“High- class resort” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Seattle
“High- class resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

First you must want to stay in this exclusive area (steps from the Ritz Carlton on Kapalua, on the West coast of Maui). Then you must like a perfect bay with snorkeling reefs easy to access, and the central sand bar for turtles. The accommodation is very good and you can self-cater with the use of a little kitchen and full-size fridge. We also ate at the in-house restaurant, the Sea House. Good fisherman's stew and prime rib. You can have a great time at this resort, and if you want an outing, Lahaina is maybe a 20 minute drive away.

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at a fantastic property first honoua Kai, dynamite. Then went to Napili Kai. What a let down. Property has tried to be updated but leaves so much to be done also. No ac in most rooms and yes thy will give you a fan, but if you have any breathing issues it doesn't work. Pool is very outdated. View is the only thing going for this property, along with the restaurant, which was wonderful. Bathroom is the size of a postage stamp. As someone else stated earlier, it is a glorified Motel 6. If you want to wash clothes, you are restricted to what time you can do it, as it doesn't open until 8am and closes at 8pm. We could of figure out how this resort can charge so much for the rates and get away with it, we'll, it is owner owned and they have had people (same) come over and over again. We were there over Thanksgiving, then after that the property emptied out. I agree with another review, this property wants to Nicole and dime you for all kinds of things. They say no resort fee, but for what a few cooler to use. I would rather pay a resort fee and have something very nice. Oh, we never got any dishwashing soap, and at honoua Kai it was provided. Good luck Napili Kai, but we probably won't return as we many other choices and come to Maui almost every year for a month, so your loss.

Room Tip: Get a different property
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank shirleync
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I had made a reservation for March 2014 and after scouring their website I couldn't tell if the rooms had a/c. As I have some respiratory issues I require it when I sleep. I called the front desk and asked if the room had a/c. The answer I received was "Not all of them". Period. Silence. Ok....well I have a room booked and need to know if it has a/c. After a few minutes back and forth we determined that my room didn't. It is a standard ocean view hotel room. I travel a great deal at some of the best hotels so I am accustomed to the front desk employees to be inquisitive and accommodating, neither of which this particular one was.

So i was next transferred to reservations and in the midst of telling my story, she interrupted, "Last name". Really??? When I explained my needs I was told I would need to upgrade my room for another $75 per night. Or... I could have a room that didn't have the kitchen described. These two employees truly turned me off to the resort, enough so to cancel the reservation. If this is how they tend to their potential guests I can only image how they treat them once they're there. There are too many other equally wonderful properties on the beautiful island of Maui, that one should only have the most positive of customer care. INHO :-)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank DoingOurPart
Piermont, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

This place was absolutely lovely. My 13 year old daughter and I spent five nights here over Christmas vacation. We had a one bedroom suite, with a bedroom, living room, large kitchen, two bathrooms, and a lovely lanai. The hotel is on a small bay, with a lovely beach. Our room was in one of the newer remodeled buildings and everything worked beautifully. The view of the bay was exquisite. The property is very well maintained. The restaurant is not especially exciting, but one big plus in its favor is that it has an entire gluten-free menu available. Next door, at the Kapalua Resort, there is a fabulous restaurant called Merriman's (within walking distance, but expensive and requires reservations). We were always able to park right by our room. There was a wonderful farm market store a few miles down the road. It really is a lovely place to stay. The only complaint I had was that it was often a little windy on the beach at this end of Maui. But that was really very minor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank PiermontMS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at the Napili Kai Beach Resort and I was suitably impressed and delighted to experience the beauty that this hotel offers. My stay was from the 4th - 12th December, for a Retreat and the over all standard of rooms (ocean view studio) was clean, spacious and nicely furnished with a spotlessly clean cooking area (kitchenette). It was very quiet in the evening, and the beach was literally on the doorstep, accompanied by breathtakingly spectacular views at sun rise and sunset. I particularly liked the safe, crescent shaped beach, which is suitable for everyone, including novice swimmers (like myself).The food was excellent, I ate seafood and tried the vegetarian dishes which were full of flavour and totally delicious. The vegetables, brown rice and fresh fruits at breakfast were varied, nicely presented, accompanied by very efficient service. Worthy of a mention is Hazel, a front desk Receptionist, who was most helpful with room allocation and checking in procedures.
Looking forward to the next visit!

Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Lakshmi888
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

My partner and I stayed a week here in October with his 13 year old son. We had a one bedroom suite in the Puna Point building. This is one of the newer/remodeled buildings and the room was perfect for us with a lovely lanai. We had a bedroom and bathroom to ourselves and his son had a bathroom and very comfortable sleeping area in the living room. The kitchen was great and we made good use of it for breakfast and snacks. This building has A/C which was a must for us. It was HOT in October!

This is definitely a "boutique" hotel and NOT a resort by normal definitions. It's pretty much self service. No one is bringing you drinks on the beach or taking care of towels and chairs. No room service, etc. We knew that going in, so it was not a problem at all. But, after staying at a few resorts with full service on other vacations...I did have moments where I really wished there was beach or pool service. But, we secured a cooler for the week from the resort and just toted our drinks around with us. There was a small pool for our building and when I needed a break from the crowds I camped out there. It was actually lovely and quiet. Nothing fancy, but the perfect spot to relax and get away for a bit. There's a shaded dining/living room area by the pool, so if you want to grill and have a family meal it's a perfect spot for it.

The location is truly beautiful. We chose it specifically for the snorkeling and were not disappointed. The beach was extremely busy since it's public, so getting down there early to stake out a good spot is key. Very little shade available and people will plop down right next to you (or on you!) since it's pretty packed. We actually enjoyed the beach right next door to our building better. The snorkeling was more interesting...SEA TURTLES...and every other fish you can imagine. The coral reefs were amazing. That beach isn't as busy either and just had a more laid back vibe going.

We ate dinner at the restaurant and it was decent, but a better choice is happy hour. That was definitely our favorite and highly recommended both for the quality and the price. Also recommend going to old town Lahaina. Great shops and some really fantastic galleries. I could have spent a full day there and will definitely carve out more time on our next visit.

We would definitely go back to Napili Kai again. It was a fun-filled vacation in beautiful surroundings. The staff were all very nice and friendly. We had no issues whatsoever with our room or any part of our trip.

Room Tip: The Puna Point building is at the far end of the resort, very quiet and the rooms are modern and lov...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PDXtravelgal36
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

loved the beach on the property which was great for snorkeling.

were given a roim with just sofa beds initially ans after arguing for a while, hot moved to a much nicer but older room. check your rooms when you book.

Food is good and if you have a car, lots of yhos yo do around

1 Thank ksriniv