“Any day fishing beats...”

Start Me Up, Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop Wishin' and Go Fishin'! Join us aboard one of Start Me Up Sport Fishing's 42-ft. custom sportfishers and have a hand at catching the fish of a lifetime. We provide all of the equipment you need while out on the azure blue waters of Maui - bait and tackle, ice chests, Coast Guard licensed and certified captains and deckhands with decades of experience fishing Hawaiian waters. The only things you need to bring are sunscreen, beverages (no glass bottles) and a few snacks. We offer a variety of Maui fishing trips including 2,4,6,8 and 9-hour trips. Call us today to book your Maui fishing adventure!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 16, 2013

When reviewing a fishing charter one should always remember that it's fishing not catching. I went out on the 8 hour trip and our boat left late due to one of the fishermen and not because of the charter. My captain was Danny and the deckhand was Josh. Both did a fantastic job and although we did not catch fish it wasn't for lack of trying. Josh recommended I try the 9 hour trip, it leaves the dock at 2:30 am.

I booked the trip for Saturday, the captain for this trip was Jason and the deckhand was Johnny, we left the dock on time and we motored 40 miles to a buoy south of Maui. We started fishing before daylight and quickly had 4 tuna on board, they were around 10 – 15lbs. Then the bite slowed down and Johnny told us that we were going to reel up and motor to another buoy about 10 miles west. When we got to the buoy we were the only boat there. Johnny dropped the first line in the water and before it was down 20 feet there was a fish on. While one guy was fighting the fish Johnny dropped another line down and a fish hit immediately. I fought that fish and Johnny dropped another line and another fish, and another line and another fish. The Tuna were biting on everything, the next two hours were frantic as we fought 4 fish at a time, and as soon as one was landed another was on. We ran out of bait and started using pieces and scraps of old bait and when we ran out of that we threw squids in the water. At last we no longer had any room for more fish and had to call it quits.

6 fishermen, 41 tuna, 2 hours and back at the dock at 11:30. The biggest fish was 46 (mine). Would love to upload pics but I don’t see a way to do that. So the rating is all 5’s and not because of the second trip but because they are great people, care about you enjoying your trip, try hard to catch fish and will do anything to make the trip enjoyable.

Fish or no fish, Start Me Up will be my charter of choice and I will recommend them to everyone.

1  Thank Greg N
There are newer reviews for Start Me Up, Sport Fishing

Reviewed January 15, 2013

How to you rate a fishing charter? I think it's a question of did you catch fish, how was the crew & boat, and did you have fun? We had 4 people on board for an early morning 4 hour trip in Feb 2012. One guy caught one decent sized Mahi Mahi and it was landed. I caught another, and got it all the way to the boat, but the crewhand didn't gaff it immediately and it got off as he tried to bring it in - I think it was his fault. That all happened in the first hour. The remaining 3 hours brought some great whale watching, and a pod of dolphins, but not a single other bite. Another charter who returned at the same time had 4 fish, and I wish I had been on that boat instead :) The crew consisted of the captain and a deckhand. Neither was particularly friendly & enthusiastic, but did talk when approached. We were each assigned a rod position and that determined who got to land the fish. The equipment looked good, but they stuck with the same type of bait the whole time. I am also disappointed the deckhand didn't show us more of the Mahi Mahi after it was onboard. I heard from others that they change colors and it's interesting to watch but they didn't talk about it or show us. We had to bring our own food & drink and that seems standard among the boats. Overall, I thought it was OK, but not good enough to want to make me blow another $150-200 to do it again so I give them an Average.

Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

December 11,2012. This was my third time deep sea fishing, and my first time in Maui. The experience was excellent from talking to and signing up with Deli and Johnny at the counter, to Brandon and Brandon ( not brothers) our crew on the boat, who tried and tried to get us on fish. Although there were no fish caught, the crew did everything they could. This is not the first time I've been skunked and it won't be the last. I would recommend Start Me Up to anyone wanting to go fishing in Maui.
Thanks guys

Reviewed December 8, 2012

It's Saturday and I just got home. The eight inches of snow in my driveway tell me I'm not in Maui anymore. But I thought it was worth it to immediately get on here and commend Mike and Catfish for giving me my best experience so far with blue water fishing charters this past Thursday. That is only best of three, so people that are more experienced at going out and blindly hiring someone to take them out in the middle of an unfamiliar ocean may have more refined opinions. I have been lucky enough to hook up every time I've been out and I've done enough other kinds of fishing to count myself as simply, very lucky. What set these guys apart was the effort to provide a good experience, particularly to those of us who accept the fact that we aren't experts. Mike(captain) gave a good briefing on the boat, weather, conditions, and procedures, before we left the slip. Once we were out and rigged, Catfish gave a good rundown on what we were doing, why we were doing it, what to do when a fish is hooked. In my previous two experiences (Kuai and Cabo) this kind of instruction was completely absent. It was great to be treated like a customer/client rather than an outsider.

I am a little surprised to see a lot of negative comments here, and maybe a little confused by the logic on them. This kind of fishing is performed by keeping the lures moving through the water, and using the clues nature gives you to drag the lures through the best water you can find. It seemed to me that the crew moved efficiently to keep this happening the maximum amount of time. Again, I am not an expert, but it seems like they provide a great opportunity for that vast majority of us that fall between complete novice and someone who gets an opportunity to go every year or two but will probably never make it a priority to own their own boat and tackle.

I did a Google search to get to this site, looking for Start Me Up's website, with the intention of dropping a note to the owners regarding my satisfaction with my trip. I became verbose when I saw these negative comments by people who apparently expected something like flipping spinner baits at bass, or whatever they do. Anyway, I'm going to copy my comments and post them on other troll websites like this if I run across them. That is the conspiracy if you run across these comments somewhere else.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

If I wanted to just go on a 9 hour boat ride, I would not have got up at 2:30 in the morning! If you are planning on catching your own fish, you should probably pick another boat because you don't even get to touch a fishing pole. A complete rip off to get excited about the opportunity to do your own sport fishing to find out that you don't even get to fish or even touch a rod!!! I suggest you do your homework and find another boat that actually lets you do the fishing!

3  Thank Love2Go1159