“Simply Paradise!”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I would highly recommend this hotel. When we arrived, I was not pleased with the so-called "ocean view" room I was given. It was obscured by several trees and was definitely a "partial-ocean view" in my book. By 6pm that same night, we were transferred to a beautiful "ocean view" room. The front desk staff were so accomodating!! They really do treat you like family. We had the same experience with the housekeeping and engineering staff. When we had a problem, they made things right in a timely manner. We tried out all three restaurants on the premise and found the food delicious and reasonable. We also went to some of the free classes they offer and loved the fact that we were just footsteps to the beach and to the Trilogy Shack where you can get towels and rent cabanas, fins, snorkel, etc. They also offer great scuba, snuba and snorkel trips. The pool is adequate, but since we have a pool at home, it wasn't our main focus. We checked out other hotels and still felt we had the best view and the best deal for the price. Would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank OCLuv2Trvl

Reviewed July 18, 2009

We stayed at KBH for one week and absolutely loved it! The hotel has the most beautiful grounds in the whole neighborhood and it's located on the best part of the Ka'anapali Beach, close to Black Rock with it's snorkeling opportunities.
We loved the entertainment and Tiki Bar. We very much enjoyed the food at the Ka'anapali Mixed Plate restaurant that is located right next to the hotel entrance and has a buffet with great local dishes at very reasonable prices.
We would like to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank PolishMauilover
Reviewed July 18, 2009

The hotel by far has the friendliest staff we have ever come across. We stayed in one of the renovovated oceanfront rooms and it was great. The property is well taken care of...We were sad to leave this place where we felt at home. We will definetely be staying here on our next trip back to Maui.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed here from June 30th to July 7th. This was our first trip to Maui & was a late honeymoon/ 40th B-day for me.

Instead of just reviewing this Hotel, I'm going to review my whole trip, so bare with me. Hopefully, you can find some helpful info. in all this.

We booked the trip trough Expedia which seemed to be on par price wise with the other on-line travel agencies. Some of the features I liked while booking was the option to upgrade cars, rooms, non-stop flight etc.

Travel Guides:
We took "Maui Revealed". A lot of great info. Also, all over the Island are travel guides with maps. These are filled with discount coupons for different food and attractions.

Flight:
We took a non-stop flight on United. If your tall, pay for the $50 upgrade to Economy plus. You'll appreciate the extra leg room. Also, the emergency exits have the most leg room, but you must be willing to help out in an emergency. When you check-in with your flight prior to departure, you may be able to get these emergency exit seats without having to pay the upgrade (we did on the flight over).

Packing:
Pack light. United charges $125 for over 50 pounds. But I found they didn't really pay too close attention to this. They also charge for each booked bag (cheaper if paid before hand on-line). We brought more than we needed. I had no need for slack or a coloered shirt. If you do an activity at a hight altitude, it can get cold. So take that into consideration. But there's no reason not to bring back a nice Maui sweatshirt you bought. If you plan on buying shirts or other clothing in Maui, just wear it while your there. This will allow plenty of room in your suitcase for those souvenir bring backs. The flight offered only free drinks and everything else you had to pay for (although head sets are now free and the jack will work with your ipod head phones). They offfered food for purchase, but if you want to save money, bring your own snacks or sandwiches (TSA will make you ditch your drinks).

Car rental:
If your going to drive most the Island and spend time in the car, make sure your car is big enough and comfortable. Also beware of upgrades they'll offer you. Know what your insurance or credit card will cover before you go, or you may end-up paying for extra not needed coverage. We were offered a convertible upgrade, but with temps in the high 80's, I wanted air conditioning. I also didn't feel at a loss without a convertible, but it's a personal preference.

Food and items to bring to the hotel:
There's a Costco and Wal-mart on the way to the hotel. We stopped at Wal-mart and picked-up some snacks. We also picked-up a case of water to leave in the car & a case to leave in the room. The rooms have mini-friges, but no Microwave. Don't forget utensils (paper plate, towels, bowls, spoons, knife, etc,). We also picked-up some rollout sand mats for just under two bucks. These we just left behind. Cheap towels may also be a good idea if you plan to checkout different beachs. The hotel offers free towels to use for the beach, but they're the same as the shower towels in the rooms. And if you didn't bring your own snorkel gear, this may be the time to pick some up. Sets sell for $30 to $50. Rental's I saw where $8.00 for two hours. And don't forget sunblock , hats and watershirts to swim/snorkel in that are SPF rated. The sun will eat you up.

The Hotel:
Staff was friendly, and the room was clean. But this is an older hotel. If you like a new hotel that's more upscale, this isn't it. It worked fine for our needs. Our bacony room was on the top floor (6th) and faced the pool. You had to stand on the balcony to see the ocean (I think they consider this a ocean view). We spent ever morning out there feeding the birds and mapping out our day. We also sat out there at night enjoying the music from the band that plays every night. No major problems, but they were doing construction upgrades to the wing next to ours. And one of the two elevators wasn't working for about 4 days. The grounds here are larger than any of the other hotels I saw. A ton of grass area complete with chairs. Also, several trees to lay under if you want out of the sun. They have a nice activities rental hut right at the boardwalk. This is were you get your towels for the beach. Or can rent snorkel gear, booging boards, etc. And there's a shower to rinse off sand right near the hut on the boardwalk. The beach in this area is nice and big compared to the beach area in front of some of the newer hotels. The waves are just small shorebreak. Further down the beach are some nice surfing waves. But as you drive Hwy 30 into Kaanapali, you'll see other nice beaches with surfing waves. The other end of the beach takes you to Black Rock. This has some excellent snorkeling. We even saw sea turtles here. The Hotel offers you a free buffet breakfast. They give some great info. at this breakfast on activivites around the island and a few other things. And there's a ton of different free activities offered at the hotel you can sign-up for. They also give you a checkout lay. Parking is $9.00 a day, but my room safe was free. And since it was our honeymoon, they gave us some free champagne, chocolates & cookies with bed turndown service. Very nice touches. The prices at the hotel gift shop were on par with everywhere else. Internet is available in the lobby (at a cost) if you just need to check your e-mail.

