“Just okay”
Review of Old Lahaina Luau

Old Lahaina Luau
Ranked #3 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Lahaina Luau takes great pride in presenting an authentic Hawaiian Luau. An evening of traditional Hawaiian cuisine, music, cultural dances and demonstrations. Guests will appreciate a genuine reflection of Hawaii's rich history while enjoying an ocean view and sunset.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was looking forward to a wonderful Hawaiin luau, but was only mildly entertained by this one. I knew going in that it was a traditional Hawaiin Luau, so I knew there would be no fire dancing. The story of the luau, however, was kind of hard to follow. The narration was not the best and I only caught about 40% of the story. The food was average and the drinks were not that great. I guess for the money I expected a little better. The staff was very friendly and accomodating.

There are newer reviews for Old Lahaina Luau

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Wonderful scenery, food and entertainment. Mai Tais were the best. Entertainment was fantastic. The chef even personally walked me through the buffet when I told them I had a nut allergy. An amazing memory from Maui. Thank you!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was my first luau so I really didn’t know what to expect, but I enjoyed it. The mai-tais they give you when you enter are really good and it was cool to get a real lei. The open bar was good for refills on the mai-tais and they weren't watered down like I'd expect with some open bars. There are a bunch of activities to do before dinner starts but we only watched the sunset and the unveiling of the roast pig. The setting was beautiful and a great backdrop for some family pictures. The staff was very friendly and attentive and our waiter had names for all of the different groups at our table. I am a picky eater so I wished there was more variety with the buffet dinner, but less picky members of my family seemed to enjoy the offerings. The show was nice, although a little long and got a little boring toward the end, but I did learn a few things! We received small loaves of banana bread as favors when we left, which were really good to eat for breakfast the next morning!

Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Constant entertainment and greatest hospitality from the moment you enter the venue. What more one can ask for!! Greetings with a fresh lei and Mai tai, no obligation picture stations by the ocean plus learning a few Hawaiin dance steps! This was followed by a hearty buffet and superb entertainment. Towards the end, birthday folks, honeymooners and anniversary couples were recognized and asked to step up for a slow dance. Amazing experience. Highly recommended!!

1  Thank Ayesha S
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Old Lahaina Luau was a real mixed bag for us (wife and I). Before I get to the good and bad, one thing to note. This is a traditional Hawaiian Luau, so you will see no fire dancing (which is Polynesian). This was not a problem for us, because we knew what we were getting, but from other reviews I have read, some people are disappointed by that. If you are looking for fire dancers, you would want to check out some of the other Luaus and Revues. OK, here's the great first:

They do traditional seating (on the ground) for the row of tables closest to the stage, then regular tables and chairs behind that. You can request which one you want. They also seat by when you make your reservations, and since we reserved about 6 months early, we were in the very front row of the table and chairs seats and had a terrific view of the stage. The dancing was both beautiful and inspired, and watch those hula girl's feet. Their heels almost never touch the ground while they are dancing. What endurance!

The grounds are gorgeous, right on the ocean. I recommend arriving early, so you are there when the gates open (the time varies with time of year, so check your reservations). This will give you time to walk the grounds and see the displays of traditional arts and activities. They also have stations set up at this time to take your photograph, with the option to see them and purchase after the show. I know this is a big money maker for lots of tourist stops, but in this case, we thought it was worth it. The ocean backgrounds in our photos were so beautiful they almost don't look real, and there's no hard sell to purchase if you don't like them.

The dinner was excellent, served buffet style. Our favorites were the Kalua pork, the grilled steak, the crab salad, and the banana bread (which also went home with everyone in a small gift bag). The bar is open all night, and the mai tais delicious. That along with the all you can eat dinner and the show make this a decent value overall.

When the gates first open everyone is greeted with a lei and a mai tai as they walk in, and the staff on the grounds are all very friendly and willing to engage you in conversation about Hawaiian culture. The bar area is a bit crowded and there is some waiting in line, but the bar staff is ever friendly, even dealing with the large numbers.

Now for the disappointments:

Our table server was very poor, especially as compared to the servers we noticed at the tables around us. The other servers were attentive and engaging with their tables, while ours barely came around at all, and when he did, he hardly spoke a word to us. He was a real boat anchor dragging down the evening.

The luau show is telling the story of Hawaii through dance, but unfortunately we could not clearly hear the narration, so we had a very difficult time following the story. As I mentioned, we were in the front row of table and chair seats, and it wasn't a problem of sound volume, but rather, sound clarity. Their audio system for the narrator really sounded distorted, and that was a big disappointment, as I really did want to hear the story that went with the dancing.

The desserts were not up to the high standards of the meal before them. They were either generic and tasteless, or just plain bad. Reminded me of prepackaged dessert items you might pick up at the supermarket.

If I were doing this again I might give a different luau a try. It wasn't awful by any means, but at $100 per person, that's up there where you really don't expect so many disappointments.