“Best Surf School in Maui!”
Review of Opelu Surf School

Opelu Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: LEARN TO SURF Take a group, semi private or private surf lesson. We provide a highly qualified surf instructor, surf board, rash guard and reef booties. Lessons are 2 hours which includes land instructions before you enter the water. All ages shapes and sizes are welcome. Professional photos available. We are located close to the surf break so from the shop you will have a short walk to the beach where the lessons begin. Come Catch a Wave !!!! Mahalo
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

My 11 year old son took a private lesson at the Kaanapali location. He was given a short land based instruction by Kono and Braden. He was taken out into the water within 10-15 min with Braden. Braden was very helpful and knowledgeable.. He was able to get my son up on the board in a matter of minutes. Braden taught my son many tips on how to catch waves and before long he was riding waves all the way to shore. My son had an amazing time and i had a blast watching his success. I would highly recommend Opelu Surf school to anyone planning on visiting Maui. My older children did a surf lesson with a different school earlier in the week and did not receive the same quality of instruction. Opelu is the best surf school in Maui!

1  Thank Gizmo2318
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 12, 2013

These guys/gals are the real deal, true hawaiians teaching what they love! My wife and I had Joe and Lisa as instructors, and they were amazing, we both were up right away on the very first wave in and almost every other wave that came our way. When my wife started to become tired, Lisa actually towed her out on her board to catch the waves. They are on kaanapali beach (not on the boardwalk, they are right on the beach) under the red umbrella that says "Opelu Surf" between the marriott and the kaanapali alii

1  Thank Bryan H
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Look for the guys in the RED RASH GUARDS and LEARN FROM THEM!

GREATEST GUYS TO LEARN FROM EVER!!! Hands down most solid, sweet, kind, hilarious, and helpful guys.

If you want to learn to surf...learn from them!! Don't be afraid-they are so helpful and patient. Chad, Bradda, Jordan, & Nalu are all stand out guys. Don't be intimidated by their laid back attitudes--it is what makes them special.

They will get you a solid price--definitely the cheapest on the beaches & provide you with rash guards & crocks to protect your feet from the reefs.

We went back again and again to hang out with them throughout our trip just because they were so accommodating and such nice guys. Jordan also works as a dancer at the Hyatt Luau and is AMAZING--the guys will hook you up with other deals on the island too if they can.

Hilarious guys. There to help. Want to see you succeed. YOU GUYS MADE OUR TRIP!

1  Thank Blatt24
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I booked a private lesson for myself and my 2 friends. When we got there, our instructor invited 2 curious beachgoers to join us for 1/4 of the price we had already paid (ouch!). Thinking he was just renting them boards I didn't say anything. As it turns out they had just as much lesson as we did, and only one person surfs at a time, so it made big difference. Then the instructor left us alone in the water for 15 minutes and came back and ended out lesson 30 minutes early. He was also a little impatient and rude. I did get up on my board, but I would definitely go elsewhere next time.

2  Thank vacay00
See more reviews
Reviewed January 29, 2009

I just recently took a surf lesson with Opelu Surf School in Maui on Kaanapali Beach and I had a wonderful time. The lesson began with land based instruction and after a 15 minute discussion/demonstration we hit the water. Ricardo was my surf instructor and he was excellent, we paddled out and after additional in-water instruction I caught the first wave with Ricardo guiding me, I stood up and rode the wave into shore. The rest of the lesson was a blast, Ricardo kept providing me with surfing tips and techniques after I caught a wave. I plan to return to Opelu Surf School again in October and I would highly recommend the surf school to anyone planning on visiting Maui. I am looking forward to surfing with this surf school again.

3  Thank DVRDDS