“ONE-OF-A-KIND LUAU, AWESOME FOOD AND EXPERIENCE”
Review of Old Lahaina Luau

Old Lahaina Luau
Ranked #3 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Lahaina Luau takes great pride in presenting an authentic Hawaiian Luau. An evening of traditional Hawaiian cuisine, music, cultural dances and demonstrations. Guests will appreciate a genuine reflection of Hawaii's rich history while enjoying an ocean view and sunset.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
North Dakota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“ONE-OF-A-KIND LUAU, AWESOME FOOD AND EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed August 8, 2009

This is an authentic luau including some history of Maui. Seven of us attended this Luau in July 2009. The service was exceptional. We booked our reservations through Expedia and received top-notch service with seats already reserved (no waiting in line). The pre-luau attractions were great. The food was fabulous setup in a buffet style. The luau was magnificent and I would return again to see and have this experience.

1 Thank From_ND

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melrose, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Maybe we missed something??”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

Old Lahaina Luau was recommended to us by loads of people. Gotta be honest - both my husband and thought it was a rip off tourist trap. The drinks were watered down, and the buffet was average.
The show was good, but nothing special. Then again, maybe it was just us.... too much time in NYC!

1 Thank mes876
Dallas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome luau”
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We really enjoyed this luau. The food was the best of the buffet style dinners we ate on our trip to Hawaii. I couldn't get enough of the kalua pig. The entertainment and grounds were nice. We watched the sun go down over the water. The drinks were a little stiff and I ended up giving all of mine away because there was too much alcohol and not enough fruit juice in them. The drinks could be ordered without alcohol in them and those were quite tasty. The service was very good, and once we realized we did not have to stand in line at the bar and could order drinks from our server, we had a much better time. I would definitely experience this luau.

3 Thank bluebonnet157
New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“An enjoyable evening”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

My husband and I attended the OLL on July 22. Our confirmation said to arrive at 5:45 but since I read there was little parking and we were driving from Wailea (approx. 45 mins away) during rush hour, we arrived really early, a little after 5. The parking lot was almost half full. We received a friendly greeting and one of the employees saw me reaching in my purse and asked if we'd like a picture in front of the sign. We then went inside to receive our menu. Other people wrote how they had a nice greeting about their special occasion but I booked directly through their website and was not given the choice to let them know that it was our honeymoon or to give more than one name. We then went across the street to the mall to hang out a little bit.
We headed back over around 5:45 and waited in a short line as we waited to be seated. The mai tai we were served were pretty good. I'm not sure if when you book matters, but I booked 3 months in advance and we had seats on the second tier, slightly off-centered from the stage. It did become a little difficult to see the stage as we were seated at assigned seats at the table furthest from the stage. My husband and I then walked around the little village area and took pictures. Only once did a photographer tell us that we could get our picture taken but I didn't find them pushy. We listened to the stories they had to tell about their culture. Around 6, people started lining up around the imu so we did too. It was very hot waiting for the imu presentation. There is very little shade and wearing the lei makes me pretty sweaty. The imu presentation began a little after 6:30. I personally think waiting 45 minutes is too long to walk around their grounds as there isn't that much going on to occupy someone, especially in the heat. I can't imagine what it would have been like if it were raining that whole time. Luckily we had a spot on the front row for the imu. I got to sit on the ledge of the pit while they asked the front row to squat so others can see (I don't know how that's suppose to be comfortable for guests). Boy did that smell when they unearthened the pig!
We then proceeded to our seats and met the 3 other couples at our table. Every so often a dancer would come out and perform the hula while we waited to be called to the buffet. Our waiter was very attentive with our drinks all night and we tipped him at the end of the evening. My husband and I are very picky eaters and felt the food was ok. I think a child would find stuff to eat. Little desserts were served to the table afterwards. I would definitely recommend going to the bathroom at this time as our waiter pointed out. The line gets very long right before the show and there were only 4 or 5 stalls in the women's room.
The show was interesting, I liked that they were telling a story although sometimes I couldn't understand them on the mic. The costumes were great. The guys weren't wearing much of anything though. They did have a part in the show were they recognized birthday and honeymooners and all the married couples went up for a dance. We were done the show and in our car by 8:45.
Overall I'd recommend this experience. As we were walking out I couldn't believe how many people were complaining that there were no fire dancers, don't these people read reviews, it's not Hawaiian! I would go to the luau again but definitely not for the price. With all the people they have each night, 7 days a week, I don't know why the price needs to be so steep.

2 Thank LilLaurs11
Chelsea, MI
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“We really enjoyed everything about the Old Lahaina Luau.”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

We really enjoyed everything about the luau. From the minute one walks in, one is treated like royalty. Incredibly friendly staff who frequently check to make sure you have all you need. The food was very good (steak a little overdone), performance was fabulous!

2 Thank kewoody