“Great little place to stay..”

Best Western Pioneer Inn
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I ended up getting of a cruise ship and staying the remainder of my holidays here.. It was convenient being right in town, but I was a little worried at first being that my room was so close. My room faced the banyan tree and was right on the street. It wasn't noisy at all though, pretty quiet. If you're staying for a couple nights (I stayed about three nights) then it's worth the stay. We would have breakfast at the hotel restaurant in the mornings and the staff was really helpful and great as well. :)

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
hulagirl1, Owner at Best Western Pioneer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed our historic inn and the 175 year old Banyan tree.
Please visit again.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

The room was OK but the management and staff that run the hotel are a bunch of LIARS. We arrived before check-in, I talked to the lady at the front desk and she said we could check our bags and that she would give us a parking pass. We checked our bags and she gave us a parking pass for the 17th to the 20th, the dates that we were staying at the hotel. She said if the lot was full to come back and she'd give us another pass for a different lot. It was full, we came back and tried to give her back the first parking pass she gave us and she said to keep it because we were staying a few nights and gave us another pass for a different lot. We eventually checked in and spent the first night there. We were out all day the next day and came back around 5pm, we walked past the reception area and the lady at the front says "we were so worried about you folks, check out was at 11". We said we were there for 3 nights and even showed her a copy of our reservation that my husband happened to have on him. She still claimed that we were only scheduled for 1 night and that's what her computer said. I even called her on it as both parking pass that she wrote out for us said in big black writing the 17-20th and even reminded her that I tried to give one pass back to her and she said to hold onto it cause we were here for multiple nights....They had packed up all of our stuff!! They happened to have another room that we could stay in, that was a smoking room which we had purposely not booked and that faced Front street, not ideal when you have a 6 month old baby....My husband went with a staff member to get our bags from the secured area and they just let him walk in there and take what ever bags hs wanted. When the bags got to our room we eneded up with another ladys purse!! I had breast milk in the mini fridge, that they had apparantly put in the fridge of the restraunt, when she went to get it it, it was not there!! She said she would track it down and call the new room when it was located. When I got to the new room it was in the mini fridge...hmmm...but we were suppose to be checking out that day why would the milk be in this new room ahead of us arriving back at the hotel when were suppsositivly not staying another night...So we are now in this new room and they don't try and charge us for extra nights or anything when we had apparantly only paid for 1 night...Something was not right!! I would have a lot more respect for them if they had just fessed up and said that they had screwed up it's the LYING that is totally unacceptable!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank Amber A

Amber
I would be happy to talk to you about what we might do to make amends for your recent stay at our hotel. I do want to let you know that partially because of your experience we have begun converting all of our guest rooms to smoke free. We hope to complete the process by the end of summer 2012.
Please call my direct line (807)264-2597
Becky Lennon

Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was initially nervous about staying in a historic hotel- I've had questionable luck on the East coast with similar-type properties. I was pleasantly surprised by the Pioneer Inn. Although all rooms are on the second floor and there is no elevators the rooms were large enough for two and the beds were Very comfortable. The room's lanai overlooked Front street, so if you're noise sensitive and don't run the A/C I'd suggest earplugs, but we had no problem on our Monday/Tuesday night stay. Weekends may be noisier as Front street is the main drag in Lahaina. I look forward to staying again!

Room Tip: Next time I'll ask for a room facing the Banyan tree or the Harbor for better view. People watch...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 23, 2012

great hostel no more conection to the city,nice place to be and be far to the noice,necei service personel

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

We are glad you enjoyed our historic inn and found it a relaxing change.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I really enjoyed 2 nights at the end of my trip here at the Pioneer Inn. It is a historic building so you should know that going in; just 2 stories and no fancy elevators and such. Yes, the floors were a bit creaky, but the furnishings had a nice, historic touch and so it felt like you were transported back in time a bit. I really loved the feel of being in a historic place and it was nice to be right there in the middle of Lahaina Town and not have to worry about driving home. You could easily roll out of bed and right down to the harbor for any sunrise boat trips as well. Really, I would love to come back. The balconies didn't really have much privacy (OK, well really, there's no privacy whatsoever), which is unusual, but whatever. Just know that ahead of time and you should be fine. My room overlooked the courtyard so no noise problems that some have complained of from Front Street, but I've been down on Front Street at night and in my opinion, it's not THAT noisy at night anyway. I've been in places with some severe noise problems and Lahaina is not one of them. As always, it's all about perspective and what kinds of experiences you've had and what your expectations are going in. If you're looking for resort-beach-Maui experience then go to Ka'anapali. If you want to experience the convenience of being in Lahaina Town and a unique flavor to a hotel, then spend a few nights here. A nice additional touch were the locking screen doors (in addition to a solid door) leading out to the lanai so you could leave it open at night. I happen to crave the ambient sounds at night and that might be why I didn't perceive any noise problems. I'll surely be back to this hotel again; I really liked my stay here a lot!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank toastytravels
hulagirl1, Owner at Best Western Pioneer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Thank you for visiting and choosing our hotel

Reviewed April 3, 2012

We spent one night at the Pioneer Inn and loved the location. It is smack dab in the middle of town. Our room had balcony facing the banyan tree. It was amazing to wat. The thousands of birds flock to the tree at sunset. The downside was we could hear the live music from the various bars until they closed at 2 AM. Family in a room farther from Front street did not hear the music. The room was ver small and old, which we expected. It was clean and bed was comfortable. It was fun to be able to walk anywhere downtown from this location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from Front street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank crisseast

Thank you for your recent stay with us and constructive comments. We hope to see you again

Reviewed March 24, 2012

If anyplace in Lahaina has Location nailed it is the Pioneer Inn. It IS the center of everything. We had a double room with big Lanai facing the Banyan Tree with a view of the Harbor. We enjoyed this spot for the last two nights of our stay on Maui. Many others apparently do the same thing at the beginning or end they tack on a few days here for the traditional experience. The room is what you would expect of a Best Western. It is OK. The hotel has a small pool set in a garden courtyard which is a great place for cooling off at the end of the day. the lanai is a great place for a cocktail and watching the thousands of Mina birds come to roost in the Banyan Tree. The room has a small fridge and free wifi and there is an ice machine. There is an OK bar and grill attached to the hotel but the best burgers in town is across Front street at the Crazy Cat.

This is a great value for those on a limited budget and a neat experience for those who want to spend a few days in historical Lahaina.

Room Tip: Rooms 17, 19, 21 and 23 all seem to be good in that they sit across from the Banyan tree and also ha...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Best Western Pioneer Inn? Share your experiences!