“Maui Sport Fishing A+”

Start Me Up, Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop Wishin' and Go Fishin'! Join us aboard one of Start Me Up Sport Fishing's 42-ft. custom sportfishers and have a hand at catching the fish of a lifetime. We provide all of the equipment you need while out on the azure blue waters of Maui - bait and tackle, ice chests, Coast Guard licensed and certified captains and deckhands with decades of experience fishing Hawaiian waters. The only things you need to bring are sunscreen, beverages (no glass bottles) and a few snacks. We offer a variety of Maui fishing trips including 2,4,6,8 and 9-hour trips. Call us today to book your Maui fishing adventure!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Just back from Maui. I went out on ACTION with Captains Patrick (Didn't catch last name) and Steve Lambert. ACTION is one of the boats at Start Me Up Sport Fishing. The guys were professional, the boat was well prepared, and we fished hard. They had live bait on board and all we needed to do was gas up and head out. We were fishing by first light and had two fish on in a matter of minutes. In total we landed twenty two Mahi Mahi while other boats were coming in with one or two fish! I had a great time and was sore for days after battling all of those fish! Great job guys, I'll be back!!! Tom Oates Grass Valley, CA

Reviewed August 30, 2009

We thought it would be fun time to check out the deep waters beyond the harbor and try our hand at fishing. The crew spent some time explaining the fishing process, and also put emphasis on the challenges of catching pelagic fish. I asked if the other charters that week had caught anything and the crew mate just shook his head no. It was a lovely boat ride, but not one person on our boat even touched a pole all day.

Additionally, we were on a split charter with a bunch of men who proceeded to get sloppy drunk throughout the long, hot boat ride.

We had considered not doing this trip, but though it would be so much fun to catch a fish in Maui. So much for that idea.

I realize that people MUST catch fish at some point, but really, it was extremely boring and we were left with empty wallets (expensive!) and couldn't wait to get off the boat. We wished we could have gotten our money back, but of course, you can't. We spent $500.00 for a long boat ride.

If you're on the fence about doing it- SKIP it. Spend your money elsewhere! By the way.. Warren and Annabelles Magic Show was well worth the money!

4  Thank lovemauitraveller
Reviewed August 3, 2009

My son and husband have gone on 3 charters with Captain Patrick and his crew and always have a wonderful time. This last charter they caught 32 Mahi-Mahi and had an absolute blast. You can't always get lucky when fishing, but Captain Patrick will do his absolute best to give you the chance to catch a fish. I would recommend going out with Captain Patrick and his crew and my son is already bugging me about going out again!!

Reviewed August 1, 2009

I researched long and hard for charter boats in Maui, hoping I could find the right boat to put me on the fish. If you are reading this review, your probably doing the same thing. With the help of Capt Mike at fishmaui.com, I narrowed it down to two that fit my style. I ultimately chose the "Action" under Start Me Up fishing and it was the best fishing decision I have ever made.

First of all, if you have ever fished, you know that Salt water fishing is God's Casino and there is no garuntee that any boat, rod, or reel is going to hook up to any fish. Now with that in mind, Capt Patrick gets out and catches LIVE BAIT at MIDNIGHT while you are still sleeping away dreaming of your fishing day to come because he wants to increase YOUR odds of hooking that fish of a lifetime. At 3am when I showed up Capt Patrick was ready to roll with over 30 live fish. Most people go out fishing with buddies and catch 5 fish in three hours if they are luckly! He greeted us very kindly and cordial and gave us a great overview of the day to come, and made it clear that we were going to fish harder and faster than any other boat in the harbor, and that we were one of the only boats leaving at 330am in order to go out futher than all the other boats. We headed out to the bouy and literally within a minute of getting the lines in the water we had a fish on. Over the next two hours we caught 31 Mahi-Mahi and battled some ono and shark. Not a moment passed without someone holding a rod. There was another charter at the same bouy, that is known for leaving early too, and the entire time I was reeling fish in I would look up and see them doing nothing, AT THE SAME FISHING SPOT. Big difference was we had that live bait that Patrick put in the extra effort to get for us.

Eventually some Dolphins came and killed the spot, but by then we all needed a well deserved break, so we hooked up some larger tackle and went looking for that big game fish. It wasn't 7am yet, and we had 31 fish and were trolling for 1 thing, Marlin. Most boats have to try so hard to get you that fishing experience that they get limited time to hunt the more rare Marlin. We did it for 5 hours. During that time Capt Patrick and the deckhand taught us about the tackle we were using, bait rigging methods, fish habits and the list goes on. I feel like a smarter and more experienced angler from my trip on this boat.

Bottom line, in this industry you have to set yourself apart from the rest. There are 30 other boats going out the same day as you around Hawaii trying to give tourists a good time. CAPT Patrick goes the extra mile to seperate his boat from the rest by getting the bait, leaving early, and staying out an extra hour (9 hours not 8) and this was clearly evident on my trip. Any other boat that arrived at that bouy any later in the day would have hit a dry spot. And best of all, when we finished the day, they filletted up some mahi-mahi and gave all of us as much as we wanted!

If you are headed to Maui, and want the BEST CHANCE to have the fishing trip of a lifetime, I highly recommend the ACTION!

3  Thank chrisjcarter
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We were in Maui for a 4 week vacation in February 2009. We went down to the docks in Lahaina to investigate the various sportfishing options and found that the "Start Me Up" was the only vender displaying many freshly caught tuna. Since we love seared tuna, we decided to book with "Start Me Up". I called on 2/24/2009 to book a trip for 2/27 and was told that there was a 48 hour cancellation policy, but I was not advised that I would have to pay for any fish I caught as noted by other reviewers.
The next morning [2/25] my companion awoke with eye pain and blurred vision. Less than 24 hours since I booked and 44 hours prior to the scheduled trip [ 4 hours short of the 48 hour cancellation policy], I called the "Start Me Up" office to ask if we could postpone the trip until we could secure an eye examination to determine if the ocular complaints were of a serious nature. The response was a lecture that we were jeopardizing the fishing trip of others who were also booked on the boat. As a result, I agreed to call the office later in the day after the eye examination. Fortunately, the eye complaints were not vision threatening and I advised the office that we would keep the booking for 2/27. I called the office the next morning [2/26] since the news indicated small craft warnings for the next several days and it was very windy. I was told that the boats had gone out that morning and were expected to embark on 2/27 also. We decided to go down to the docks on 2/26 to inquire about the success of the returning boats. The crew said the weather and fishing were horrible and that if we were planning to go the next day [2/27] we should "bring a snorkle". The person at the dock desk suggested that we postpone the trip until the following week when the weather was predicted to improve. He called the office and was able to change the trip to 3/3/09. I was very surprised at the ease of postponing the trip since I was given the previous lecture about postponong and cancellation. I then paid for the trip.
The evening of 2/26 we received a call from home to advise us of a family medical emergency and we had to arrange for a return to the mainland on the evening of 2/27/2009. The morning of 2/27 I went down to the dock and cancelled the 3/3 trip [less than 24 hours since I paid and more than 48 hours until the scheduled trip]. I was told that my credit card would be credited for the cost of the trip.
When I did not receive the refund, I called the office several times and left messages with no response. I then disputed the charges with my credit card company who eventually ruled in favor of "Start Me Up" since they were told by "Start Me Up" that I was advised that if I cancelled at any time after changing the trip to 3/3/09, I would not receive a refund. This was false. I could have kept my original reservation for 2/27 morning but was allowed to change to 3/3 without penalty or additional lectures.

Beware of "Start Me Up" business practices!

5  Thank mich3046