“Pioneer Inn - Great Location”

Best Western Pioneer Inn
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Pioneer Inn - Great Location”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

hired a care with some friends who had been here before. Just popped in for a relaxing drink. Good selection of beers and ales. Great location overlooking the sea. staff firendly and attentitive. Would definitely go for a drink here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Hardwick, Vermont, United States
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My daughter and I recently landed at Pioneer Inn completely by accident. After 18 hours on airplanes, we arrived on Maui to find that it was too late to check into the apartment we had rented. I desperately searched for a hotel under $300 and found only the Pioneer Inn. We drove to Lahaina from Kahalui, and I was pleased to see the vibrancy and action happening on front street, even though we were looking for somewhere quiet. We were checked in by Amber, who was very helpful, friendly and accommodating. She asked if we would prefer a room overlooking the action, or a quieter room overlooking the pool. We opted for the quieter room. This is a historic hotel, and the room reflected that. Not very large, but updated and very clean, with a lovely little veranda and plantation shutters to let in the breeze.
The hotel restaurant was good, service was good, food was good, though not outstanding on all counts; it was still very palatable and pleasant. Got a burger and it was as described and cooked as ordered ( no small feat, these days).
The bed in the room was GREAT, just what my aching, airplane-seat tortured body needed. Our bags were brought up by a very cheerful and energetic young Man ( we were moving my daughter to school via airline, so our bags were big and heavy!).
Shower in the morning was very good, hot, fast. I would have preferred a bit more variety on the shower head, but am used to the single option at Best Westerns generally.
Breakfast was o.k., not outstanding, and service was a bit looser than at dinner, but still completely acceptable.
Location was excellent, Anna upon checkout was very helpful and striving to please in the European manner, which was very nice to encounter in the u.s. and Hawaii especially.
All around great stay. I will definitely return and stay longer than the one night. Mahalo!

Room Tip: Pool view was quiet and had a nice view of the ocean across the park.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Naisha A
Yukon, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I love this place. Great room, great Lanai, great location! The staff is friendly and helpful! Located right in the heart of the town with great shopping and restaurants. Will always pick this place for Maui!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hulagirl1, Owner at Best Western Pioneer Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for recognizing our friendly staff. We hope to see you again soon.
Ramona, California
Reviewed August 18, 2013

For the relatively small amount of money I spent, I had expected a standard Best Western in Lahaina a few blocks from Front St. I was amazed to find it located right on the harbor off Front. Very quaint and you absolutely could not have a better Lahaina location. The room was small, but enough for our needs. Air conditioning, in addition to a ceiling fan. Nice staff, but the big deal about this is that you are right off Front Street in the middle of everything Lahaina has to offer. Can't do better than this!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have a balcony.
1 Thank dftruett
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here in July 2013. I got a very good rate from the Pioneer Inn's website. Had to prepay but could cancel up to 7 days before arrival. Compared to other hotels that I checked this was a very good value.

My room had 1 queen size bed, a very large dresser, 2 nightstands, 2 luggage racks, a table for 2 with 2 chairs, an armoire, abd a med. size flat screen TV. The bed was comfy and had 4 smaller size pillows. There were 3 table lamps & 1 floor lamp in the bedroom that provided excellent lighting. The bedroom portion also had a dorm size fridge, a ceiling fan, an iron & ironing board, coffee pot, 2 mugs and an alarm clock. The room was carpeted but it didn't seem like is had any padding. The bathroom was updated with a pedestal sink & a tub. The bathroom had one small shelf at the base of the mirror. If another shelf could be installed, it would help with the limited space for toiletries. Rooms are on the 2nd floor and come with a good size lanai with 2 chairs & a table.

Internet access is free & at check in I was provided with a discount voucher for a meal at the attached restaurant. My check in did not go as well as I'd liked. I was not able to pull up in the area out front, unload my suitcase & check-in. There were cars, limos, trucks, etc. parked there for long periods of time. Signs are posted that it is an unloading area & I didn't find any person of authority monitoring it. As an over 50 solo traveler, I did not like having to park in the Pioneer's designated lot just over a block away & unload my luggage there. It took me 2 trips. By the way, the hotel parking is free which is a great plus.

I found the staff to be very helpful. The inn has a nice courtyard and a small pool. It's location is terrific too. I enjoyed being able to walk around Lahaina including walking out to the harbor which is just across the street to watch the beautiful sunsets. I'd recommend the inn for being a great value & a historic hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Virginia2002
hulagirl1, Owner at Best Western Pioneer Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you for your thorough comments about all of our hotel amenities. We agree that the traffic congestion in front of our hotel can sometimes be a nuisance especially at certain times of the day when all the excursion boats are arriving or leaving. We are working with the County to come up with a remedy for this and hope to have one by your next visit.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Without question the best hotel for your money. The price is right and the quality is excellent. Rooms are very comfortable and have lanais for relaxing views around the hotel. Staff are extremely informative, efficient, and always courteous with every request or inquiry. Excellent location near all shops, dining, and sightseeing. Right in front of the dock for trips to neighboring Lanai. Excellent restuarant and bar on the premises. The only drawback would be the absence of an elevator. This was not a big negative as the Inn is only two stories, but could be a barrier to those physically challenged. The Pioneer Inn also has free parking which is becoming an almost extinct option in Hawaii. One cannot obtain a better lodging is Lahaina. Kaanapali is great for the resort oriented, but Lahaina is where the action and entertainment is to be found. Definitely choose the Pioneer Inn!

1 Thank jeff k
We just want to thank you again for choosing to stay at our historic inn. We hope you visit again soon.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My Husband and I are so glad that we stayed a few nights at this hotel...it was charming, right in the middle of everything, not expensive and the beds were the most comfortable on the trip!!! We went to the "high rise" hotels for a few nights as well, but this gave us such a different vibe - staying in Lahaina (pronounced La - Hi - Na).
I highly recommending it, but if you have kids, you might want to get another room or the larger room :)
Oh, and the restaurant breakfast is wonderful!!!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking Banyan Park are great because you can see the ocean and the mountains. Since...
1 Thank Kim S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Maui Coast Hotel
Maui Coast Hotel
#1 of 3 in Kihei
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali

Been to Best Western Pioneer Inn? Share your experiences!