Best Western Pioneer Inn
$287
$275
$299
$219
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$235
$468
$407
Hotwire.com
  • Beachfront
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$309
$257
getaroom.com
  • Beachfront
All reviewsthe banyan treeno elevatorhistoric hotelfront streetgreat locationlahaina harborattached restaurantrocking chairsair conditionercentral locationrooms are smallstreet noisewhale watchingcorner roomceiling fanmini fridgea great place to stay
Reviewed September 20, 2005

The oldest hotel in town, the Pioneer Inn, is a local landmark. It’s smack in the middle of Lahaina. I stayed there with my wife and 3 boys (ages 11, 9, and 5). It’s not a place I would want to spend a week at, but for a night or two it has a great location while capturing the feel of Lahaina and its kooky, touristy fun.

The Pioneer Inn was built in 1901 and was the only hotel in western Maui until 1964. It’s now under the Best Western banner. There is a plaque at the registration desk citing them as one of the top Best Westerns in the country. I’m not surprised…it was definitely the best Best Western I have ever stayed at.

They had a set of rules posted by the desk from when the hotel first opened. Some of them are pretty funny such as “If you burn or wet you bed, you going out” and “You are not allow in the down stears in the seating room or in the dinering room or in the kitchen when you are drunk.”. Fortunately, the boys remained sober and enjoyed climbing the banyan tree next door for nearly an hour. We had a great lunch at Aloha Mixed Plate and the boys satisfied their pizza jones at B.J.’s that night. You will not lack for dining choices in Lahaina.

Our room was a “suite”, although there was no separate sitting room. It was very spacious, however. We had a king bed and a queen pull-down Murphy bed. The hotel also has pretty decent and FREE wireless high-speed Internet access. There was a small lanai that overlooks an inner courtyard. You have no privacy on the lanai—it’s more a motel-like internal open hallway with the lanais separated by open wooden fences. Our room overlooking the garden was very peaceful, however. A number of rooms overlook the main drag, Front Street. I would imagine they could be pretty noisy and/or excellent vantage points for first-class people watching, depending on your mood.

The room was very clean and everything was in working order. Reception staff was gracious and friendly. All-in-all, this is no fancy resort, but is a very good value. I would definitely stay again.

The morning we checked out we had excellent, plate-covering macadamia nut pancakes in the hotel’s restaurant. A nice cap to a nice stay. When you’re in Lahaina you look at the pretty green clapboard siding of the Pioneer Inn with its white trim and you say to yourself, “gee, I wish I could stay in a place like that”. Well, you can.

• Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank Bellybones
Reviewed July 13, 2005

My husband and I stayed across from the Banyan Tree. We could sit out on our veranda and watch the people under the B tree, the boat people and the shoppers. Loved listening to the bands. By 10:PM it was pretty quiet.
Mornings were early with busses, birds and people but if your door was closed you could not hear much.
The staff was really friendly. We had the pool to ourselves. The rooms were clean and comfortable. (felt like the OLD WEST)
I really liked being closed to all the shops, restaraunts, and bars. We took the $1 shuttle to the beach and then walked the 4-5 miles back.
This was my 1st trip and I hope to return very soon.
I would recommend Banyan side as you will have scenery & action.
My most memorable part of Lahaina was the beautiful sunny, calm weather. Lahaina reminded me of Banff, AB.

• Stayed: April 2005
5  Thank kimbalya
Reviewed June 25, 2005

We are two retired Brits who have no desire to stay in cloned "anywhere" chain hotels so we chose the Poineer on the internet. What a brilliant choice. The shade of the trees as we stepped from out rental car, the colonial atmosphere and the pleasant smile of the receptionist, boded well. We were not to be disappointed. The Pioneer was an oasis of calm. Our room was facing the park where craft stalls were set up each day. The room had recently been renovated and other rooms were undergoing the same treatment. It was clean, simple, charming and comfortable. The Verandah (Lanai to non Brits) was huge cool and a most pleasant place to relax in the evening prior to eating. The centre courtyard with its small pool could have been somebody's well tended garden. We worried a little about noise but being away from the main drag it was tolerable. I am not so sure about rooms on the landward side. After the madness of Waikiki it was like a soothing balm. If we are allowed one gripe it would only be the steep narrow stairs.... but its worth the effort.

• Stayed: April 2005
8  Thank Poves
A TripAdvisor Member
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed June 12, 2005

Stayed three nights at the Pioneer Inn. Staff was friendly and helpful. The room had a nice view of the banyon tree and dock. Hotel was very clean and you can't beat the location. The only drawbacks were parking was three blocks away (understandable) and the desk didn't tell me that they wouldn't be there until 730am the next day to check me out. I found out through a security guard who secured my luggage until they arrived. I did find out later that it was written at the front desk to settle accounts the night before if you leave before 730 the next day but one would have to look for it..Still a great place to stay and will definitely stay there again next year.

• Stayed: May 2005