“Grounds are gorgeous”

Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Super nice staff, nice room, great location because of black rock and whaler village near by. Only complaint or suggestion is that if you have more than two people, do not get a studio! Its too small for more than two people. Check on construction as well, we had a room next door that was doing the refurbish thing. I understand that it has to happen, but maybe unquire. I am an early riser, did not bother me but the wife not so much.

Room Tip: Make sure no construction going on next door
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Aloha,

I really appreciate your feedback and review. I believe others will value your thoughts too. Two highlights to note: while the studios are over 600 sq ft, trying to fit 3 or 4 adults may seem a little tight on space. Studios seem to work best for parents with young children and /or couples. The best alternative for 3 to 4 adults is the 1 bedroom 2 bath units. The second bath makes a wonderful difference and is worth the nominal cost per night. The other highlight is the construction aspect. We do our best to limit any noise by restricting this to certain hours and days. Should you or another guest ever encounter this in the future, we will do everything possible to limit the work, move you to another unit or make it right. I want to assure all guests who reserve a unit through the in-house rental program are guaranteed to be cared for if something is not right. We hope you decide to return to The Whaler again.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you are looking for a hotel resort, daily maid service, restaurants or a bar, don't stay here. However, If you are looking for a room that is larger than your typical hotel room, with a full kitchen, this is the place to stay. Rates are more reasonable here than they are at the hotels along this stretch of beach. The beach in front of the hotel is great, unlike the beach in front of some other parts of Kaanapali that is washed away. We love it here, having stayed at The Whaler at least 6 times. Get a room that has a water view, not all do. The downside to the Whaler is that the units are owned by individuals renting their place out, so you will not have qualty control between units. Not everything will be perfect like it may be at The Ritz; but you will get a place where you can have a reasonably priced very enjoyable vacation on a great stretch of beach. We already are planning next years vacation here.....

Room Tip: There are two Towers, Tower 1 and Tower two. They are side by side each other, however not close to...
1  Thank trishDerwood

Aloha kaua,

Thank you for this amazing review on Tripadvisor. Equally, I value your opinion as a Top Contributor because it shows your involvement and true thoughts about the property. The Whaler is a favorite location for so many owners, guests, and employees too. Your comment about quality control touched an important aspect for my management team. In-fact, our in house rental program just published a revision to unit standards with very specific details. All of the owners who participate in the rental program have agreed to these standards and we are working diligently on making every unit as best as it can be. We look forward to seeing you next year to be able to say, E komo mai, (come in, welcome).

Mahalo nui,

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I was surprised and disappointed by my stay at The Whaler. While the condos do have beach access, each unit is a privately owned timeshare and ours was full of the owner's things with his name clearly marked in sharpee on everything. It left me with the bizarre impression of living in someone else's space, rather than the romantic getaway I was hoping for. Sure, you are right on the beach but there are plenty of other hotels along this strip of the beach which for the cost provide better amenities and a more relaxing, luxurious vibe. While I can see the DVD rental, wifi, and kitchen being great for a family or older couple, the place had a retirement home vibe that really ruined it for me and made me regret choosing it (the only aspect of my vacation that I regret, actually). The bed was a pull down murphy bed, which was not explained anywhere on the website or in the photos and which I felt was deceptive. Parking was $12 per day. The TV was positioned to the side of the bed, making it awkward to watch. There were sounds of construction intermittently which the hotel staff explained "might happen" if the other owners decided to on the fly make renovations to their units.The internet which I was using for work went down, and the hotel staff had a very "hands off" approach to dealing (or not dealing) with the problem, suggesting I go to an internet cafe or-ironically-the lobby of a nearby hotel. The swimming pool was small and the jacuzzi was without heat for the duration of my stay. There is shopping nearby but no room service or on site dining. There are so many gorgeous, similarly priced hotels in this area that the Whaler really needs to either lower its prices or up its presentation and service. My advice: unless you're a single traveler or the romance has completely drained from your relationship, stay away.

3  Thank Mary D

Aloha Kakou,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay did not meet expectations especially with romance. An honest review is important and I want to take this opportunity to let all of our guests know my staff and I are here to make things right. In the future for all travelers, I highly recommend guests give the management team the opportunity to make expectations and disappointments known during your stay. This may include allowing for an early check out and helping you find the right place for your stay on Maui. We do not want anyone to have regrets. We did have several challenges this particular week with the jacuzzi heater and a few power outages too. The Whaler is not a hotel as the industry term is condotel. The units are privately owned and serviced in a similar matter to hotel with daily housekeeping, bell service, concierge and activity desks and front desk service. Generally, guests really enjoy the features provided by the extra interior space and full kitchens a condominium can offer. We hope you find your best destination in the near future.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Its our first time in Maui, and of course ive red a lot reviews about different hotels. But I am so happy that i picked this one!!!!! I mean room was clean, big very modern! We got an ocean view and it was amazing - ocean on one side and mountains on another side. Beach was clean, they has a little shop where you can rent/buy snorekeling equipment. Another great plus - Black Rock couple steps away - great snorkeling spot! Whalers village right there too, a lot of restaurants and shops. I mean this hotel has everything that you need for your vacation!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ukrponchik E

