“Nothing but a boatride”

Start Me Up, Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop Wishin' and Go Fishin'! Join us aboard one of Start Me Up Sport Fishing's 42-ft. custom sportfishers and have a hand at catching the fish of a lifetime. We provide all of the equipment you need while out on the azure blue waters of Maui - bait and tackle, ice chests, Coast Guard licensed and certified captains and deckhands with decades of experience fishing Hawaiian waters. The only things you need to bring are sunscreen, beverages (no glass bottles) and a few snacks. We offer a variety of Maui fishing trips including 2,4,6,8 and 9-hour trips. Call us today to book your Maui fishing adventure!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 25, 2009

This was a make -a -wish fishing trip for my son. He was super excited to live his wish. It was all he wanted to do in Maui, fish. And this is from a young man who could have wished for anything in the world!

Captain Tim and Ed were friendly, but this was the biggest disappointment of the whole trip. No bites. Just a fishing trip where you don't even touch a rod or reel. Just sit there while nothing happens. No fish at all.

This was the first time I'd ever been skunked on a charter, (done about six of them), and it couldn't have come at a worst time. Son was very disappointed that we had a chance at NOTHING.

I know fishing can be hit and miss, but for hundreds of dollars they should be able to put you on something. I felt like we wasted our day.

4  Thank howaboutbob

Reviewed July 23, 2009

I never even touched a reel. I can't believe I spent this much money and we did't even get close to catching anything. On a positive note the crew was very nice.

4  Thank wise1Mo
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Just got back from Maui Hawaii after being recommended to go on Action by Capt Mike from www.fishmaui.com.
I've been sport and game fishing all over the world from all over Australia to Vanuatu to Cuba even.
But going out with Capt Patrick and Capt Steve was hands down THE BEST fishing charter I've ever been on. These guys fish really hard and when they say they are more upset when they lose a fish, they aren't joking.
Whilst all the other boats were hiding behind the islands for comfort, we were out at the buoy where it was rough but where the big fish were plenty. I managed to get myself a blue marlin and yellowfin tuna on the 2 days I went out. In the 5 days I was in Maui, Action caught 7 Marlin and plenty of big yellowfin (the biggest being 200lb!).
So if you ever fish in Maui you need to go out with these guys!!!

4  Thank mg1972
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I just want to comment that, although I have read the reviews where the people wrote that you have to pay to keep your own fish; this is true enough, but the crew makes it clear up front about this, not after the fish are caught. But to get to the point of the review; we booked a private 4 hour charter with StartMeUp for our son as part of his graduation trip. Captain Timster and his deck hand, Ed Nevrivy, did an excellent job, showed great concern in working with our entire family, (2 younger kids on board for the trip), explained what we were going to do and how to do it all. I have fished most of my life, but never for fish this size nor on big water.

Captain Tim and his deck hand discussed where the fish had been biting and we worked that area for Mahi and Ono, but no luck. Ed kept saying, "I've got a Blue feeling" and so Captain Timster said lets give them a shot. He then had Ed change some of the baits and within a half hour of doing so, our son was hooked up to a big blue. Taking all the advice and assistance from Timster and Ed, our son fought the marlin for 1.5 hours and finally got it landed in the boat. It was 592.4 lbs.

I feel that we got excellent treatment and as a bonus, although I did not know at the time, if we caught a fish over 500, the trip was free!! So not only did our son catch a great Pacific Blue Marlin, but we got the trip for free and got to be around a first rate crew!!

3  Thank longrangehunter
Reviewed May 18, 2009

We were referred by "Captain Mike" (fishmaui.com) to this fishing charter. We were horribly disappointed.

My husband and I went on the 6-hour morning trip from Lahaina. While I understand that the fishermen can't control whether or not the fish bite, they certainly did not make this an enjoyable experience for us. (Our boat not only didn't catch fish, but we didn't get a single bite)

Grievances:
*Both men leading the expedition (Randy and another man) smoked a LOT during the trip. It didn't bother me when the wind sent the smoke away from me, but when it was in my face, I had a major problem with it. I politely asked one man to smoke away from me, and he told me I could go to the downstairs area if I needed to be away from the smoke. Unfortunately, the other man was smoking on that level of the boat. All in all, I counted 9 cigarettes smoked by one man. Not pleasant for those of us who avoid second-hand smoke.
*I felt the $85 charge to simply be a boat "rider" was excessive. I probably wouldn't be complaining about this if my husband had a decent time --which he didn't.
*My husband, an experienced fisherman, was baffled why they refused to use live bait. When he asked, their response was that it was "too much work" to hunt for the live bait. Are you kidding me?!?
*We were disappointed with the fisherman's refusal to try other areas. They circled the area around Lanai twice, and brought us back. We heard other boats (on the radio) were catching fish and getting bites. When we mentioned that maybe we should go to those areas, the captain turned down the radio so we couldn't hear it anymore. Too bizarre.
*My husband and I felt ripped off when the $300 "fishing" trip turned into a $300 boat ride. We brought our own food, but for this price, we could have taken a romantic dinner cruise complete with food and without smoke!

7  Thank coloradoamanda