Our family of four stayed at The Whaler for spring break in 2014. We had a one bedroom, two bath unit. There was a king size bed in the bedroom, and a pullout couch in the living area of the condo. There was a full kitchen in the condo, which was great for making occasional meals to help save money vs. going out to eat. We bought some groceries at the Safeway in Lahaina and having a full size refrigerator came in handy (note; bring our Safeway savers card on your trip to save some significant money there). The condo (474) was located on the 4th floor in Tower II (the south tower closer to Whalers Village) and looked out over the courtyard area between the two towers. Our unit was furthest away from the ocean, but the view from our lanai was still great, providing views of the ocean and the mountains.
On the plus side:
1. The buildings, while a little older, were recently renovated on the outside, and everything was in very good shape. Our unit itself was in good shape, the kitchen and bathrooms were recently renovated.
2. Having two bathrooms, which were identical, was great for a family of four. No fighting over one bathroom.
3. Very nice kitchen facility.
4. The king size bed in the bedroom was comfortable.
5. The air conditioning system worked well for sleeping at night.
6. There was not much noise coming from any of the other units, generally very quiet.
7. The pool, hot tub, and other outside areas were very nice.
8. The lanai was very large, and since we had an end unit, wrapped around the outside of the building. Very nice to sit out there and eat breakfast or just read a book.
9. Two televisions in the unit, although we didn't watch them much (hey, you're in Hawaii).
10. Two tennis courts, with complementary rackets and balls available at the front desk. Courts were in nice shape and had a fence between them to cut down on chasing balls all over.
11. Daily maid service. As a condo, you normally don't get this service, but since this rental was handled by Aston, this was provided and it was always nice to come back to a clean condo.
12. Service: Everyone we ran into from the Aston was nice and helpful. We had an issue with one of the TVs working, and someone came up in five minutes and fixed the problem quickly and with a great attitude.
On the downside:
1. The kids weren't thrilled to have to sleep on the sleeper sofa. One ended up sleeping on the couch (without the bed pulled out) and the other slept on the floor on some foam pads we ended up buying. They didn't complain too much (hey, you're in Hawaii).
2. The parking lot under the buildings filled up quickly at night. During the day you can find parking, but at night it would get full. There were a couple of other outdoor parking lots about a 3-5 minute walk away from the building, not a big deal.
The plusses definitely outweighed the minuses and we had so much more room to spread out and relax vs. a hotel. We booked the Whaler as part of an American Airlines package, and as such this seemed to save a significant amount of money vs. booking direct with Aston.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This exclusive luxury condominium boasts an idyllic location on Maui's famous Kaanapali Beach across from two championship golf courses and minutes from Lahaina. Each spacious unit features a full kitchen and a spectacular view. A beachfront pathway and private access allows guests easy entry to adjacent Whalers Village's 65 shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Hotel Lahaina
- Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Lahaina
- Whaler Kaanapali Beach
- Kaanapali Beach
- The Whaler Maui
- Aston At The Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Maui/Lahaina