“Excellent value and convenience”

Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 12, 2005

I really enjoyed my stay, highly recommend this property and wouldn't hesitate to book again. Knowing what I know now, I would probably specify that I want a unit in a certain line or with specific features.
I stayed in Unit 362 (studio) in Tower 2 for 4 nights and then 1169 (1 bd 2 bath) in Tower 2 for one night. I agree with the reviewers below who stayed in Unit 162- I enjoyed the north side of Tower 2 and its shaded lanai. I was able to keep the sliding doors open all day and night (with screens) and no A/C was needed. The 62 line in Tower 2 are the studios with the best ocean views. My studio had a king size Murphy bed which was a breeze to operate- great mattress- and gave the room a sense of real spaciousness. While I was there, friends stayed in another studio on the south side of Tower 1 (unit 1214)- no Murphy bed and a strange dining set up- and that unit felt much smaller although it has an identical floorplan. The studio had a TV but no other electronics.
The 1bd2bath unit felt enormous but I needed the A/C on all the time because it was on the south/sunny side of the tower. There also seemed to be noise and night light from Whalers Village below. The 1bdrm was furnished with a little more elegance than the studio (not important to me) and a ritzier, larger kitchen. It also had 2 TVs, DVD player, VCR and boombox. It would have been plenty spacious enough for two couples.
Some comments on the general operation- the courtyard door to Tower 2 was broken and wedged open for most of my stay- there didn't seem to be any rush by the staff to get it fixed. Since the beachside walkway opens into the property, in theory anyone could walk into the building and gain entry to the hallways and parking garage through that door. However, I did not perceive any real security problems while there.
The staff was very friendly and mostly eager to please- although they don't seem to be staffed quite as heavily as a full time hotel might be - not an issue for me but might be for some.
Since each unit is uniquely furnished, you may want to specify that you want a studio with a Murphy bed. My more elegant 1bd2bath unit didn't have screens on the doors- so leaving them open would have been a problem.
The north side of Tower 1 (even numbered units) faces the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel property. The south side of Tower 2 (odd numbers) faces Whalers Village. For anyone who is concerned about sound, insist on a unit facing the inner courtyard (odd numbers in Tower 1 or even numbers in Tower 2) or directly on the ocean. Whalers Village also throws up light at night.
I saw comments below about the parking - I used the underground garage the entire time without incident. Yes, there were warnings about falling debris, but I didn't see any evidence of it.
For anyone who is not familiar with the Ka'anapali area, this property is really well situated for access to dining and shopping and other hotels. You could leave the car in the garage for most of the time and enjoy walking up and down the beachwalk for many of your needs and entertainment.
I paid the internet special rate through Resortquest and feel that I got very good value compared to what some of the hotels were charging.

• Stayed: October 2005
19  Thank NorthernSpy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed October 10, 2005

We stayed at the Whaler from Sept. 28- Oct 6 and loved it. It's in a great location on the beach. We stayed in unit 661 which was very nice with views of the beach and mountains. Loved seeing rainbows almost every day. We don't have any complaints, everything went well during our stay. The grounds, pool, building, everything was well kept. The pool may not be as big as other places but who it's no big deal when you've got a beautiful beach. It was good having Whalers Village next door for shopping and browsing. We really liked Maui. Don't worry about the weather, it was the same everyday, mostly sun with a few sprinkles of rain once in a while, even with the sun shining on you, and very warm ( hot). It's beautiful and more laid back than Waikiki. Would go back tomorrow if the flight wasn't so long ( 14 hours ). Great place !

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank Novalobster
Reviewed October 9, 2005

We rented a gardenview studio unit from Sept. 24-Oct. 8th and we loved it. We were in Unit 162 in Tower 2 facing the inner courtyard. If you are facing the courtyard tower 2 is the tower to be in as the lanai has shade all day. We noticed that people in tower 1 didn't come out onto their lanai until sunset as it was in the blazing sun all day.

Our unit was spacious, nicely furnished and had all the amenities I could ever want. The living area had a murphy bed so it made the living space nice and big during the day. We had a huge walk-in closet, a large bathroom and dressing area and the toilet and bathtub/shower were separate.

The grounds are immaculate with a large fish pond with a bridge in the center. There was always a couple of fellows working on the grounds, whether it be mowing the lawn, trimming bushes, planting flowers, etc. They even came by every second day with a leaf blower and blew leaves off the grass and lanais.

The pool area isn't fancy but there is lots of room and when we were there never crowded at all. There is also a hot tub.

The lobby is like that of a hotel with a concierge and bell desk. A new business center is just off the lobby with 5 computers, printer, copier, etc. It cost 30 cents per minute for a computer.

This was our 4th trip to Maui and our first time at The Whaler. If we return to Maui we will definitely stay at The Whaler again. It's the best!

16  Thank marianh635
Reviewed October 3, 2005

I stayed at the Whaler for the second half of my trip to Maui. It was perfect. I would definitely go back. It is located on a prime spot on Ka'anapali beach..the beach is fabulous. The pool was very nice as well. Granted it does not have all the "bells and whistles" that pools at the resorts have, but it was never overly crowded and chairs were always available. I had no desire to sit by the pool..as the beach was so great.

My studio was in great shape and nicely furnished..and the view was fantastic. I suppose there was a little bit of updating that could be done, but generally speaking, renters are VERY hard on vacation condos..so you would not put super expensive stuff in the condo anyway.. But all was great, it was kind of like being at home for the week.

The parking garage was perfectly fine as well. I had heard alot of bad things about this as well but never had any problems. The grounds are monitored frequently by security and are kept up very well. The lobby really is like a hotel, with check in desk, activity desk, internet room, etc. There was also a beach towel check out by the pool which was perfect.

The only bummer was that there was no blow dryer for my hair!! BUT, the good thing is that on Maui ...who wants to blow your hair dry anyway when you will just end up in the ocean!!

I will go back!

• Stayed: September 2005
7  Thank marathongirl
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Just returned from another great stay at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach. Everything was perfect as usual. I was even able to book my favorite 1bed/2bath unit #1112. Awesome views from the 11th. floor of ocean, black rock and West Maui mountains. Room was highly upgraded all the way down to a 32 inch LCD television in the bedroom, granite countertops, etc. Staff was great and very friendly and accomodating as always. Had awesome snorkeling at Black Rock. Location of The Whaler is the best!

• Stayed: September 2005
6  Thank FoodCritic4Life
A TripAdvisor Member
North Dakota
Reviewed September 15, 2005

I loved the view. We own a condo but I loved the one we stayed. The family had so much fun. Can't wait to go back. I also loved the pool and the mall. The housekeepers did such a good job. It's really great.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Eastpointe, MI
Reviewed September 7, 2005

We stayed at the Whaler during our honeymoon and absolutely loved it! Our room was so beautiful and the view from our balcony was breathtaking! We took long walks on the beach and the beachside walk every evening to watch the sunset. Dinner at Barefoot Beach next door was excellent, you must try the Lava Flow drinks. We can't wait to return to Maui, and when we do we will definitely stay at the Whaler!

• Stayed: May 2005