“Maui Kai - Junior Suite 806”
Review of Maui Kai

Maui Kai
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We rented Maui Kai Junior Suite 806 for the second time from Art & Sopie Nickel. We were sooo pleased that it was available for us. Mahalo again Art and Sopia!
It is a very updated unit, with a new flat screen TV and new, high top lanai furniture. The unit is very clean and has everything needed for a wonderful stay.
The Maui Kai is literally on the water...whale watching is incredible!! And sea turtles swan in the ocean right in front of the condo every day. To wake up each and every morning, and see so many whales is amazing! It is hard to leave the condo with the "show" going on in the ocean right in front of you! And, sunsets here are spectacular!
All the staff is very friendly and helpful and, love the gardener who always waved at us and flashed us the shaka sign!!
Maui is one of those places that even after our 6th visit will never grow old. And, Maui Kai...and Unit 806...we'll be back!!!
Mahalo!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,139)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 4 nights at Maui Kai during our Hawaiian vacation. The view from the lanai was amazing; we spent the mornings drinking coffee and whale watching (as well as enjoying the ocean views, including distant Molokai and Lanai), and also enjoyed sunsets from the west-facing view. We were within walking distance to the beaches and restaurants. The unit had a well furnished kitchen (refrigerator, dishwasher, stove, coffee pot, toaster, dishes, utensils, bowls, etc.), so we were able to prepare some of our own meals. Parking was never a problem. Only cons were being in a first floor unit (people walking by on the walkway = less privacy), and the bed could have been more comfortable. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had the great fortune to book our "slice of heaven" through "Maui Kai 806" Art and Sophie Nickel. This was a last minute vacation during high season. We only needed 3 nights and Art spent a considerable amount of his time on the phone with me trying to find a unit since they were almost completely booked. The time was worth it as #308 was a 1 bedroom corner unit with incredible views. All units at Maui Kai face the ocean but the corner units also give you an additional side view. The unit itself was updated and having a full size kitchen saved us a lot of money on food. As we relaxed on the lanai, the roar of the ocean was so close I expected to get splashed at any moment even though we were on the 3rd floor. We loved this unit so much that we tried to stay an extra couple of days but it was already booked by another lucky guest. On our return trip in 2014, we will definitely stay at the Maui Kai again and arrange our dates around the availability of a corner unit.

Room Tip: Corner units offer the best views of the ocean and let in plenty of sunshine and warm breezes.
1  Thank Donna H
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked thru "Maui Kai 806" Art and Sophie Nickel. Our condo was perfect! The condo was spotless and equipped with everything we needed. The view was amazing - we watched whales from the balcony! Nice pool and hot tub. Laundry facilities right across the hall. We loved it and had an amazing holiday.

1  Thank RussSandie
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Donna Bender, who owns Maui Ka 807, helped us book a unit last November and we loved it so much we had her help us book a return visit in February. Rarely can you find a place with all the rooms right on the coast so that you can listen to the waves all night long and watch whales from your lanai. This was a great vacation and we will be back

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Had to book a last minute business trip to Maui during peak season. I booked through Maui Kai 806 owners Art & Sophie Nickel, and they really came through for me.Had to stay in 2 units because so last minute. Unit 106 (studio - but bigger than any hotel room I've stayed in) is gorgeous. Beautifully updated with all the things you would need for the beach: towels, chairs, snorkels, even an umbrella. I was there during a very windy time, so the lanai was wonderful because you could not be on the beach. Also stayed in unit 608. Could stand to be updated, but not bad. The views from the 6th floor are amazing. Lots of rainbows and whales! Really appreciated the free internet (I was there for business)and the hassle free parking. You could also check out DVDs. Location is great. 5 minutes to the Kaanapali resorts and 10 minutes to Lahaina. Walking distance to some local restaurants and grocery store - but you could also just walk to the resort next door and get drinks/food there. Only thing missing was my family. Would happily go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Debra F
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were very disappointed during our stay at unit 505 at Maui Kai during Dec 2012. We got into this rental because of Mr. Art Nickel, who seemed to have good reputation.

We requested for a unit with leather furniture as me and my daughter are allergic to dust usually collected in the fabric furniture. We were given assurance that we would get one. We didn’t get one.

The unit had black bugs crawling on the kitchen table. After reporting we
weren’t moved to another unit however, some treatments were applied.

Hospitality from the local staff was very unsatisfactory as well.
We didn't have wireless Internet service for two full days and during these first two days (Sat and Sunday) the front desk staff didn't tell us that the service could be available by the pool. As we didn't have the Internet access I went to the front
desk asking for information on certain activities. I was told to stop
by at some of the hotels and speak with their concierge.

Upon asking spelling of certain place to feed in the GPS I was given a map to find
the spelling. My daughter have some motion sickness issues so one
day when we were leaving for road to Hana I asked the front desk rep.
if she could give me few hard candies as they always have the bowl
full of them. Her response was "I get amazed by people asking for
little things like this instead of buying it".

My daughter lost the retainer she received from dentist after the
braces were removed just few weeks ago. She left them on a paper towel
in the bathroom. By the time we come back from swimming pool the room
service did their clean up and the transparent plastic retainers were
gone. Most probably thrown away with the paper towel. This retainer is
going to cost us $300. This incident was also reported to the front
desk and a supervisor with cleaning lady came to us and said the
garbage is all mixed up with other bags and it can't be searched.

Because of not having the Internet we couldn't pull up our reservation
and address of a company whom we paid for zip line activity. We
couldn't make it to them until the next day and we were refused to be
accommodated as we didn't even call. $296.85 is not a small amount. I
had reported to the front desk manager I believe Ms. Tony who asked me
to leave whatever the proof I may have so that she can work on
refunding the lost money. Receipt of the payment was provided yet we have not received any refund. I was told that the zip line company told them they can't conclusively say if we took the ride or not.

On top of everything I felt so foolish as we met an Indian couple who
just walked in Maui Kai and rented very similar unit for $100/day.

We rented this place only because reviews we read on Trip advisor. Unfortunately we can't visit Hawaii frequently. We have to live with these unhappy and few good memories.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank HHD57
Charles M, General Manager at Maui Kai, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

We apologize that you felt your vacation was not all it could have been. As you know,we worked at addressing each issue as presented and did our best to provide resolution as quickly as possible. Maui Kai rental program owners,staff and management strive to provide the best possible customer service,satisfaction and experience to all of our guests.