Napili Sunset delivered again on our expectations. We had a lovely unit, # 114, one bedroom lower level with a spacious lanai and the lawn in front, shared with excellent and friendly neighbors up and down the lounge-chair area and on the beach. The sound and sight of the ocean always at hand, we enjoy having the kitchen and spacious living room as well as the comfortable king bed in the back, with a breeze flowing through and birdsong every morning. The weather cooperated perfectly, the snorkeling was excellent, and the calm, clear turquoise water was amazing, day after day.
One area where the state of Hawaii has made great strides is the smoke-free hotel ordinance. Now, if they could just join the city of San Diego and ban smoking on the beaches, that would be awesome. Fortunately, there wasn't too much of the latter, but there was some, and always, the butts left in the sand. This is every beach we visited, not just Napili Bay.
Management and housekeeping at Napili Sunset are as friendly and efficient as ever. We had no problems and were supplied with extra bath towels as needed. People who snorkel three times a day tend to need to shower more often, but there were plenty of hooks and bars to hang the towels on to dry so we could re-use them. Parking was adequate and readily available.
High grocery prices are always present in the islands, but this trip we took advantage of the Farmers Market store in Honokawai. Napili Sunset hands you a flyer for this shop at check-in, and it has a pineapple coupon. We found better and less expensive (and organic) produce at this market. By contrast, the prices at the roadside stand at Olowalu will make your hair stand on end. We also bought delicious fish to grill at the condo.
We have stayed at half a dozen hotels and condos on Maui, and this was our fourth visit to Napili Sunset. It is hands down the winner in our book. There isn't any other place we've been that has this proximity to the ocean, as well as convenient location on the island and all the amenities we like: outdoor showers, grill, chaises, and of course the laundry room with its supply of beach chairs, coolers, and floats, noodles, and boogie boards to borrow. We bring our own gear, but Snorkel Bob's is across the road next to the Napili General Store, which is also handy for supplies.
And of course, there are the sunsets. Spectacular. Convivial, with fellow condo-dwellers out on the lawn having social hour and the last swimmers still playing in the ocean below. The grill gets fired up and tasty dinners are prepared, which are then enjoyed on lanais.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- NAMED ONE OF THE TOP 10 BEACH FRONT HOTELS IN THE WORLD BY FROMMERS, Napili Sunset is different from most hotels; Napili Sunset is quite literally, on the beach. Napili Sunset’s two story Kanani and Kekalani buildings house 26 units which open to an elevated lawn with a commanding view of Napil Bay, the islands of Molokai and Lanai, and spectacular sunsets over the Pacific Ocean. Napili Sunset is on Napili Bay, a quarter mile long and crescent shaped, the bay forms a beach with warm golden sand and inviting blue waters. Reefs protect the beach from large waves and provide a home for colorful tropical fish, sea turtles and beautiful coral. Napili beach is widely recognized as one of the best beaches in all of Hawaii. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotels.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Napili Sunset reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Napili Sunset Hotel Lahaina
- Napili Sunset Maui/Lahaina
- Napili Sunset Lahaina