“perfect location, perfect stay”

Napili Kai Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed in the Lani II building in an ocean view studio. Grounds are very clean and well kept, our room was very spacious, newly renovated, and had a HUGE lanai that was perfect for drinking coffee and just watching the bay. Staff is amazing, friendly, and helpful. Seahouse restaurant happy hour can't be beat. We had a room with no air conditioner and the temperature was just perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Napili Kai Beach Resort was originally built in the 60's, but has continually been updated. While some of the rooms are slightly dated, they are clean and comfortable. The vegetation on the grounds have grown over the years and are exceptionally beautiful and very well kept. One of the things that make this one of the best places to stay on Maui is that has an exceptionally beautiful protected beach at the resort with several reefs just off shore for snorkeling. The Napili Kai Bay Beach is one of the best beaches on the island for swimming or just laying on the beach. Another thing that makes this one of the best places to stay is the Sea House Restaurant located right on the beach at the resort. Not only is the food at the Sea House Restaurant very good, the view from the restaurant is outstanding. If you are a golfer, you will really enjoy the putting greens that are part of the landscaping of the resort. The resort has an activity coordinator and there are many activities planned for the guest throughout the week including things like putting and Mai Tai Parties. For those who like to walk and explore, a real plus is that the resort is located a the beginning of the 1.76 mile Kapalua Coastal Trail that allows you to walk to other beaches in the area. There are grills located at the resort if you would like to cook your own food outside. You can even buy food from the resort to grill. The resort has an excellent concierge that can help you plan and obtain tickets to most of the activities on the island.

We had a Ocean View Family Studio which was dated, but spacious with a small kitchen and a very large balcony (lanai) that overlooked the resort pool and beach front. The room had excellent Wi-Fi service.
The resort is located at the west end of the island which is the dry side of the island. It is about 10 miles from Lahaina, a favorite tourist destination on the island with many great restaurants and lots of things to do and see. We had a great time at the resort and will definitely be going back

Things we liked:
• located on one of the best beaches on the island for swimming and snorkeling
• Beautiful and well kept grounds - 4 swimming pools
• Beautiful ocean and beach view from rooms
• Excellent restaurant at resort that is located on the beach
• Located on dry side of island and close to Lahaina
• Ocean View rooms have large balconies (Lanai)
• Wi-Fi in rooms
• Family studio has full kitchenette
• Friendly staff
• Guest activities scheduled for each day
• Towels, chairs and coffee for guest provided on beach
• Excellent concierge service

Things we did not like so much:
• tiny and sparse parking spaces -- even for a compact car
• our room was somewhat dated
• sidewalks in need of repair

Room Tip: strongly suggest getting an Ocean View Room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 451DennisM7
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Everything about this property is wonderful!!!!!....from the rooms to the staff.....the grounds.....the facilities....the view....and the beach. We couldn't have asked for a better experience. Our studio condo was on the ground floor in the same building as the front desk and lobby. We had a view of the beach and the wonderful bay. The kitchen was fully stocked with everything we needed to enjoy several breakfasts there. My wife fell in love with your lovely resort. On the morning between 8:00 and 9:00 am of the second day, my wife was outside chatting with some people when she started shouting, "Dolphins"....Dolphins.....Dolphins.....I came out on the Lanai to see a group of Spinner Dolphins swim into the bay inside the reef. They were swimming with people snorkling and several paddle boarders were in the area too. The presence of the people didn't bother them at all. The hung around for 15 to 20 minutes. Unfortuneately I didn't get any pictures as I was too far away. In talking with one of the resort's staff members who had worked there 10 years, they had never seen this happen before where so many dolphins came so close to shore. We met so many nice people there too. Honeymoon couples.......anniversary couples who stayed here on their honeymoon and now are back after 10, 15, 20 or more years. The Restaurant was wonderful......enjoyed happy hour there as well as two breakfasts......prices were fair....food and drink quality were 5 star!!!! Will have dinner there next time. The front desk staff were helpful and took care of every request we made quickly. The Concierge desk was staffed by two very competent people...."happy" and "Kai" who were knowledgable, helpful, and friendly. They were not pushy at all regarding booking tours and activities. I would like to especially thank Kimberly" the front desk manager who saw to it that we had a downstairs condo instead of upstairs. I explained that I had had a hip replacement 6 months prior and while fully healed didn't want to have to negotiate stairs up and down. She expedited our request in a professional way and our downstairs condo was ready for us in a very short time. The is no doubt in my mind that we will stay here again and again.......The hardest thing to do was to pack and leave. We will never stay in the high rise cement condos and hotels in Kannapali ever again. One bit of guidance.....when you shop for groceries, go to the Safeway in Lahaina and don't shop at the Napili market. The Safeway had a much better selection and your Von's Club membership works there.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have air conditioning and some don't. We had one with just a ceiling fan. We...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wine4me1
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My friend and I visited Maui this past February and while I was going through the photos I was awash in such warm feelings that I felt compelled to share my experience. The Napili Kai resort exceeded my expectations in nearly every way. The low-rise individual buildings hug a large part of the beach and the north point of Napili Bay. They are relatively small with pathways lined with mature trees and glorious flowers that wind and twist, creating interesting nooks to explore and a feeling of seclusion. The rooms are well maintained, spacious and comfortable. The kitchenette saved us a great deal of time and money (and probably a few extra pounds) by making it easy for us to eat in a couple meals a day. The views are amazing; from our lanai we saw dozens of whales blowing and breaching through the bands of Hawaii's famous rainbows.
The bay itself is only a short walk down a path that winds past the sea level rooms and the restaurant to the sand. Napili Bay beach is relatively quiet and clean. You will find a few sunbathers and kids with their dad half-buried in the sand. The bay water is fairly flat and clear with interesting coral reefs and rock spits, making for interesting snorkeling and exploring from a paddle board. Both of which my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed.

