“Family fun in Maui”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Gatos, California
“Family fun in Maui”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was a short ride to the hotel from the airport, we took the shuttle that the hotel told me about.
I wanted to make sure that I was close to the eateries , beach and shopping because I didn't want to rent a car. I had been to Maui a longtime ago and didn't want to see the sites. Just hanging out at the beach all day was what was planned. My sister wanted to see the sites so I told her to ask the hotel to arrange the tours for her. They were very helpful and she had a great time going on two tours. They set us up to go to Luau at Black Rock at the Shearton Hotel. That was one of the best Luau's I ever went too. Very good food and entertaining. The room was a two bedroom and two bath. It was very nice looking, but we did have noise two days due to some contruction work. But, they offered to move us, my family wanted to stay in that room because we were settled in already. The hotel was next to the whalers village for shopping and eating, we found the location very convenient. I would highly recommended this hotel, staff was very very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Thatgirllg
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Aloha kaua,

We appreciate your feedback. Your review highlights a few important details that may be useful for other guests. First, the location of The Whaler is well known for its convenience to everything on Kaanapali Beach. This enables guests to only use a rental car when they need one. Second, the in house rental program (hotel) strives to provide the nicest units by having unit standards. One advantage to our in-house rental program is the ability to move our guests during interior remodel noise or other room issues. We want all of our guests to be happy with their visit. Last but not least, our friendly staff cares about every guest visit. Our guests are the heart of the operation and the reason why we love the hospitality industry.

Mahalo,

The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Indonesian first
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed November 4, 2012

First of all, this trip to Maui, HI. was a surprise honeymoon I prepared for my fiance to give her on the wedding day. Our wedding was June 2, 2012 and I booked our stay here on since August 2011. Since the moment we pulled up, the bellboy was super friendly and welcomed us to The Whaler as he took our luggage. As soon as we walked into the lobby, the front desk attendant greeted us promptly with a smile on his face. He was friendly as he showed us a map of The Whaler and guided us around. We had an ocean view suite on the 10th floor that was amazingly huge. It had a full kitchen, dinning area, lanai (balcony/patio), huge bedroom, hallway to bathroom, 2 tvs (which we didn't even turn on ;-)), and more. It had beach chairs in the closet, boogie board, and golf clubs just in case we wanted to play golf at the beautiful golf course behind The Whaler. A fresh pineapple was waiting for us in the fridge also. The Whaler is right next to The Whaler's village which had shops, entertainment, and restaurants. Definately recommend The Whaler to all friends and family if they are planning to visit Maui. As mentioned above, we had the ocean view suite (Rm 1019) but The Whaler offers studios as well as ocean front suites with several bedrooms with garden views, golf course views, and ocean views. We definately recommend getting any ocean view room but preferrably a suite if you can fork up the extra cash, which is not that big of a differance in price from the studio room.

Room Tip: Room 1019 was awesome in size, view, and overall a great room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank A_Lomeli
Madison
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We've stayed on Kaanapali Beach twice before, both times at the Sheraton. This year we decided we wanted at condo so we would have kitchen for breakfast so we chose the Whaler (rented through expedia because it was cheaper with flight). We had a studio room (316) and it had everything we needed. We weren't exactly ocean front but had a great view of the beach/ocean nonetheless. Kitchen had all the tools we needed, they refreshed our coffee supplies and towels daily. It could use new carpet, but was still in really nice condition. Large lanai, comfy bed, flatscreen TV (that we never turned on), and great staff. We usually buy beach chairs but for 12 bucks a day, we rented them instead. Beach towels were always available and we exchanged them frequently. Perfect place because we were close enough to the surfboard rentals/waves and also Black Rock for snorkeling. Whalers Village right next door - great happy hour at hula grill! Also, if you are flying out red eye, you can have them hold your luggage (or put it in the car) and they will give you guest passes to use the showers, etc. after you've checked out of your room. We checked out of our room at 9 am, spent the day on the beach, and then went back in to shower. Thanks Whaler! Look forward to staying here again next year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Aloha nui,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. The studio garden view room (316) is one of the most popular room selections for value and size. In addition, all guest feedback and your honest review of the carpet will be used to improve our operations. We often get questions about the value of daily housekeeping so we are happy to hear you enjoyed the daily service. We look forward to seeing you next year as planned.

Mahalo,

Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I planned a last minute trip and booked in with a package to the whaler for a studio ocean view room and flight included- what a steal! Our room was beautiful. Reading other reviews and seeing pics I asked the receptionist before we saw what the luck of the draw brought us if we could switch and he was very kind and said yes. But we didn't need to as ours was perfect and decorated tastefully. You can't beat the location!! Its right next door to whalers village and just a quick 2min walk to black rock. Also, we got an "aloha book" at check-in which we used all the time for dinners and goodies!! Saved us money and got us cute gifts. Even tho the pool is small it's really great and does the job. The people that work the rental booth are awesome! Super cool and helpful!! The grounds are quiet and perfect for relaxing which is what we wanted! We stopped in at Costco and bought things for our kitchen (ie food n snacks) which saved us money as well. Overall a super great deal and perfect for us. TIPS: buy snorkel gear at longs drugstore down the street! Or ABC! It's only 20bucks and it's YOURS! You would pay that much ...actually more to rent it for a week!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Chickz5150
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Aloha,

We are glad that you enjoyed your vacation at The Whaler. Thank you for your review and kind words about The Whaler’s location and service staff. Our team members are trained to assist in every way possible. This includes finding you the room location and interior decor of your choice. Renting a condominium has the advantage of full kitchens and your tip about shopping at Costco on your way to the West Side will certainly be helpful to our future guests. The Whaler also offers shopping carts in the underground parking to make transferring your groceries from your car to the unit easy. We hope to see you again soon.

