, cups, creamers, etc. It is very expensive to eat on the grounds. For example, it was 17 dollars and something cents for a large coffee, a muffin and a half-papaya. But not to fret, there is a free shuttle to Lahaina. You need only to show your room key to board but I always tipped the driver a dollar. The prices are lower there and Hawaii sales tax is only 4.166%. There is also whaler's village shopping center which is literally right next door. Their food court is a joke but will do the job in a pinch. Oh, another thing, if you charge something to your room they AUTOMATICALLY add gratuity! I think I tipped twice before I figured that out and I always tip 20%. I felt so used! Read the fine print on the room charge thingy. There was a free hula show at whaler's village. They were like hula students and they really brought it! The workout room was ok, the equipment was quite old but everything worked like it was supposed to and all the cardio equipment has a t.v. in front. One other thing, this hotel is not good for singles. There were hardly any singles here, just couples and families.

• Liked — beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — price gouging
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank pigeonbob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,818 reviews
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!