The Sea House restaurant offers delicious meals at a fairly reasonable price. Just be sure to make a reservation on weekends. I don’t think I’d bring my kids in, because the service is relaxed on Maui time, not toddler time. Don't neglect having a cinnamon roll for breakfast one day. Wow.

Our recently renovated room in the Aloha building was gorgeous, but I have a few small suggestions for improvements.

It needed more power outlets.
My friend and I were always jockeying for places to charge all of our gadgets, phones, cameras, iPad... A few more outlets near a small shelf would be perfect.

A rack for drying beach towels and swim trunks, rash guards, etc. would be helpful. I'm sure the management is concerned for eyesores, but like most other lanais, ours nearly always sported towel-draped wicker chairs. A small, fold up, steel rack in the corner would be less obtrusive.

The kitchen and bathroom floors seemed to need a good scrubbing. The room was tidy and vacuumed but a paper towel wicked over the tiles in the kitchen came up dirty on the first day. The grout was a bit grimy too.

All in all, my suggestions are very minor. The stay was wonderful, the staff was friendly and very helpful. The concierge, Happy--no seriously that is her name--was full of excellent advice and made reserving our paddle boards easy.

I can't wait to return with my family in a few years and I will certainly choose Napili Kai Resort again. We explored much of the island and while some had more polish and certainly more pomp, the Napili Kai Resort stands out because it blends in with Maui's amazing natural beauty.

What I liked:

Short walk to the water
Amazing lanai views
Excellent restaurant
Kid friendly atmosphere and beach
Kitchenette and refrigerator
Short walk to laundry facilities
Free Wi-fi (so many places charge an extra fee)
Air-conditioning
Large resort, small feel
Friendly and very helpful staff
Old world feel, yet very well maintained
No extra fees for parking, towels, shows et.al.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amy W
Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I were lucky enough to stay at Napili Kai from August 29 to September 2, after a 5 night trip to Kauai. I've been a travel agent for 15+ years, and have traveled the world and visited and stayed in hundreds of hotels (mostly tropical locations). Napili Kai is my new favorite, hands down!! The staff was friendly and welcoming, and we were in awe when we opened the door of room #217.....1 bedroom oceanfront in the Puna Point section. WOW WOW WOW!! Absolutely incredible view from the living room/balcony. Room was also furnished with a full kitchen, 2 bathrooms, 2 TV's, and bedroom with a King sized bed. Had a/c, too, which is a must for me (high powered ceiling fans in the bedroom and living room as well). Stocked up on groceries at the Napili Market down the street, and prices were not as bad as expected. Pretty good variety as well. There is a much appreciated hotel policy of NO cell phone calls on the balcony, which I was thrilled to hear. Wired and Wi Fi in the room (free), although the Wi Fi was spotty at times, especially in the evenings.

