“Perfect Beach, Great Hospitality and Amazing Tiki Bar !”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed December 18, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, Maui, for our honeymoon. This is a great bargain hotel ! The room is clean, the staffs are very friendly and helpful. We booked our flight and hotel via Travelocity. We paid for an ocean front room and received a confirmation from Travelocity. When we got there, Ka'anapali Beach Hotel didn't have our reservation. They called Travelocity and Travelocity couldn't even locate our hotel reservation. It took them more than 30 minutes to get back to Ka'anapali Beach Hotel and almost 24 hours to get our reservation faxed to the hotel. Because Travelocity messed up our hotel reservation, we were not able to get an Ocean Front room, but we did get an Ocean View room. Through all that, the hotel staff who was helping us was very patient, helpful and understanding.

The Tiki Bar at this hotel is the best in Kaanapali beach. I understood that guests from next door luxury hotels such as Marriott, Sheraton etc come to this bar to hang-out. Our favourite bar tender is Dale. His Mai Tai, Pina Colada and friendliness are worth flying 11 hours for ! The Sunday Champange Brunch is very affordable and the food is better than any 5-star restaurant. This hotel provides a live nightly entertainment. The band is great ! Rudy's voice is very soothing and give you that wow-my-vacation-just-got-better feeling . The room towels are a bit small and rough but I got over that in no time because the view from our 5th floor room is just breath-taking. We were thinking about staying at the Westin or Marriott, and were glad that we did not because the best spot on the Kaanapali beach is right in front of the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.

I will never do business with Travelocity again but my husband and I are already planning to return to the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel in May 2005!

• Stayed: December 2004
8  Thank FutureAstronaut
Write a ReviewReviews (4,334)

Reviewed December 14, 2004

Nice clean rooms, nice size bathrooms, beds alittle firm. We stayed the
week of Thanksgiving. This is a nice sized hotel, not too large easy to get around. I would definetly stay again. No problems, very satisfied.
We did a boat tour offered by save the whales for $20.00, couldn't ask for a better tour for the price. Went 2 hours and saw spinner dolphins and a small humpback, really nice people doing the tour. Just go down
to the docks in Lahaina at the far end (south).

Make sure you stop and have Rosealani ice cream, best I ever had...
Top Cat cafe has a great root beer float! (downtown Lahaina close to the Banyon tree) If you want to go shopping hop on a plane toOahu and visit the International Market Place..great deals.

Do make the trip to Hana and allow lots of time, stop at the Garden of
Eden and there is a small town of Keane and stop at the black beach.
Make sure you have plenty of gas and start trip by 8:00am. You do not want to go down in the dark.....617 curves.
Ate at Giovannis, was really bad pizza, they don't allow you in with out shoes.
Hope to go back to Maui again, but would probly get a place with a
kitchenette, food is too expensive and isn't all that great, and to have
breakfast and a lite dinner in your room wouldn't be that much of a fuss
especially after a few days of island food!

3  Thank BuggyChooChoo
Reviewed December 3, 2004

Wonderful memories and smooth service and convienence. There were no hitches and staff were all great. My best memory was how they handled my sweathearts birthday, not only taking a flower order, but the activities manager hand-made a lai with tradition birthday significance (inter-twined fern and tea flower). The breakfast service inclusion is not recommended (in the garden/drivway facing plain coffee-shop), but we were able apply our bkfst tickets to the resturant that is open to the ocean-side at rear. Interesting layout of 2 story motel-like but facing garden that opens to the ocean.

2  Thank jamestom
Alpharetta, GA
Reviewed November 29, 2004

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending a week at the KBH right before Thanksgiving. We chose to upgrade to an oceanfront room, and WOW, were we happy about that decision! The view from our room (#302 Molokai Bldg.) was AMAZING - day and night! There is nothing like waking up to the waves crashing on the beach and a view of Molokai and Lanai from your bed. I only wish we could have brought the view home with us. We did takea ton of pictures from the balcony, so I don't think we'll forget it anytime soon.
The hotel is quite cute. You'll feel like you literally stepped into an episode of the Brady Bunch when you arrive in the lobby. Fancy it's not, but it does have a certain charm and we felt right at home once we checked into our room. No, the rooms aren't top of the line furnishings, but they do make you feel like you are in the islands, and after all, isn't that why you're here? Everyone from the check-in person to the maids were very nice, and they always greeted us with an "Aloha" when we passed by them. Oh, and you will LOVE the coconut macadamia nut cookies they leave on your pillow each night with turn down service! My husband and I are avid travelers, and we have stayed in many overly nice luxury hotels (in fact we came to Maui after spending 3 nights at the Hilton Waikaloa on the Big Island), but we both loved our stay at the KBH and we hope to go back someday and ask for the same room. You can't beat the location of this hotel, right on the best strand of Kaanapali Beach. Who needs a giant pool with superslides when you have the beautiful Maui ocean right there? Take advantage of Black Rock snorkeling and check out the restaurants at Whaler's Village (especially Hula Grill, our personal favorite). If you don't want to sit in a dark hotel restaurant over breakfast, take a walk along the beach to the Marriott at the other end of the beach walk. They have great options for breakfast and you'll get some exercise while you're at it.
As one of the previous reviewers mentioned, the Kaanapali Beach Hotel is NOT the Ritz. Don't come here expecting ritzy rooms and people waiting on you hand and foot. But if you are looking for a beach escape to a beautiful location, think about choosing the KBH. Whatever you choose, have a wonderful vacation. It would be next to impossible to not have a good time in Maui....it's AMAZING!!!!!

