“Nice Historic Place to Stay”

Best Western Pioneer Inn
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Indy
“Nice Historic Place to Stay”
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and really enjoyed it. You have to understand going in that it's an old building, but full of charm. There is no parking, so they give you a pass for a public parking lot, not really a problem, you can drop your bags off then go and park. Check in was easy and the staff on reception were friendly. We stayed in room 29 which overlooks the banyan tree, the rooms are pretty basic, but clean and the bed was pretty comfy! You will get to know your neighbors if you are all sitting on the balcony, which was sort of fun, everyone was very chatty while sitting having coffee or a cocktail.

We stayed over a weekend, and yes the music is loud, unfortunately the hotel has absolutely no control over it, the bar is across the street. The air conditioner was pretty loud, so if you put it on it will drown out the music! Not ideal, but it worked fine - and trust me, I'm one of those peeps that doesn't like to be near the elevator or ice machine at a hotel!!

I did spend some time by the pool - it was quiet, sat and read my book in peace, it's not somewhere you would go to for the pool, so maybe that is why it was so quiet, but a nice place to relax for a while at the end of the day.

We did eat breakfast at the restaurant - loved the macadamia pancakes, and it was fun to sit and watch all the activity at the pier.

Overall I was "pleasantly surprised" the location cannot be beat if you want to stay "in the heart" of downtown, and being able to sit and listen to the birds in the banyan tree, in my PJ's was a treat!

Room Tip: Overlook the banyan tree - a lovely place to sit and watch the world go by!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IndyKaren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
illinois
Reviewed May 2, 2012

On our anniversery trip we stayed first in a condo with another couple. Nice but kind of isolated. Our last 4 nites were just us at the Pioneer. Beautiful old place and every day or nite you could sit and stare at the ocean, the Banyan tree or the parade of people on Front St. Not fancy and not an isolated resort but everything was a walk away. You really did not have to walk as the bar has a 4 hour happy hour and sometimes a band where by 7 pm people were dancing in the street. In 2 minutes you could be on a boat at the pier. Front desk people were great especially when they found and returned my wife's lost purse. Great place when you are done with quiet isolation.

Room Tip: half way between front street and harbor
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I ended up getting of a cruise ship and staying the remainder of my holidays here.. It was convenient being right in town, but I was a little worried at first being that my room was so close. My room faced the banyan tree and was right on the street. It wasn't noisy at all though, pretty quiet. If you're staying for a couple nights (I stayed about three nights) then it's worth the stay. We would have breakfast at the hotel restaurant in the mornings and the staff was really helpful and great as well. :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
hulagirl1, Owner at Best Western Pioneer Inn, responded to this review, May 4, 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed our historic inn and the 175 year old Banyan tree.
Please visit again.

Jim Lennon
Calgary
Reviewed April 30, 2012

The room was OK but the management and staff that run the hotel are a bunch of LIARS. We arrived before check-in, I talked to the lady at the front desk and she said we could check our bags and that she would give us a parking pass. We checked our bags and she gave us a parking pass for the 17th to the 20th, the dates that we were staying at the hotel. She said if the lot was full to come back and she'd give us another pass for a different lot. It was full, we came back and tried to give her back the first parking pass she gave us and she said to keep it because we were staying a few nights and gave us another pass for a different lot. We eventually checked in and spent the first night there. We were out all day the next day and came back around 5pm, we walked past the reception area and the lady at the front says "we were so worried about you folks, check out was at 11". We said we were there for 3 nights and even showed her a copy of our reservation that my husband happened to have on him. She still claimed that we were only scheduled for 1 night and that's what her computer said. I even called her on it as both parking pass that she wrote out for us said in big black writing the 17-20th and even reminded her that I tried to give one pass back to her and she said to hold onto it cause we were here for multiple nights....They had packed up all of our stuff!! They happened to have another room that we could stay in, that was a smoking room which we had purposely not booked and that faced Front street, not ideal when you have a 6 month old baby....My husband went with a staff member to get our bags from the secured area and they just let him walk in there and take what ever bags hs wanted. When the bags got to our room we eneded up with another ladys purse!! I had breast milk in the mini fridge, that they had apparantly put in the fridge of the restraunt, when she went to get it it, it was not there!! She said she would track it down and call the new room when it was located. When I got to the new room it was in the mini fridge...hmmm...but we were suppose to be checking out that day why would the milk be in this new room ahead of us arriving back at the hotel when were suppsositivly not staying another night...So we are now in this new room and they don't try and charge us for extra nights or anything when we had apparantly only paid for 1 night...Something was not right!! I would have a lot more respect for them if they had just fessed up and said that they had screwed up it's the LYING that is totally unacceptable!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank Amber A
Amber
I would be happy to talk to you about what we might do to make amends for your recent stay at our hotel. I do want to let you know that partially because of your experience we have begun converting all of our guest rooms to smoke free. We hope to complete the process by the end of summer 2012.
Please call my direct line (807)264-2597
Becky Lennon
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was initially nervous about staying in a historic hotel- I've had questionable luck on the East coast with similar-type properties. I was pleasantly surprised by the Pioneer Inn. Although all rooms are on the second floor and there is no elevators the rooms were large enough for two and the beds were Very comfortable. The room's lanai overlooked Front street, so if you're noise sensitive and don't run the A/C I'd suggest earplugs, but we had no problem on our Monday/Tuesday night stay. Weekends may be noisier as Front street is the main drag in Lahaina. I look forward to staying again!

Room Tip: Next time I'll ask for a room facing the Banyan tree or the Harbor for better view. People watch...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Trujillo, Peru
Reviewed April 23, 2012

great hostel no more conection to the city,nice place to be and be far to the noice,necei service personel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
We are glad you enjoyed our historic inn and found it a relaxing change.

Jim Lennon
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I really enjoyed 2 nights at the end of my trip here at the Pioneer Inn. It is a historic building so you should know that going in; just 2 stories and no fancy elevators and such. Yes, the floors were a bit creaky, but the furnishings had a nice, historic touch and so it felt like you were transported back in time a bit. I really loved the feel of being in a historic place and it was nice to be right there in the middle of Lahaina Town and not have to worry about driving home. You could easily roll out of bed and right down to the harbor for any sunrise boat trips as well. Really, I would love to come back. The balconies didn't really have much privacy (OK, well really, there's no privacy whatsoever), which is unusual, but whatever. Just know that ahead of time and you should be fine. My room overlooked the courtyard so no noise problems that some have complained of from Front Street, but I've been down on Front Street at night and in my opinion, it's not THAT noisy at night anyway. I've been in places with some severe noise problems and Lahaina is not one of them. As always, it's all about perspective and what kinds of experiences you've had and what your expectations are going in. If you're looking for resort-beach-Maui experience then go to Ka'anapali. If you want to experience the convenience of being in Lahaina Town and a unique flavor to a hotel, then spend a few nights here. A nice additional touch were the locking screen doors (in addition to a solid door) leading out to the lanai so you could leave it open at night. I happen to crave the ambient sounds at night and that might be why I didn't perceive any noise problems. I'll surely be back to this hotel again; I really liked my stay here a lot!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank toastytravels
hulagirl1, Owner at Best Western Pioneer Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you for visiting and choosing our hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Montage Kapalua Bay
Montage Kapalua Bay
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston Mahana at Kaanapali

Been to Best Western Pioneer Inn? Share your experiences!