“Fantastic Luau Experience!”
Review of Old Lahaina Luau

Old Lahaina Luau
Ranked #3 of 18 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Lahaina Luau takes great pride in presenting an authentic Hawaiian Luau. An evening of traditional Hawaiian cuisine, music, cultural dances and demonstrations. Guests will appreciate a genuine reflection of Hawaii's rich history while enjoying an ocean view and sunset.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
calgary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic Luau Experience!”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

If you are even thinking about going to a Luau while vacationing in Maui, make sure you book ahead for this Luau. I booked it in July 2011 for our trip in October 2011. I found it on-line and it looked quite good for the internet pictures and I saw that it had won awards for their show. When I called to make my reservation, they explained that they book-up year round at least 2 weeks to a month in advance.

The girl at our concierge desk at the Honua Kai Resort tried to convince me to cancel this Luau and go to another one at a hotel near by. I decided not to cancel before I did some research into the other ones. While on a snorkel boat trip I asked crew member "Bob" if he had recommendations for a Luau and he said, "Definitely go to Old Lahaina Luau. It is the most authentic Hawaiian Luau experience".

Needless to say, we were so glad we didn't cancel this reservation. The service was amazing right from the time you entered to when you left, the grounds were spotless, the dances and show was fantastic, the view and grounds were breathtaking. We had amazing seats at the regular sit-down tables (maybe booking 3 months ahead helps). My 14 year old son, who doesn't really like dancing, singing shows etc., had a fabulous time! We were all so impressed and would definitely go back if we are ever in Maui again. I would say the buffet is average, but we don't usually like buffet restaurants anyway. Go for the luau experience, the show, the atmosphere, drinks. Don't expect the food to be amazing. That said, we all found enough good food to enjoy.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank lmlaz

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Centereach, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“fabulous!!!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

beautiful grounds and a perfect setting......food and drink all night and incredible service.....a must see and do

Visited October 2011
Livonia, Michigan
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One of the highlights”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

When we arrived, the staff was courteous, friendly, and excited to greet you. The grounds were immaculate with a beautiful view. Seating was either on the ground or at tables. The seating is also tiered which makes viewing easy on the raised stage. The food was good, and the show told a story. The costumes were very nice, and the dancers superb. A true highlight to our trip.

Visited November 2011
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The Best Luau Experience!”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

In August of 2011 my husband and I traveled to Hawaii for the first time. We definitely wanted to attend a luau, and our travel agent steered us in this direction. While it was the only luau we attended, I can safely say it had to be the best. They were helpful in finding parking, and we were greeted with smiles, fresh lais, and mai tais. We were brought over to our seat, where we joined another couple and a family- it seemed as if every table had amazing few. We were free to explore the area and enjoy the sunset. They roasted the pig in an imu, which as underground way of cooking the pig (not as I envisioned it which would be on a spit!) and the food was served buffet style. The open bar was a great plus, and the food was excellent with enough variety to satisfy anyone. The service was top notch, and the hula dancing was absolutely amazing. The performers told the story of hula THROUGH hula, and my husband and I left beyond satisfied and impressed with the organization and professionalism.
A few notes- in our hotel guest book, many people complained about other luaus, but everybody raved about Old LaHaina. The Lava Flow a pina colada with strawberries drizzled in it was my favorite! It was a little crowded trying to see them take out the pig, but that was not a big deal. And the sunset was SPECTACULAR.

Visited August 2011
Denver, Colorado
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“A great luau...not cheesy at all”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We were in Maui for a wedding and a large group of us went to the luau as a rehearsal dinner type thing. In the beginning it was a little confusing because I don’t think they were used to a large group of people coming at once so they had us stand in many lines for no reason. Once we got in everything was great. Highly recommend taking pictures near the ocean during sunset. Our server Reese was great, the food was very good and the show was amazing! This was not a cheesy luau that most people are expecting it was done very tastefully and told the history of the dance. A great experience that all should enjoy!