Food:
The hotel offers a few different buffet choices. They also have a mixed plate restaurant, but we never made it inside. There's plenty of places to eat for $20 to $40, but if you look around, you'll find cheaper places. Subway and Round table pizza are only five minutes away. The tiki grill at the hotel isn't a bad deal. $10 burgers and 3 chicken or beef skewers for $8. And the bar offerers drink specials. Avoid the food court at Whalers village (the Mc Donalds is probably ok), but the rest tasted or looked horrible.
There's also plent y of outdoor farmer markets to check out. There's a real nice one on Lower Honopali'ilani Rd towards Napili. Complete with free tasting. Choose between 10 different jams or dips. Also plenty of fresh fruit or breads to buy. Check out Mama's Fish House on your way to or coming back from Hana. Excellent food, view, and atmosphere. It really isn't that expensive when you compare it to what they're charging at the hotel restaurants. And for breakfast, try Pineapple bananna pancakes w/ macadania nuts and coconut syrup at the Gazebo. Park in the Napili Shores parking lot and follow the signs.

Other Hotels:
You can walk the boardwalk all the way down to the last resort in this area. This is where you'll see the newer hotels in the area. Some are definetly more kid friendly with beautiful pools. But I noticed there wasn't much area to hangout in and this included the beach in front of these hotels. So I guess the trade off is newer/nicer rooms, but more kids and crowds.

We booked several adventures:
Make sure you know the location of the outfit you booked with in correlation to the hotel. No sense driving two hours away to do something they offer 5 minutes form the hotel (we did this with Ziplining). We drove two hours to the Skyline Eco-Adventure at Haleakala, when it's offered by the same outfit 10 minutes away in Kaanapali. I was very pleased with this Zip line company. We also took the Pacific Whale Foundation boat to Molokini & Turtle Arches for snorkeling. I recommend joining the Pacific Whale Foundation, as the savings on this trip by being a member, pays for the membership. And you get a free shirt. This seemed like a very professional outfit, and I would use them again.

Lu'au:
We did the Old Lahaina Lu'au, which is just off Front St. in Lahaina right next to the Aloha mixed plated (our waiter at Aloha mixed plate was also a dancer at the lu'au). Everyone we talked to recommended this Lu'au, and we weren't disapointed. There's also the Feast at Lele, that offers dancing and food from Hawai'i, Tonga, Tahiti, and Samoa. The Old Lahaina being just Hawaiian.

If you go during the fourth of July:
There's a fireworks display in Old Lahaina. And fireworks are permitted on the beach and can be purchased at Wal-mart (wish i had known ahead of time).

Road to Hana:
Your choice. We just went to mile marker 2. Walked a mile inland to the waterfall there. Wife swam in the pond. If you want that jungle feel but don't want to do the road to Hana, we found an area about 15 minutes from Kaanapali. The parking area to Honolua bay (excellent snorkeling) is like a jungle. This is just past Napili. You have to walk through this thick jungle vegetation on a trail just to get to the bay. Complete with wild roosters (which seem to be all over the Island).

Sunday Service:
The hotel offers a non-denominational service. I also noticed several of the other hotels setting-up services. Westside Calvary Chapel is only 5 minutes up the road. Early service is in their new building & the late service is held down the road on one of the small beaches off Hwy 30.

Overall this is a nice Hotel and I wouldn't hesitate in staying here again.

After driving around most of the Island, I felt Kaanapali was the best place to stay on the whole Island.

I hope this info. helps with your trip.
Good luck.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dump1567
Reviewed July 16, 2009

Hawaii has always been my husbands dream location, and I was very concerned that he might have been disappointed.. I need not have worried, he just loved it, cant wait to plan our next visit. When we arrived in Maui we had the bad luck to get stuck in a bush fire. We were stuck on the road for eight hours. Boy were we fed up, I was with my husband and another couple. You can image how pleased we were to reach the Hotel, and what a Hotel. The staff were wonderful, every single one of them, Our room was beautiful. We relaxed as soon as we arrived there. The next morning we were greeted to a ceramony to welcome us to breakfast adttheir lovely Hotel. The entertainment was truely Hawaiian, and just what we were hoping to see. The food in the Hotel was great, but what ever you do, do not miss Sunday Brunch, Superb, we sat for two hours, the champagne flowed and the food, oh the food, something for everyone. All this time hawaaian folk music played. I have never cried before upon leaving a holiday, but after the very moving ceramony given to all guests as they leave, I couldnt help myself. We would definately go back to the Kannapali Beach Hotel on our next visit, it may not be the most up to date Hotel in Maui, but it is certainly the one with the most heart and the biggest welcome and the best of all, at least for us, the most Hawaiian.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hazmar
Reviewed July 15, 2009

This was our first time on Maui and we could not have chosen a better Hotel to stay in, to get the true feel of Hawaiian culture and hospitality. The staff were more courteous and caring than anywhere else that we have stayed and I am brimming over with admiration and love for them that I find it hard to put into words. My friends feel the same and we can't wait to return. This was our holiday of a lifetime and we could not have wished for a better destination. The rooms were excellent. They were clean and well furnished. Food was delicious, especially the champagne brunch. We were there when the Hawaiian guitar festival was on and it was amazing. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank NanSouthYorkshire
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Better ocean view than some more expensive hotels. A very pleasant surprise. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wary_Traveler_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Aston Kaanapali Shores
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Kaanapali Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!