“Great day”

Start Me Up, Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop Wishin' and Go Fishin'! Join us aboard one of Start Me Up Sport Fishing's 42-ft. custom sportfishers and have a hand at catching the fish of a lifetime. We provide all of the equipment you need while out on the azure blue waters of Maui - bait and tackle, ice chests, Coast Guard licensed and certified captains and deckhands with decades of experience fishing Hawaiian waters. The only things you need to bring are sunscreen, beverages (no glass bottles) and a few snacks. We offer a variety of Maui fishing trips including 2,4,6,8 and 9-hour trips. Call us today to book your Maui fishing adventure!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I took one of these trips on May 9 2013 and had a great time. They only have 4 customers on the boat so you get all the help you would ever want. We all caught at least 2 fish each. I think there was 12 on the day. I caught one that was 69 Inch Short Bill Spear fish, most of the others were smaller Tuna and one nice Mahi Mahi.

All reviews
in 96 reviews
"mate"
in 57 reviews

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I will begin with the positive that needs to be said. Our deckhand Ross was very experienced and worked hard. He was constantly changing lures and positions. He did all he could with what he was given. That being said-I ended the 8 hour fishing trip with disappointment. I have fished deep sea many times so I understand the big possibility of finding no fish. Our boat only found 2 Ono (Wahoo) all day. The problem was that this young captain trolled over the same water for 6 straight hours. We never even went passed the outer islands. Then when we docked at the end of the day it got even worse. The boat next to us returned with 50 fish. That wasnt the worst part. The man in the kiosk for 'Start Me Up' started bad-mouthing that other boat for their fishing tactics and loose morals on how they fish and what they keep. I am not a fan of businesses that try to advance their customer satisfaction by tearing down others. I will not use this boat again.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We didn't catch any fish or even have a bite. But we did enjoy the crew. They were fun and made us feel comfortable. No fish, but we did see quite a bit of whale activity. It was a nice ride on the water. My husband fished, (trolled) but I think we prefer live bait.
5 Stars for staff (Captain Craig and Johnny).
2 for sucky fishing

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We visited Maui for 16 days in March for the second time. This company was the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. Originally we booked a 4 hour trip then changed to an 8hour trip about three weeks before arrival. When we checked out the booth the day before, the man behind the desk said "Call back at 3:45 I may be able to get you on a 9 hour trip tomorrow, make sure you call me back at 3:45" About a half hour later I received a call from the office saying that we could not change the 4 to an 8 hour even though I had changed it three weeks prior I was assured that the additional charge would not be put on my card. So, we showed up the next day 45 mins early, 4 other men came after us and while we all waited they were called for their trip. My husband continue to wait until around 1230 (boat was supposed to leave at 12) They called back the first boat with 4 men on it and put him on that one. Well, now of course, the other men were agitated along with the crew. The trip was uneventful with fish and the crew, lets just say stayed to themselves with out much interaction with the passengers. They had one fish on and by the time the deck hand tried to get it in the boat it was gone. But of course, at the end of the trip, had their hands out for a tip. My very generous husband tipped each 20.00 much to my dismay. It is my hope that this company will take a look at this review along with others that I have just read, and learn from them. It is a disgrace that they take advantage of the very people who pay their salary. I will be sure to let my friends and family know that if they want to go fishing in Maui, please pick another reputable company that caters to their customers not take the money and run.

6  Thank milrocks
See more reviews
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Absolutely the worst fishing charter I have been on. The only thing my wife and I caught was a real bad headache from the diesel fumes. 9 hour trip, out to the buoy. 1.5 hours just above idle, 2:30AM, till we got past the resorts. The fumes were terrible. Finally got the boat moving and hour later arrived at the buoy. Jurgy and his hand put out 2 rods and then they would pass them to one of the 5 of us to reel in. A little while later first fish on, pass it to one of the guests and he reeled in a Mahi-mahi. Cool looking fish, but it was the last one we saw for the rest of the trip. Captain and crew were telling us how they had to go out the previous night to get bait, which they showed us. and told us how tired they were. No kidding, the rest of the trip they could not have cared less about fishing, put out the riggers and lures and trolled for another six hours. BTW they used 1 live bait. Don't waste your money with Start me up Fishing. There's too many other good things on Maui to see.

5  Thank toolmantwo