“A good introduction to Maui”
Review of Old Lahaina Luau

Old Lahaina Luau
Ranked #3 of 19 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Lahaina Luau takes great pride in presenting an authentic Hawaiian Luau. An evening of traditional Hawaiian cuisine, music, cultural dances and demonstrations. Guests will appreciate a genuine reflection of Hawaii's rich history while enjoying an ocean view and sunset.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A good introduction to Maui”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our family decided that a luau was in order since it was our first trip to Hawaii. Although we hesitated at first, thinking it would be corny, I'm glad we went and selected the Old Lahaina Luau. My husband and two 20+ sons enjoyed the night, the open bar, the wide selection of food, and the service of our waiter, Kai. He was attentive, delightful, and fun. In fact, all of the staff members were pleasant and upbeat.

The wide-ranging buffet gave us a chance to sample lots of different items, to taste poi for the first time, and to feast on wonderful fish selections. Kai presented us with a fabulous plate of desserts, and added extra chocolate for us (how did he know our weakness?). The show was informative and our table mates chatty.

Overall, a night well spent.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank clearly1

• Korean first
St. Albans, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good - a little bit of a production line”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Obviously when you are in Hawaii you need to go to a Luau. There are surprisingly few to chose from and we selected Old Lahaina Luau because the guide books (and yes trip advisor) said it was the best, especially when it comes to authenticity.

We waited until we arrived to try to book on but the website said all the places were taken for the full two weeks. I decided to contact the venue to see if there was a wait list and put my name down for any opening over the duration of our stay. We were called back within two hours and told there was an opening on that very night. I have no idea if this is typical or we were lucky, but clearly it is worth a call if you use the website and they say there is no availability.

We found the whole thing really good. It even entertained my four year old (but not so much the two year old). She particularly loved the hula girls, who were all mesmerising to watch. I was a little bit surprised by how little there was for kids to get involved with (other than a very brief go on some sticks at the very beginning) which meant it was basically 3 hours of sitting for two pre-schoolers, which is difficult no matter how good the entertainment is.

They shoved us on the end of a table, clearly wedged in (which I was okay with because we were actually wedged in) and they did not provide cutlery or china for those of us put on the end but we still paid full price (which was very expensive, especially when I paid over $70 for a kid who eats like a bird). The waiter was nice, but in that 'I want your tips' sort of way that american waiters are nice... like they don't actually mean it so you feel a bit off-kilter afterwards (he mentioned tips weren't included at least twice).

The food was excellent and while it was all you can eat - do it quickly because they try to clean your plates away before you have much of a chance to put yourself in a food coma. The cocktails were all included in the price but we only managed to get two each as the waiter was not around much to start off with. They were no where near full strength - I could tell they were weak and I am a pathetic drinker.

The entertainment was great. The dancing was good and the whole thing was very professionally put together. It chronicles Hawaii's spiritual history to modern day. There is a weird bit at the end where they wax lyrical about the Christians coming over and how great that was (despite the fact we banned the hula for decades) but I guess it is all in the aloha spirit.

So in summary, great but not without some drawbacks. Definitely worth a punt though.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Meanie303
Genoa City, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing Luau & Food. Skimpy on Alcohol”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Amazing Luau. Food was great. Very skimpy on the alcohol. We all tried numerous drinks and you couldn't taste the alcohol in any of them. My mother-in-law has a reaction when she drinks and she had two drinks and no reaction. Makes you wonder if there was any alcohol in them at all.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Lisa H
Howell, New Jersey, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful night”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The food was okay, not great, but the dancing and setting made up for it! Great to do once as its part of their beautiful culture.

Vancouver, Canada
81 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Beautiful location and very professional!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We attended the Old Lahaina Luau with our seven year old son. We had a fabulous time! I didn't see one seat with a bad view (of course the earlier you book the closer the seat). Food was great! Even our son, who is not big on trying new things, loved the Kalua pork, the chicken, and the steak! That's a lot for him! The drinks were good, and if you don't like mixed drinks, beer and wine were also included in the price. The show was excellent. They bring the kids down to a special area at the front so they can see, which was great! Tip: book early... And I mean early! You might get in on a cancellation but we tried to book a week before we came here, and they had one opening three weeks into our trip right before we came home! I suggest at least a month or two in advance and even earlier for the best seats!