“Beware”

Start Me Up, Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop Wishin' and Go Fishin'! Join us aboard one of Start Me Up Sport Fishing's 42-ft. custom sportfishers and have a hand at catching the fish of a lifetime. We provide all of the equipment you need while out on the azure blue waters of Maui - bait and tackle, ice chests, Coast Guard licensed and certified captains and deckhands with decades of experience fishing Hawaiian waters. The only things you need to bring are sunscreen, beverages (no glass bottles) and a few snacks. We offer a variety of Maui fishing trips including 2,4,6,8 and 9-hour trips. Call us today to book your Maui fishing adventure!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We were in Maui for a 4 week vacation in February 2009. We went down to the docks in Lahaina to investigate the various sportfishing options and found that the "Start Me Up" was the only vender displaying many freshly caught tuna. Since we love seared tuna, we decided to book with "Start Me Up". I called on 2/24/2009 to book a trip for 2/27 and was told that there was a 48 hour cancellation policy, but I was not advised that I would have to pay for any fish I caught as noted by other reviewers.
The next morning [2/25] my companion awoke with eye pain and blurred vision. Less than 24 hours since I booked and 44 hours prior to the scheduled trip [ 4 hours short of the 48 hour cancellation policy], I called the "Start Me Up" office to ask if we could postpone the trip until we could secure an eye examination to determine if the ocular complaints were of a serious nature. The response was a lecture that we were jeopardizing the fishing trip of others who were also booked on the boat. As a result, I agreed to call the office later in the day after the eye examination. Fortunately, the eye complaints were not vision threatening and I advised the office that we would keep the booking for 2/27. I called the office the next morning [2/26] since the news indicated small craft warnings for the next several days and it was very windy. I was told that the boats had gone out that morning and were expected to embark on 2/27 also. We decided to go down to the docks on 2/26 to inquire about the success of the returning boats. The crew said the weather and fishing were horrible and that if we were planning to go the next day [2/27] we should "bring a snorkle". The person at the dock desk suggested that we postpone the trip until the following week when the weather was predicted to improve. He called the office and was able to change the trip to 3/3/09. I was very surprised at the ease of postponing the trip since I was given the previous lecture about postponong and cancellation. I then paid for the trip.
The evening of 2/26 we received a call from home to advise us of a family medical emergency and we had to arrange for a return to the mainland on the evening of 2/27/2009. The morning of 2/27 I went down to the dock and cancelled the 3/3 trip [less than 24 hours since I paid and more than 48 hours until the scheduled trip]. I was told that my credit card would be credited for the cost of the trip.
When I did not receive the refund, I called the office several times and left messages with no response. I then disputed the charges with my credit card company who eventually ruled in favor of "Start Me Up" since they were told by "Start Me Up" that I was advised that if I cancelled at any time after changing the trip to 3/3/09, I would not receive a refund. This was false. I could have kept my original reservation for 2/27 morning but was allowed to change to 3/3 without penalty or additional lectures.

Beware of "Start Me Up" business practices!

5  Thank mich3046

Reviewed July 25, 2009

This was a make -a -wish fishing trip for my son. He was super excited to live his wish. It was all he wanted to do in Maui, fish. And this is from a young man who could have wished for anything in the world!

Captain Tim and Ed were friendly, but this was the biggest disappointment of the whole trip. No bites. Just a fishing trip where you don't even touch a rod or reel. Just sit there while nothing happens. No fish at all.

This was the first time I'd ever been skunked on a charter, (done about six of them), and it couldn't have come at a worst time. Son was very disappointed that we had a chance at NOTHING.

I know fishing can be hit and miss, but for hundreds of dollars they should be able to put you on something. I felt like we wasted our day.

4  Thank howaboutbob
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I never even touched a reel. I can't believe I spent this much money and we did't even get close to catching anything. On a positive note the crew was very nice.

4  Thank wise1Mo
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Just got back from Maui Hawaii after being recommended to go on Action by Capt Mike from www.fishmaui.com.
I've been sport and game fishing all over the world from all over Australia to Vanuatu to Cuba even.
But going out with Capt Patrick and Capt Steve was hands down THE BEST fishing charter I've ever been on. These guys fish really hard and when they say they are more upset when they lose a fish, they aren't joking.
Whilst all the other boats were hiding behind the islands for comfort, we were out at the buoy where it was rough but where the big fish were plenty. I managed to get myself a blue marlin and yellowfin tuna on the 2 days I went out. In the 5 days I was in Maui, Action caught 7 Marlin and plenty of big yellowfin (the biggest being 200lb!).
So if you ever fish in Maui you need to go out with these guys!!!

4  Thank mg1972
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I just want to comment that, although I have read the reviews where the people wrote that you have to pay to keep your own fish; this is true enough, but the crew makes it clear up front about this, not after the fish are caught. But to get to the point of the review; we booked a private 4 hour charter with StartMeUp for our son as part of his graduation trip. Captain Timster and his deck hand, Ed Nevrivy, did an excellent job, showed great concern in working with our entire family, (2 younger kids on board for the trip), explained what we were going to do and how to do it all. I have fished most of my life, but never for fish this size nor on big water.

Captain Tim and his deck hand discussed where the fish had been biting and we worked that area for Mahi and Ono, but no luck. Ed kept saying, "I've got a Blue feeling" and so Captain Timster said lets give them a shot. He then had Ed change some of the baits and within a half hour of doing so, our son was hooked up to a big blue. Taking all the advice and assistance from Timster and Ed, our son fought the marlin for 1.5 hours and finally got it landed in the boat. It was 592.4 lbs.

I feel that we got excellent treatment and as a bonus, although I did not know at the time, if we caught a fish over 500, the trip was free!! So not only did our son catch a great Pacific Blue Marlin, but we got the trip for free and got to be around a first rate crew!!

3  Thank longrangehunter