“The best day of fishing. Ever.”

Start Me Up, Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop Wishin' and Go Fishin'! Join us aboard one of Start Me Up Sport Fishing's 42-ft. custom sportfishers and have a hand at catching the fish of a lifetime. We provide all of the equipment you need while out on the azure blue waters of Maui - bait and tackle, ice chests, Coast Guard licensed and certified captains and deckhands with decades of experience fishing Hawaiian waters. The only things you need to bring are sunscreen, beverages (no glass bottles) and a few snacks. We offer a variety of Maui fishing trips including 2,4,6,8 and 9-hour trips. Call us today to book your Maui fishing adventure!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was my sixth charter in Hawaii and my wife's second. We have both done many trips in Canada and Washington, both guided and not, and this was the most intense trip either of us had been on. We did the 9 hour trip to get us on the water for the most opportunity to cover the ocean. Captain Jason and the deckhand Rob made us comfortable as we settled in for the 2 hour trip out to the buoy where we would start. They had fresh bait and we had three hook ups within the first 15 minutes and landed two. I missed one at the boat... Bigeye and one yellowfin at 26 lbs. We continued to land fish at a pretty intense pace and the captain released all the small ones to help continue the fishery. Very responsible of the great resource. When the bite slowed they quickly changed to lures and my wife and I had a double within two minutes. Landed that and then landed a triple with Rob getting the third.
Started the troll back and didn't get any action but we had already landed 18 tuna and brought 8 back to the dock. On the way back in we got to talk with Captain Jason and Rob while looking back at the lures. Great guys, friendly and knowledgable. At the dock the filleted one of the smaller fish as it was only the two of us eating. Sashimi tonight and seared tuna tomorrow for lunch.
Downsides: a bit rough. It is the biggest ocean after all. Fumes from the engine, well you need the engines to get you there and at a slow troll you smell them. It's the price you pay for the experience. I probably would not be writing this if we had gotten skunked, but we still would have been very happy at the end of the day. It's called fishing, not catching for a reason, and experienced fisher folk understand that. Hit them up when you are in Maui. Get up early and take your Dramamine, and enjoy!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

What a great day! We chartered this boat with Captain Tim and Chris, for 6 hours. My youngest son loves fishing and wanted to catch a big fish. The guys did not disappoint. The weather was awesome, the boat well equipped and rigged with enough lines to keep the kids interested. The buzz of the line as the fish strikes jolted the kids and Chris into action. To watch the 3 boys aged 7, 9 and 11 and their dad on the same rod helping each other was great. They watched the dolphin fish jump, flashes of colour, excited squeals and screams..They worked hard and pulled 4 fish in over a 1 hr period then we watched whales and enjoyed the sun and water lapping the side of the boat. Each fish the boys caught was as tall as them..A life experience and one they will tell for a long time..These fish didn't get away, and eating them the next few nights were some of our best meals in Hawaii. Thankyou guys for a great day..

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We did the 6 hr trip and it takes 2 hrs to get to the spot where you fish. You can sleep until you get there considering you leave at 2:30am it is nice but, the waves were a bit rough so I was so scared and it was dark outside so you can't really see anything just feel the boat bouncing all over the place. Finally you get there at the sun is not even up yet and you have to stand at the edge of the boat and balance and try not to fall overboard and reel in a fish. They bait the hooks and through the lines in for you all you havre to is reel them in when they call your number. There were 6 of us that day a full boad. I caught a 13 lb Mahi Miahi and some Ahi's. It was so exciting and the adreneline just flows on high the whole time either from the waves or the fish. A guy on our boat actually caiught a Marlan so our trip was a bit longer because it took a while to reel him in. When you get back to the dock you can pick which fish you want to have fileted into steaks. We had a bit of both of the ones we caught. They cut, clean and pack them up for you. It was a once in a lifetime thing for me and one I will soon not forget. If you get motion sickenss stay on the land even with Dramamine stay on the land if you get any seasickness. Otherwise it's well worth the price of $189 per person. I didnot sign up to fish so my cost was only half that but, I got to fish anyways these guys are experts and know where and when and what fish are biting at any time of the day. They are very profiessional and know what they are doing.

1  Thank MrMouser
Reviewed May 18, 2013

On May 5, 2013 my family and I took a 4 hour trip with captain Steve Carroll and deckhand Johnny. We couldn't have had a better experience for our kids 7 and 10. We didn't have any bites trolling, but we didn't go far and began bottom fishing. The action was quick and steady. We pulled in six different species of fish and the kids were always wondering what we might catch next. We caught mostly trigger fish and everyone enjoyed eyeing the water to try and identify the fish. Brown were trigger fish and blue were the eaters. We kept Kumu, Opaka, and Nabeta for the dinner table and felt like Kings and Queens that night. Many thanks to Steve and Johnny for a perfect morning trip. I can't wait to try an all day trolling trip!

1  Thank Daylen C
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I took one of these trips on May 9 2013 and had a great time. They only have 4 customers on the boat so you get all the help you would ever want. We all caught at least 2 fish each. I think there was 12 on the day. I caught one that was 69 Inch Short Bill Spear fish, most of the others were smaller Tuna and one nice Mahi Mahi.