“Perfect!”
Review of Maui Kai

Maui Kai
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Maui Kai, arranged through Donna Bender. She was able to book us a unit when the property said it was sold out. I could not have picked a more perfect place! The building is 25 feet from the ocean and all units are oceanfront. We sat on the balcony and watched the whales for hours each day! We didn't even need to go on a whale watching tour because we were so amazed with what we saw just looking out from our condo.
The unit was lovely. Comfortable bed, fully furnished and a good size. I loved that it was a condo with a full kitchen because we could stock the fridge and save some cash on meals. But there were great restaurants in the area and downtown Lahaina is just a short drive. I recommend Java Jazz & Soup Nutz for tasty breakfast!
The beaches adjacent to the hotel are wonderful and others we explored up the coast were fabulous as well.
All around, Maui Kai is perfect!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 6, 2012

First, I want to thank the owner, Bob Davis, for accommodating me at such a late date. I really appreciate your flexibility.

Having to fly to Honolulu for a last minute meeting, I decided to hop over to Maui for three nights. I never miss a chance to re-energize my spirit with a dose of Maui love.

Did some hiking in Iao Valley and Kapalua area, but mostly just chilled on the beach. The Maui Kai is relaxed, laid back and just a great place to unwind. It's not a Kaanapali resort with lots of noise or tourists jostling for position around the pool. It's not glitzy. It's not fancy. It's just....nice.

I was here a few months ago and loved the place. Still just one elevator, but it's new. And the installers told me the second one would be up and running by first week in September. Fewer people on the island than in the spring - but that's fine with me.

I still love the scene around the pool. It's relatively small, but in a cozy way. The other guests are very friendly and easy to get to know. I made friends with a guy from Oregon and we played a great round of golf at Kapalua. I appreciate him letting me win.

The condo is very, very nice. Bob told me that it had just been refurnished a couple of months ago. I liked it before. I love it now. Great furniture, beautiful walls, very chic. It's still comfortable. Still Hawaiian. Just more so. Only regret - the stay was too short to grill up some fresh ahi and local veggies, or make one of my Maui onion, tomato and cheese frittatas. Next time.

I'll be back next spring. Sooner, if I get lucky.

P.S.: The view from the lanai is still the best in the world.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MadisonMatt
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My family of five (3 young adult children) stayed here for several days during our multi-island Hawaiian vacation in August. For the most part, the Maui Kai was fine. We'd done our research and knew we were not staying at a resort, or even a hotel. We are not the type of family that looks for more than clean, convenient lodging as we are out of our hotel room most of the day anyway.
That said, our stay at Maui Kai was not something we would repeat or recommend.

This is an older condominium building with few amenities. The unit we occupied was #1001; we booked directly through the Maui Kai management. Rowena at the front desk was friendly and helpful. The condo, however, was very dated and left much to be desired. The bedding was old and not at all comfortable; the bathroom was very small and in need of renovation. We had a balcony that overlooked the ocean - very nice - but we could not leave the sliding glass doors open because birds flew in and perched on the living room furniture! We learned through other Maui Kai guests that this is a regular occurrence - the birds learn very quickly where to find food crumbs and they fly into the units if you leave the lanai doors open. Needless to say, we were stuffy and uncomfortable during our entire stay as the antiquated air conditioning unit did not cool the entire unit.

The location is great - the ocean literally laps at the building's back door. It is affordable ocean front lodging and in Maui, that's saying something. But you trade off for those "luxuries" because this is an old condo tower more suited for older travelers. No resort fees, no parking fees, but no high speed Wi-Fi either.
It depends on what you're willing to give up in order to be on the ocean's edge.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank WVeranda
alpins, Guest Relations Manager at Maui Kai, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

On behalf of the owners and staff at the Maui Kai I would like to thank you for your feedback. We strive to make our guests feel welcome and return home with pleasant memories. Our staff is dedicated to achieve the highest standards of cleanliness and to maintain the best efficiency required of the rooms in our management program.
Each of our units is individually owned and furnished accordingly. Occasionally a guest may be dissatisfied with their room and we will do our best to accommodate their wishes; and possibly move the guest if that is an option.
Our front desk is open from 7 am until 10 pm for your assistance. Our building is equipped with central air conditioning and a quick call would have remedied any maintenance issues. The rooms do have screen doors/windows installed for your convenience and using them would have prevented birds (or other creatures) from entering the unit. In an effort to conserve energy, we do require the lanai doors to be closed to initiate the air conditioning. Our high speed wi-fi access is a new addition to the amenities included, and our guests have been very pleased with this service.
I am happy that you were satisfied over-all. We do hope you will consider a return visit to the Maui Kai knowing we will do our very best to make your stay a pleasant one.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Ok... I have stayed at many Four Seasons and Ritz Carltons in my life. This is not one of those places... however, it is basically almost in the water and every room has a view. It is quiet without a million kids running around. The room is a strange mix of outdated furniture with upgrades. For example, it has the bed tucked into the wall but has an ipod dock. The room came with everything you could need... boogie boards, beach chair, umbrellas, room safe, all utensils to make dinner for 8 people, binoculars etc. Best sunset pictures ever from my lanai! And that was pretty big. The pool area isnt and huge but it was quiet, pool was heated and they had a great area to cook in. We were looking for no frills because we knew we werent staying in our room alot and we were pleasantly surprised. It was very clean and the staff were very helpful. If you don't need the extras and you appreciate small, its the place to go.

Room Tip: Room 707, in August.. best sunset pictures!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CORRIEA_11
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We recently stayed in this unit (8/22-8/28/12). It was exactly as advertised. The pictures on the accurately represented the condo. It was very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed the lanai for sunsets and morning coffee. The beach right in front is pretty non existent but just to the right of the complex (10 steps) is a nice beach. We snorkeled in front of the condo and it was just okay. There was better snorkeling south of the complex at one of the public beaches near the Westin.
The Maui Kai complex is in a great location. There are grocery stores and quick eats within walking distance. There is also a Duke's just down the beach. If you are looking for a resort, look elsewhere. But if you want a quiet, clean, comfortable place right on the ocean where you can cook a few meals, this is the place. PM me if you have questions.

Room Tip: Unit 504 is right in the middle of the complex.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed a few days at the Sheraton and then moved to the Maui Kai for a few days. You get alot for your money at the Maui Kai! Everything was great and we plan to stay there again the next time we visit Maui. It was fun viewing turtles while looking down from our balcony and of course you can't stop watching the whales. Bring with you binoculars! This is a great place if you love to walk along the beach. We booked oour room through Donna Bender who owns Maui Kai 807.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank spm2-72
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My daughter & I booked through the owner of Maui Kai 807, Donna Bender. The condo was extremely well maintained as well as the grounds, pool & the gas BBQs. You literally have the sand & surf right at your footsteps. We watched the whales & turtles each day from our lanai. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: January 2012