Aloha oe,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit at The Whaler. Vacation time is so important to everyone. I am really happy to hear The Whaler lived up to your expectations. I hope you choose to stay with us again in the future. Lastly, I loved seeing your pictures because it reminds me of my first time to Maui too, lots of fun and great memories.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

This condo has been updated and is the perfect getaway in style, comfort, location, ease, accessibility and value. We will definitely be returning in the future. The grounds are lovely and everyone friendly. It feels private, quiet and yet still right near everything you need. We loved it so much, it made us want to own a condo there ourselves. After staying in Wailea and Kihei, we have decided Kaanapali has the best beach, best energy, clean, safe, and easy to just relax. With Whaler's Village next door and Lahaina just a few miles down the road, you have everything you need for shopping, restaurants and groceries. While it's run as a hotel, you don't have the daily annoyance of maids knocking on your door or entering your space. Yet you still have the luxury of waterfront access, private pool, cabanas, spa, tennis courts and quiet grounds to stroll on. The Whaler far exceeded our expectations as did condo 661. It truly was a perfect Hawaiian getaway in every way. Mahalo!!

Room Tip: Condo 661 is a very large king studio w/fully renovated kitchen and bath. Perfect for a couple, but...
2  Thank Bradley W
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here end of November and early December. Stayed Oceanside and had a great view from the wrap around balcony.

There is no restaurant or bar at this hotel but its right next to whalers village which has plenty of everything you need.

Pool is nice for relaxing but other pools in the area are more kid friendly( slides, waterfalls).

Has a great beach with no rocks directly in front of the hotel. Easy access to beach.

Rooms have all just recently be upgraded. Full kitchen in the one bedroom suite we stayed in. Great showers. Clean rooms. Fold out couch not the most comfortable, but bed in bedroom was great. Leave doors open at night to hear ocean all night.

Staff was quick and officiant for any requests. Friendly. Including the very helpful and friendly staff at the activity hut by the pool.

Tip..... There is a list of timeshare owners always willing rent their units. It's next to the elevators near the parking garage. If your already there check it out. If not, I'm sure the information is online. (HAvent checked on that).

Stayed here with my family. Although there are other fancy resorts in the area I would gladly stay here again for the right price. Very quiet, relaxing hotel in a beautiful location.

• Stayed: November 2012
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Wow! What a wonderful review. Thank you for posting your vacation experience on Tripadvisor. Our entire staff enjoys reading all of our guest reviews because we are genuinely interested in improving our service in every way possible. Yes there is a board in the lower level with rentals posted but it is not available on line. To clarify, Aston Hotels and Resorts is the in-house rental program. The program maintains very high standards, provides the most flexible way to reserve accommodations and guarantees the best stay possible. Alternate methods of staying at The Whaler include: local real estate management companies, vrbo or via owners direct. Different options meet varied guest and owner needs and unfortunately, all of these choices often lead to confusion when service is required. We hope all guests find what they are looking for and enjoy many memorable visits to The Whaler for years to come.

Mahalo, Hal

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have been to Maui many times and love staying in Kaanapali. This was the first time at the Whaler. I chose this location based on the reviews and they were right! We booked through Aston so this was not through VRBO. We had daily maid service which was nice. We were in room 116 and it was great! It was a renovated room, very spacious, full kitchen, nice bathroom with tub for our 5 year old. You get to rent DVD's for free! It is right on the beach and this was a perfect location because it is very sandy and doesn't have a lot of coral right next to the water. My son was able to try to body surf and had a great time. The pool and spa was perfect. I didn't use the fitness center or sauna on the bottom floor but went to look at it and it was okay. nice to know they had that. It is close enough to walk to Black Rock to snorkel, right next to the Whaler's Village which we went to a few times and easy to get to Lahaina. I loved snorkeling at Kapalua bay which is only 5 minutes away. highly recommend

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank keeks2020

Dear guest, thank you for your helpful and wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Maui soon. I like this review because it highlights something important: The Whaler has returned! For those who may not know, the property has undergone various renovations over the last few years. The largest and most extensive ending in February of 2012 has lead to an amazing exterior. This has also lead to many owners of these beautiful condominiums to renovate the interiors. As noted above, the property maintains a premier location on Kaanapali Beach and offers a home away from home atmosphere.

Mahalo, Hal