“Choose another luau!!!!”

Wailele Polynesian Luau
Ranked #11 of 17 Concerts & Shows in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: At Wailele Polynesian Luau dinner show, guests will embark on an exciting journey to the Polynesian Islands where dance was considered not just as a form of entertainment, but as a means of telling stories. Recognized for providing an award-winning experience, the luau is held oceanfront at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa and features dances and songs from old and modern Hawaii, Tahiti, Fiji, New Zealand (Maori), Tonga and Samoa. Highlights include the story of Pele (Goddess of Fire), Hi'ilave Hula Awana dedicated to Wailele (meaning waterfalls) and Maui's most extreme fire knife dance finale called "Siva Afi". The unforgettable evening of fun, culture and entertainment is complemented by a traditional dinner served buffer style and selection of beverages.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I have been to other luaus in the past and this one was by far at the bottom of the list. If not for the single Polynesian guy who performed the fire dance and the beautiful sunset in the background, I will say this was the worst luau. The traditional ceremony before you eat was nonexistent, the all you can drink included was composed of three way too sweet fruity drinks, red or white cheap wine, coffee and fountain drinks. When I asked for a piña colada, I was told they didn't offer any blended drinks. By the time our table was called up to the buffet line, there was so little to choose from. It was a regular no big deal boring array of food you could very well eat anywhere else, steamed rice and noodles and teriyaki tating chiken? Give me a break! Save yourself the $110 per person we through down the drain.

There are newer reviews for Wailele Polynesian Luau

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The only thing that wasnt perfect was the location as it didnt have the open sunset view even though the show is right at the beach. it was blocked by a rock but even then it was a great show. excellent performers and good food. the fire dance at the end was pretty amazing. i havent been to other luau's but overall i was very pleased despite no view of the sunset.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I'm sorry to be the bad reviewer. You can see from my other reviews from this Maui trip, I had a great time. Every other review I have written was positive. This luau, however, didn't do much for me.

The luau is held on the Aloha Pavillion, which ran into trouble in one serious way. It was completely surrounded by the the hotel and the man-made rock-like structure behind the stage, which led to it being very hot, without the enjoyment of the breeze that you are accustomed to throughout Maui. This was the only time I complained about the heat for my entire trip.

The food was good, but nothing special. I went to a luau in Kauai a few years ago, and the pork was brought out still on the pig that they dug up out of the sand where it was cooked prior to the luau and carved it into the serving trays in front of the guests. That seemed authentic to me. Perhaps it was just for show. This food was in a buffet line that may or may not have been prepared authentically, but was most likely prepared in the Westin kitchen. The food was good, but it was just buffet food.

The show was incredibly boring until the end. The host was enjoyable to an extent, but the dancing was average at best. Once again, I was comparing this in my mind to the luau I saw in Kauai, and this wasn't even close. The dancers weren't in synch. The male dancers had no intensity until the fire dance. The other luau I went to had the men stomping and yelling showing dances of intimidation and power. The men in this luau mostly danced along with the women, and all of the dances were very slow. There were a few fast moves to pick up the pace here and there, but for the most part, this was a bore.

The fire dance at the end was fun; however, I think most luaus do this, and this show's fire dance wasn't enough to save it. I got a great deal of my travel information from Maui Revealed, and they listed this luau 3rd or 4th on the island. I had the TravelZoo deal however, and thought it would still be good. If I were to go back, I would pay full price for one of the other luaus on the island.

2  Thank Andrew F
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Again, we had a Travelzoo voucher, so paid $200.00 for 4 tickets when regular price was $110.00 per adult ticket. It was 2 hotels down from the Marriott, so walked over to the Westin. The entrance queue moved quickly, which was a pleasant surprise! Mai tai's & other drinks were offered before you were taken to the table, a nice touch! The earlier you arrive, the better your seating, even though they discourage early arrival... Dinner is buffet style & they go table by table, so no major crowds, which was nice. The chef has a full list of allergies/food sensitivities listed on a nice stand up plastic stand, so you can make choices. When I asked a manager about gluten free choices, he unbeknownst to me, went to the kitchen & prepared a steak & grilled tomato for me, again, nice service! He also brought me a large fruit plate while others were going up for cake/pasteries! Kudos to your service! The show was nice, nothing special. The fire dancers were fun to see. It was a fun evening, close to the resort & we were "home" by 8:45, so not too late!

2  Thank Karen B
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I booked this Luau for my wife and I using a Travelzoo special for $99 for two people. Given the price, I rated this four stars. If I had paid full price, I would have rated it lower.

The drinks were decent, and the food was good quality served buffet style. The entertainment was a little cheesy but entertaining nonetheless. The comedian at the start was our favorite part.

I do have a couple of recommendations for improvement:

1) Do not make guests wait outside for 30+ minutes in the hot temperatures. If people arrive early, seat them early. People should not have to line up like cattle at a 5-star property.

2) Try to seat people in groups of similar people, eg. couples with couples, families with families, etc. It makes for a much more enjoyable evening and is not difficult to do. A little extra planning and forethought would make all the difference.

1  Thank Matt_UKTX