This is our sixth visit to Maui. On this trip we stayed at the Whaler on Ka'anapali Beach. Following are some details and recommendations for staying at this condo.
The Whaler complex was built in 1976 and it is definitely showing signs of its age. There are two buildings - Tower I and Tower II. Both are two very basic, concrete rectangular buildings with 12 stories each. There is a basic lawn and garden area in between the two buildings, and a small pool and one spa tub.
For your best experience, I highly recommend you get a unit in Tower I facing the interior of the complex (south side of the building). These are units ending in 1-23; e.g., 1123. This side gets the direct sun exposure, with views of the sunrise and sunsets. You'll also be able to look at the pool and shared grounds from your private lanai. The south side of Tower II will also get sun exposure; however, they are overlooking The Whaler Village shopping mall and the back side of several restaurants. These are units ending in 51-73.
We stayed in Tower II on the north side, unit 1170. These are units ending in numbers 52-74. We rented our unit directly from the owners. Our unit was tastefully decorated and clean. It had a washer/dryer, free Internet access, and was well-stocked with kitchen supplies and spices, etc. for cooking. As mentioned above, our unit is on the north side, so it never gets any direct sun whatsoever. But it does have beautiful beach, ocean and mountain views. We could also see Black Rock and Molakai island. Overall our unit was very nice. Nevertheless, we spent most of our time on the beach and outdoors.
Food is VERY expensive here on the islands. Therefore, if you are staying at least a week, we recommend that you make a stop at Costco in Kahului (very close to the airport). If you don't have a Costco membership there is a Safeway grocery store just a few miles from the Whaler condos.
If you want to lounge by the pool, you'll need to get a space reserved before the sun rises. There are only about 45 lounge chairs for the entire complex. Unfortunately, people place their towels and cheap personal property (suntan lotion, magazine, etc.) to keep their chair reserved for the entire day.
Be warned that the underground parking garage and main entrance were under construction. These are in between the two towers. Therefore, note that there is construction noise (jack hammers, saws and machinery) from 8:00 - 5:00 weekly if you are staying in units that face the interior of the complex. Confirm with the owner and/or front desk to inquire on the construction schedule and completion date.
Overall, this is a nice complex that we'd rate as 2.5-3 stars. It's clean and the staff are friendly. The primary draw-back is the very small pool area. It's entirely too small for a larger complex. However, you can lounge by a pool at any hotel. This is Hawaii, so enjoy the gorgeous sandy beach and truly warm water!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This exclusive luxury condominium boasts an idyllic location on Maui's famous Kaanapali Beach across from two championship golf courses and minutes from Lahaina. Each spacious unit features a full kitchen and a spectacular view. A beachfront pathway and private access allows guests easy entry to adjacent Whalers Village's 65 shops and restaurants. Please be advised of these changes to the daily resort fee at Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach. These changes will go into effect April 1, 2017. - Any new reservations booked for travel April 1, 2017 – May 31, 2017, will be subject to a resort fee of $17.00 plus tax per day. - On June 1, 2017, Daily Amenity Fee increases to $20. This applies to ALL reservations staying through these dates, regardless of when they booked the reservation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Cancelon, Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone and HotelQuickly so you can book your Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Hotel Lahaina
- Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Lahaina
- Whaler Kaanapali Beach
- Kaanapali Beach
- The Whaler Maui
- Aston At The Whaler On Kaanapali Beach Maui/Lahaina