Mahalo nui

Kelowna BC
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I rented this studio condo in March directly from Bill and it was great. We have been to The Whaler before and we knew the area which is why we chose it again. The condo has everything needed and the kitchen is great with supplies in the drawers and cupboards which is also a great help. The only thing lacking is a dresser with drawers beside the bed for our clothes as having them in the storage room in the bathroom is not as convenient.

The view from the lanai is perfect for breakfast, relaxing, whale watching, or taking in the sunset.

There is a lounge in the lower level of T-2 which has a book exchange library for trading. It was great to have that option. There are a few books in the condo as well which was also a handy feature. There are also washrooms on that level to save you going back to your units.

The construction is finished however there are a few condo units being completely renovated which does cause some noise outside but only during day and not that bad. The grounds are being kept up everyday and they look good. There are a few open houses during the weekend which are great to look around in.

I did use the hair salon and it was great and my husband used the gym daily. We did use the pool occasionally however we prefer the ocean for the refreshing dip. We did not use the hottub as to my disappointment babies and children are going in despite the posted signs.

We have been to Maui many times and therefore did not use the concierge service for any activities. We do rent a car and travel around many parts of the Island on our own. Maui is perfect for that kind of thing as it has lots to offer.

The Whaler is beside Whalers Village and it has everything you need for shopping and dining options. The boardwalk is right outside the door for walking/jogging in either direction.

It was a great stay for the 7 nights we were there and we would certainly come back again. The front desk staff are very helpful and their service was great. They were able to secure us another condo to extend our stay a couple more nights at The Whaler. Thanx Bill for your help in securing your unit.

Room Tip: The higher the better for the view.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank oree
Vista, California
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We justed returned from Maui (October, 2012), and stayed on the 9th floor of Tower 2, facing North (with a view of the ocean & black rock). We could look down and view the koi ponds and garden area at the below. When we looked right from our lanai, we had a view of the mountains (and great night lights). Our choice of restaurants was excellent--several good ones at Whaler's Village, as well as others in area hotels. The staff were helpful and friendly, and our housekeeper was a gem. We requested housekeeping at a certain time each day (while we were out walking), and our friendly, efficient little woman was there each day, as requested. We purchased fresh fruit at Foodland (the Hawaiian market in Lahaina) the enjoyed breakfast each morning on the lanai--perfect. The paved Beach Walk that extends along the ocean for miles is the perfect place for a walk or jog, allowing a peek into the garden and pool areas of other properties. Our calendar for 2013 is out and we're already planning a "go back" to the Whaler!

Room Tip: Tower 1, facing South--lanais have sun most of the day. Tower 2, facing North--lanais have shade mo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Myrna A
Aloha,

Thank you for such a great review. We appreciate your compliments and feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed your visit and all The Whaler has to offer: friendly staff, large lanai’s for eating, location next to the Whaler’s Village shopping, daily housekeeping from the in house rental program and of course, Kaanapali Beach itself. A hui hou (until we meet again) to our wonderful guests.

Mahalo nui,

Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My review is based on a very atypical situation, but I think it says a lot about the hotel's staff. I sent my elderly father to stay at the hotel for a few weeks on his own. He is accustomed to traveling on his own but clearly those days are now past him and it was my mistake to let him go alone. On the third day into his vacation he had a medical incident and had to go to the local hospital. I contacted the hotel manager, Hal, and he quickly sprang into action. He alerted his whole staff of the situation, helped me think through the safest way to get my father home, found a nearby nursing assistance team to take him to the airport, and just generally helped us through the ordeal every step of the way. He even sent a follow-up e-mail to make sure my father had made it safely through the plane ride home and to express his good wishes for his health.

There was a lot of coordination and back and forth during this situation because my father was disoriented from the medical event and difficult to work with and the patience and empathy of Hal and his staff throughout was exceptional to say the least. I don't think they want to be the go-to hotel for people that might need such medical assistance. Indeed, they are not designed for such. My point is simply that they went over and beyond the call of duty and I think that says a lot about the people that work there. I hope you never need such services, but I think it is good to know that you are staying at a place where people have such values. Again, a big thank you to Hal and the staff at the Whaler. Our family will always be appreciate their great help to us during a very difficult time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Ali D
Hal N, General Manager at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Aloha mai e,

First, I would like to thank and recognize all of our guests for taking the time to review The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach. One might notice this is the first time management has responded to a guest comment on Tripadvisor. We will continue to respond to the voice of our customers because it is very important to understand what type of experience you had at The Whaler. I would like to share some important milestones in several areas that we are very proud of. It marks one of many stages in the development or progression for our guests and owners, the property, and the service team.

In the case of our guests and owners, I am reminded about the fragility and circle of life itself. The Whaler is one of the first properties built on Kaanapali Beach. To this day, it has been embraced by many of the original owners and guests. Similar to our guest referenced above, I know of a few that may not be able to return for various health reasons and we wish them well. Spending time at The Whaler is special and we learn to take each moment in life here as a gift.

As for the property, renewed life is found all around us and hope you agree with us that we have great pride in maintaining the integrity of The Whaler. In this case, the marker represents the completion of many years of exterior renovations and improvements. This took the courage and strength of many to achieve. We are thankful to those who kept the vision alive and moving forward. You have our team’s commitment to sustaining and continuously improving The Whaler. Again, life is about the journey, not the end result.

And for the team; the true reward is assisting our guests and being here to help. Behind the scenes, each person involved shared their Aloha spirit and care. Together we made a difference. We learned on that day and in those moments exactly why we choose to work and live here. Let us share with you our Aloha. If you have not been to The Whaler before, please consider spending time with us. If you are a returning guest, visit soon because life is meant to be lived for the present.

Mahalo nui loa