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed November 25, 2004

Avoid the fakeness of this "Hawaiian hospitality" and certainly avoid the valets. After damaging my rental car, the hotel refused to take responsibility, which caused me hours of paperwork and some money. I wish that I had not chosen this hotel -- it is nothing special.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Madison, WI
Reviewed November 21, 2004

My husband and I just returned from Maui-we spent 4 nights at Kaanapali. Location is great-beautiful beach, great pool, loved the grounds. Our room was ok-older, could use some re-decorating, but the view was nice. You're really not in the room enough anyhow--
Fun little Tiki Bar, and Tiki Grill for lunch/snacks, etc. Nice jaunt up the beach to many other restaurants, bars, shopping, etc---we enjoyed ourselves immensely-and would go back in a minute! Maui was gorgeous!!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 2, 2004

If you read enough reviews about the same place on Trip Advisor, you'll start to notice trends. Throw out the ones that give a place one star because the sheets weren't 600 thread count, and also toss the ones that give it five stars because ANYTHING is better than where they live! Well, such is the case with KBH. If you read enough reviews, you'll see the same comments. No, it is not the Ritz-Carlton. If you want that, go stay in the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua! It's quite lovely, but you'll pay big bucks. Neither is KBH a run down used-to-be-nice resort. What KBH happens to be is an extremely laid back resort that does not trade on flash and glitz, but the warmth of ohana (family) and a truly perfect location. I went there the week of October 24 for my honeymoon and was so impressed. Here is the run-down as I saw it:

1.) The staff is super friendly and accomodating. Alan at the Guest Services desk is SO great and will go out of his way to take care of your needs. Also, every time you pass a member of the housekeeping staff, you are greeted with a smile and "Aloha!".

2.) Very clean rooms with nightly turn down service and cookies on your pillow! The rooms are above average at best. As someone else said, they are more Hampton Inn than Hilton. We were in the Maui Wing with a full ocean view. You're not right on top of the ocean, but you get a view of the immaculately kept grounds, the beach and Lana'i seems almost close enough to touch. I've read that some of the rooms have a musty smell. True. Remedy: open the lanai door and let the ocean breeze in. That takes care of that.

3.) Restaurants- honestly, we only really ate breakfast at the hotel (it was included in our package). Breakfast at the Mixed Plate was standard buffet fare. The restaurant itself looks like the only part of the resort that has not been updated since it was built in 1964! Not terrible, not great. The Tiki Terrace has a little bit nicer selection for breakfast and the view is better. There are so many great restaurants within a short walk at Whaler's Village, that if you don't like what KBH has, you're not far from stuff you probably do like.

4.) Tiki Bar in the courtyard- get a lava flow as often as possible. They taste like fruit smoothies but give you that nice tingle after about #3.

5.) The beach- this is why you came to Maui. KBH is on an absolutely wonderful stretch of Ka'anapali Beach, with the Sheraton and Black Rock to your right and The Whaler and, further down, Whaler's Village, to your left. The waves break gently right in front of the hotel (except during high surf warnings... watch out!)... not so gently just down the beach in front of the Hyatt. Bonus to the bigger surf break in front of the Hyatt: surfing! Drawback to bigger surf break in front of the Hyatt: surfboard to the head! Didn't happen to me, but almost! And with Lana'i to your left and Molokai to your right, you are in Sunset Central! Very clean beaches and plenty of room to stretch out. Oh, and if you've never set foot in the Pacific before... get ready for goosebumps. You get used to it, but that first dip is chilly!

Bottom line- remember that you probably came to Maui for the beach, the great Hawaiian culture and people and, most importantly, to relax. If you want to kick back and truly discover why KBH bills itself as Maui's "Most Hawaiian" hotel (as opposed to Maui's "Most Ostentacious" or "Most Activity Laden"), you have found paradise in paradise! If that's not your bag, there are plenty of other places from which to choose. In my book, though, Ka'anapali Beach Hotel no ka 'oi!

• Stayed: October 2004