Puna Point was perfect for us, on the far end of the property, with less people (although the resort never felt crowded). Loved the walkway along the shoreline to get to the beach. Saw a couple pushing a stroller on it, LOL! Napili does not nickel-and-dime you, like you find at most other resorts in Hawaii....free internet, parking, putting green, snorkel gear, coffee/tea/lemonade in the beach cabana, beach towels, coolers (came in handy), BBQ's, etc. NO resort fee, either. Property was super clean, with beautiful Hawaiian flowers throughout.

Beach is the most beautiful hotel beach I've seen in Hawaii (Mauai, Kauai or Oahu). Absolutely as picturesque as you could possibly get. Calm, crystal blue water with no waves. Excellent reefs for snorkeling, and I got to swim along side a huge turtle! Don't bother with Honolulu Bay down the street, Napili Bay is better, with easier entry. Although there are several other hotels on Napiii Bay, there is plenty of space for everyone (section of the beach where Napili Kai is located is the best as well). Weekends brought locals, but nothing to be concerned about.

At at the Sea House restaurant a couple of times for breakfast, and didn't want to leave because of the views! Da Kitchen Sink Fried Rice was delicious, and what a bargain for $10 (we had leftovers). Prices for breakfast and lunch were very reasonable. No many other restaurants in the area that are, though. We drove to Lahaina for dinner each night, about 15 minutes away.

As golfers, we had to try out the 18 hole putting course (there is also a 9 hole child course), and we weren't disappointed. Condition of the green was well kept, with decent putters and balls. Played several times, but unfortunately it closes at 5 pm, same time as the towel hut. Too bad, because the sunset wasn't until 6:45 pm. Would have been nice to play in the evening.

Renovations are currently taking place in one building, but no disturbance at all to guests. One of the other buildings will be done after that, as well as some work on the pool. It just keeps getting better and better!!!

Took the beach path one day that leads along Kapalua Bay (next door) and to the Ritz Carlton. Definitely worth doing if you have time. Not difficult at all, and some beautiful sites to see along the way. I believe it was 1.75 miles each way, ending at the Ritz beach. I did an extension to the Dragon Teeth, too.

Thank you to the staff of Napili Kai, for your wonderful hospitality. We were so sad to leave, and are already thinking of a return trip next year. For anyone thinking of staying at this resort, I promise you will love it. So much better than those high rise resorts with hundreds of people everywhere. THIS is the resort you came to Hawaii for! :-)

Room Tip: Rooms in Puna Point are quieter, but further from the beach. Not the best choice if traveling with...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kmackey1172
Reviewed September 6, 2013

After a month of research and indecisiveness to choose a hotel in Maui, I decided to stay at Napili Kai Beach Resort.There were so many choices and so many different reviews posted that the decision was not easy! For our graduation gift, my sister and I took a week long vacation at this marvelous resort.

After reading all the reviews, I was weary of not having A/C in the room and sure enough, when we checked-in, we were given a room with no A/C but it had the best view! The room was spacious and newly remodeled. We were given the option of another room but it wasn't remodeled and the view was not great but we wanted the nice view. They brought us a floor fan. After 3 days, I couldn't take the heat/humidity. It wasn't that bad but to me, it didn't feel like a vacation but more like I was roughin' it! I went to the front desk and asked for a room with A/C. They offered us a room exactly like the one we had but with A/C at no extra charge! We gladly took it! I was very pleased with the service we received from all staff at this resort. Everyone was so friendly!

I read reviews about ant problems at this place. We bought groceries and put everything in the refrigerator. A crumb will bring ants!

This resort has the best beach!!! The water is clear and beautiful! Guests can check out snorkels/goggles at no charge! We used the goggles and saw some beautiful tropical fish! There is also a beautiful coastal trail for those who want to take a jog or a walk. The Sea House restaurant was amazing! It its pricey for dinner but you cannot beat it's happy hour!!

I will definitely return to this place with my son! It is a great place for families!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank CellyCel7
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter and I spent 5 nights here Aug 29-Sept 3. It is a quiet, relaxing resort on Napili Beach in Maui. The Seahouse restaurant is right on the beach and the view was amazing. The best part was the sunsets here. Many locals come to this beach to watch the sunset. Wonderful swimming and snorkleling (the resort has free snorkle gear for guests). The bar closes at 10 p.m. so if you're a party animal your out of luck. We were in one of the hotel rooms. It wasn't rennovated. Comfortable bed, large bathroom and a large lanai. We had a garden and ocean view - lovely! You do need a car - no doubt. There were ants in bathroom- annoying but not a showstopper. All in all it was a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Napili Kai Beach Resort? Share your experiences!