“Great Place to Stay”
Review of Maui Kai

Maui Kai
Reviewed February 27, 2008

My husband and I were very happy with our condo #508. We stayed there from February 16 to the 23rd. We had a corner room and could look down the beach and the front of the ocean. Wonderful holiday and very comfortable accomodations. We couldn't have been more pleased. The kitchen was well equiped with all that we needed. We definitely would plan to stay at this place again. We enjoyed watching the whales every day from our balcony and the weather was perfect. Our only regret was that the stay wasn't long enough. Candy and Mike,

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sasktwins
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed February 27, 2008

We stayed at the Maui Kai Unit#904 in March 2006. We had a bad experience as the kitchen countertop had lots of ants everywhere and the bedframe had two large cacoons. My daughter age seven got bit and had an allergic reaction that was all over her body. I spent a week in the hospital with cellultis(caused by insect bites) and now have lymphoedema, (consistant swelling) permanent damage to my left arm. The Maui Kai has not responded to our many attempts to try and deal with this incident. Even after our lawyer sent a letter.

I would attach photos, unfortunately they are not family-friendly.

Very concerned for the health of others and frustrated customer of the Maui Kai.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank cindyday
Reviewed February 25, 2008

First of all, I have to mention that I booked the wrong dates for my stay here. This was entirely my fault, but the owner/manager, Chuck helped me out as much as possible and was extremely nice. My boyfriend and I ended up staying at the Maui Kai 4 out of the 5 nights that I intended to book. The first night, we had to stay somewhere else. It was such a joy to arrive at Maui Kai condos on the second day!
This place is awesome. We had a studio room, which was on the small side, but not lacking in comfort. Our back window opened up to a great view of the ocean, which is literally right outside, steps from the hotel. All night long, we listened to the ocean. During daylight hours, we saw whales almost constantly! What a great location.
The room was very clean and comfortable. The kitchen was equipped with everything we could possibly need for cooking. The room had a stereo with ipod hookup, a great TV with tons of channels and a DVD player, books to read, Maui guidebooks, and a very helpful binder of information. This binder was compiled by the hotel owner and had information about everything from local restaurants and attractions to Hawaiian culture, local wildlife, ocean hazards, and other helpful info. It was a really nice touch.
The staff was extremely nice. I accidentally broke an outside light with my surfboard and the staff members were very nice about it.
All in all, my boyfriend and I were very pleased with this place. I would definetely stay there again if I am ever lucky enough to go back to Maui!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Oceanmusic77
Reviewed February 9, 2008

My family spent 6 nights in this condo #301, We all love its location and well-equipped furniture.We cooked everyday, just like staying in our home.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Thank DDS.LO
Reviewed January 24, 2008

Had a wonderful stay in this unit. Pluses: the lanai overlooking the beach, the location, the updated decor, the fabulous shower, the entertainment system, the sleep number bed, the closet full of every bit of beach equipment one could possibly need (except a longboard--you'll have to settle for a boogie board :)). Honestly, you could (and will want to) live on that delicious lanai with its mesmerizing view of the ocean, Molakai and Lana'i and whales.

Minuses: minor, but just so you know: not comfortable for three adults. The foldout in the living room leaves much to be desired in the comfort dept, and the one bathroom would have been fine except that one night we all had a stomach upset..... The building itself has seen better days, but the unit is many steps better than the building. The flooring in the unit is starting to chip, which leaves a first impression of a dirty unit, but the fact is the place was impeccably clean (particularly when you consider all that sand just steps from the back door).

The building is walking distance to a couple of farmers markets (one of which has three different signs designating three different sets of hours, none of which it actually observed), a small shopping center with a grocery, a wonderful fish market (where you can get fish to prepare yourself or some wonderful fish dishes prepared), and a deli owned by the former executive chef of Mama's Fish House. And, of course, the beach. If you spit from the lanai, you'll hit the ocean, it's that close.

Parking is plentiful, and there's a nice little pool with a well-appointed cabana.

I plan to go back to Maui, and will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed at the Maui Kai 301 after seeing positive reviews of the property here and elsewhere. We were not disappointed. First, Shayla, the owner, is a fantastic person to work with. Everything was a promised. Second, the room was up to date, clean, and with all possible amenities (e.g., snorkeling equipment for 4) and a new entertainment system. Third, the views from the lanai were breathtaking--the whales put on a spectacular show, and they were easy to see with the powerful binoculars included with the room.

We highly recommend Maui Kai 301.

Joe and Michelle

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I chose Maui Kai (#301) because the picture of the view from the lanai looked the most appealing....and I wasn't disappointed.

We loved our stay in Maui and the Maui Kai condo (#301) was absolutely wonderful. We had a great view of the entire beach from our lanai, watched sea turtles feeding and dolphins playing. The condo unit was perfectly decorated and furnished. My parents had the bedroom and I slept on the couch which pulled out to a bed. I went to sleep everynight to the sound of waves on the beach. The kitchen was furnished with everything we needed.

We highly recommend Maui Kai # 301 to anyone wanting a wonderful place to stay. It was so much better than any hotel. This was my first time in paradise and I can't wait to go back!