I really enjoyed my stay, highly recommend this property and wouldn't hesitate to book again. Knowing what I know now, I would probably specify that I want a unit in a certain line or with specific features.
I stayed in Unit 362 (studio) in Tower 2 for 4 nights and then 1169 (1 bd 2 bath) in Tower 2 for one night. I agree with the reviewers below who stayed in Unit 162- I enjoyed the north side of Tower 2 and its shaded lanai. I was able to keep the sliding doors open all day and night (with screens) and no A/C was needed. The 62 line in Tower 2 are the studios with the best ocean views. My studio had a king size Murphy bed which was a breeze to operate- great mattress- and gave the room a sense of real spaciousness. While I was there, friends stayed in another studio on the south side of Tower 1 (unit 1214)- no Murphy bed and a strange dining set up- and that unit felt much smaller although it has an identical floorplan. The studio had a TV but no other electronics.
The 1bd2bath unit felt enormous but I needed the A/C on all the time because it was on the south/sunny side of the tower. There also seemed to be noise and night light from Whalers Village below. The 1bdrm was furnished with a little more elegance than the studio (not important to me) and a ritzier, larger kitchen. It also had 2 TVs, DVD player, VCR and boombox. It would have been plenty spacious enough for two couples.
Some comments on the general operation- the courtyard door to Tower 2 was broken and wedged open for most of my stay- there didn't seem to be any rush by the staff to get it fixed. Since the beachside walkway opens into the property, in theory anyone could walk into the building and gain entry to the hallways and parking garage through that door. However, I did not perceive any real security problems while there.
The staff was very friendly and mostly eager to please- although they don't seem to be staffed quite as heavily as a full time hotel might be - not an issue for me but might be for some.
Since each unit is uniquely furnished, you may want to specify that you want a studio with a Murphy bed. My more elegant 1bd2bath unit didn't have screens on the doors- so leaving them open would have been a problem.
The north side of Tower 1 (even numbered units) faces the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel property. The south side of Tower 2 (odd numbers) faces Whalers Village. For anyone who is concerned about sound, insist on a unit facing the inner courtyard (odd numbers in Tower 1 or even numbers in Tower 2) or directly on the ocean. Whalers Village also throws up light at night.
I saw comments below about the parking - I used the underground garage the entire time without incident. Yes, there were warnings about falling debris, but I didn't see any evidence of it.
For anyone who is not familiar with the Ka'anapali area, this property is really well situated for access to dining and shopping and other hotels. You could leave the car in the garage for most of the time and enjoy walking up and down the beachwalk for many of your needs and entertainment.
I paid the internet special rate through Resortquest and feel that I got very good value compared to what some of the hotels were charging.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This exclusive luxury condominium boasts an idyllic location on Maui's famous Kaanapali Beach across from two championship golf courses and minutes from Lahaina. Each spacious unit features a full kitchen and a spectacular view. A beachfront pathway and private access allows guests easy entry to adjacent Whalers Village's 65 shops and restaurants. Please be advised of these changes to the daily resort fee at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach. These changes will go into effect April 1, 2017. - Any new reservations booked for travel April 1, 2017 – May 31, 2017, will be subject to a resort fee of $17.00 plus tax per day. - On June 1, 2017, Daily Amenity Fee increases to $20. This applies to ALL reservations staying through these dates, regardless of when they booked the reservation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Aqua-Aston Hospitality, LLC, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Hotel Lahaina
- Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Lahaina
- Whaler Kaanapali Beach
- Kaanapali Beach
- The Whaler Maui
- Aston At The Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Maui/Lahaina