“Exactly What You Would Imagine Hawaii To Be”
Review of Old Lahaina Luau

Old Lahaina Luau
Ranked #3 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Lahaina Luau takes great pride in presenting an authentic Hawaiian Luau. An evening of traditional Hawaiian cuisine, music, cultural dances and demonstrations. Guests will appreciate a genuine reflection of Hawaii's rich history while enjoying an ocean view and sunset.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Norfolk,MA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Exactly What You Would Imagine Hawaii To Be”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

As soon as you walk through the gates of the Old Lahaina Luau and they put a lei around your neck and a drink in your hand you think: This is exactly what I thought Hawaii would be. The grounds are right on the water and the scenery is picturesque with the boats out on the water and palm trees blowing in the wind and the sun setting behind them. The food was a lot better than expected. It is buffet style with many options; however, it was very organized. The service was great as well: Very entertaining and funny too! The show is very well done and traditional. There are no knife throwers or fire breathers because that is not Hawaiian. They do a very nice job and it definitely did not seem like a mass produced show as some Luaus can be. A great experience, after all when you are in Hawaii you have to do a luau!

2 Thank Redsox3

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Lovely, lovely time”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Great food, great venue, great service (Kyle with a smile), and overall one of the best luaus we have been too. Real flower leis a big plus, and we were given small white flowers that smelled wonderful. Tried several of the mixed drinks on the menu and never even got a buzz, but it was fun to try them. The lava flow with strawberries was a delicious, super sweet, brain-freezing treat.

Loved the show with a story as opposed to the "review" type dance show typical at every other luau we've been to. I think we actually learned something!
The dancers were all great and I loved the costuming. The band was great, performing songs I would even enjoy buying and listening to again.

The selection of food was greater than other luaus I've been to, adding many I'd not tried or heard of; all great! Kalua pork is my all time fave along with the haupia, but I now have many more after this luau! Also, having Kyle take care of our needs with drinks, coffee, and dessert before and during the show was a definite step above the rest! He was a lot of fun!

The view of the sunset on the water was beautiful!
Thank you for not making everyone pose for lousy, overcharged pictures!!
My only suggestion would be to try and obtain a larger parking lot or tell people ahead of time that the lot is small and advise them to park in The Cannery Mall lot.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A good introduction to Maui”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our family decided that a luau was in order since it was our first trip to Hawaii. Although we hesitated at first, thinking it would be corny, I'm glad we went and selected the Old Lahaina Luau. My husband and two 20+ sons enjoyed the night, the open bar, the wide selection of food, and the service of our waiter, Kai. He was attentive, delightful, and fun. In fact, all of the staff members were pleasant and upbeat.

The wide-ranging buffet gave us a chance to sample lots of different items, to taste poi for the first time, and to feast on wonderful fish selections. Kai presented us with a fabulous plate of desserts, and added extra chocolate for us (how did he know our weakness?). The show was informative and our table mates chatty.

Overall, a night well spent.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank clearly1
St. Albans, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good - a little bit of a production line”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Obviously when you are in Hawaii you need to go to a Luau. There are surprisingly few to chose from and we selected Old Lahaina Luau because the guide books (and yes trip advisor) said it was the best, especially when it comes to authenticity.

We waited until we arrived to try to book on but the website said all the places were taken for the full two weeks. I decided to contact the venue to see if there was a wait list and put my name down for any opening over the duration of our stay. We were called back within two hours and told there was an opening on that very night. I have no idea if this is typical or we were lucky, but clearly it is worth a call if you use the website and they say there is no availability.

We found the whole thing really good. It even entertained my four year old (but not so much the two year old). She particularly loved the hula girls, who were all mesmerising to watch. I was a little bit surprised by how little there was for kids to get involved with (other than a very brief go on some sticks at the very beginning) which meant it was basically 3 hours of sitting for two pre-schoolers, which is difficult no matter how good the entertainment is.

They shoved us on the end of a table, clearly wedged in (which I was okay with because we were actually wedged in) and they did not provide cutlery or china for those of us put on the end but we still paid full price (which was very expensive, especially when I paid over $70 for a kid who eats like a bird). The waiter was nice, but in that 'I want your tips' sort of way that american waiters are nice... like they don't actually mean it so you feel a bit off-kilter afterwards (he mentioned tips weren't included at least twice).

The food was excellent and while it was all you can eat - do it quickly because they try to clean your plates away before you have much of a chance to put yourself in a food coma. The cocktails were all included in the price but we only managed to get two each as the waiter was not around much to start off with. They were no where near full strength - I could tell they were weak and I am a pathetic drinker.

The entertainment was great. The dancing was good and the whole thing was very professionally put together. It chronicles Hawaii's spiritual history to modern day. There is a weird bit at the end where they wax lyrical about the Christians coming over and how great that was (despite the fact we banned the hula for decades) but I guess it is all in the aloha spirit.

So in summary, great but not without some drawbacks. Definitely worth a punt though.

2 Thank Meanie303
Genoa City, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing Luau & Food. Skimpy on Alcohol”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Amazing Luau. Food was great. Very skimpy on the alcohol. We all tried numerous drinks and you couldn't taste the alcohol in any of them. My mother-in-law has a reaction when she drinks and she had two drinks and no reaction. Makes you wonder if there was any alcohol in them at all.

2 Thank Lisa H