“Love this hotel.”

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Love this hotel.”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is my third stay at Ka'anapali Beach hotel and really would not consider staying anywhere else. The location alone makes up for some of the complaints that I see voiced in other reviews. As to the complaints yes I do think the hotel needs to upgrade wifi services and yes they do need to work on sprucing up some of the dated appearance of the rooms. This being said the rooms were very clean we were in the Molokai wing and loved our lanai's partial ocean view. You are visiting Maui so you need to be out enjoying nature not spending time in the hotel room so flat screens and fancy rooms aren't worth what you pay at the other properties in Ka'anapali and yes I have stayed at the Marriot there and would pick KBH over it. What makes this hotel truly a joy to stay at is the lovely friendly employees and being so close to the black rock snokeling. The grounds are beautiful and I prefer lawns and trees to concrete. I did not take part in the lei making classes etc this trip but have in the past and enjoyed them. Breakfast buffet was wonderful and I am going thru food withdrawals I miss my quiche and pineapple. This hotel is not for everyone but if you have priced it out comparing the other options on this beach unless you just have money to burn this is the one to pick. Make sure you attend the farewell lei ceremony and become ohana with KBH.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scodkokno

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I'm saddened by some of the reviews I've read about KBH. We recently returned from our second trip to Maui and KBH and had a great stay. The staff is top rate and very hard working. It was comforting to see the the majority of the same staff when you return. The breakfast buffet was included in our rate. It had numerous choices and was outstanding. We enjoyed the FREE nightly entertainment. Sure there are some extras you have to pay for if you want them-internet being one of them. It's the same in Las Vegas. KBH never advertised as an all inclusive. We are already looking forward to a return trip next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sandra W
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We had a truly fantastic time staying on Maui, and felt very well looked after by the staff at KBH. The location is supreme, so very close to beautiful Ka'anapali Beach, where snorkelling by Black Rock is literally five minutes walk from your room. It is a reasonably quiet snorkelling spot, that seems made for residents of KBH. The Hawaiian cultural lessons offered by the hotel really should not be missed- you might feel a bit of a tourist turning up, but the staff make you feel like you belong on Maui, and you'll walk away wearing your beautiful Lei or humming along to Ukelele songs. Thank you Ka'anapali Beach Hotel for a truly fantastic, and really authentic hawaii vacation experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mackenzie R
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I am surprised at some of these reviews. My husband and I had a great time. Our room was nice, clean, and had a great view (partial ocean), and the grounds are beautiful. It wasn't a 4 or 5 star hotel with all the amenities, but it never advertised as such. The staff was wonderful, food was good at the restaurant and the outdoor grill, beautiful beach, close to whalers village. As far as charges for wifi and in-room safe, I found the charges reasonable. The other resorts charge a $25 per day "resort fee" to provide the same services whether you use them or not. I appreciated being able to decide what I wanted and pay individually for those. And I know resorts that charge way more for wifi. The charge for an umbrella and 2 chairs was $30 a day which is the same I pay at beaches in the states. I would definitely stay there again, and have already recommended it to several friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a partial ocean view on the third floor. This puts you high enough to see the ocean over th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Susan B
Painesville, Ohio
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

The entire staff was helpful and kind. The concierge staff in the lobby was especially helpful. They went above and beyond.
The welcome breakfast set the tone for the entire visit.
Delicious mango bread at the Sunday breakfast buffet. Would love to go back.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mary B
Buenos Aires
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I'll start by saying that I was a bit worried about this hotel.

Even though the general rating in TA is good, I've read some reviews stating that the positive ones are written by employees and relatives, and that when you get to the hotel you face mediocre facilities, dated rooms, etc.

Fortunately, that was not my case! We really liked the hotel, and here are the reasons:

Room: We got an Ocean View Room, which was very roomy. Two double beds, a round table inside with chairs, a closet which had a TV inside, a stand to put bags. Separating the bedroom from the bathroom there is a column with glass shelves, where you can find a coffee maker. It is true that the TV was not Flat panel, and the decoration didn't seem modern, but it was perfectly kept and Functional. And most important: Very clean. The air conditioning worked really well and you could set the temperature as desired.

The balcony was superb! It also had a table and chairs. Every morning we would have a quick breakfast there, with stuff we bought at Safeway or KMart, with a wonderful view of the grounds and the ocean.

There is also a small refrigerator, which in our case, did a great job! It even could freeze a couple of water bottles. If you can play Tetris, you'll end up taking advantage of it. We bought lots of food, juice, beer, soda, and we managed perfectly with the available space.

The Grounds: Perfectly kept grass, always people working to make it look beautiful. It was so nice to cross it to the room after a full beach day! In the middle, there's the Whale shaped pool, which is not so big, but perfect for us, being mostly beach people. We would take a splash in late afternoon, after the beach.

Food: We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, even though from our balcony saw lots of people lining up for it. We ate at the poolside restaurant (mostly fast food), which was pretty good and not expensive at all. My daughter loved their onion rings.

Parking: You pay a daily fee for parking, but it was very comfortable and never had a problem finding a convenient spot, no matter what time did we arrive.

Location: Ka'anapali Beach is such a wonderful place! Not crowded at all, huge beach, perfect ocean to spend hours in the water, and with Black Rock at a minimum walking distance! We really enjoyed our time there. You are also very close to Whalers Village, where you can shop, dine, or have a walk. The walk to Whalers Village really doesn't take more than 5 minutes, through the beachside path. For farther trips you'll need a car. Lahaina is a beautiful town, and just a minutes drive from the hotel. We did the Road to Hana, and visited the Nakalele Blowhole.

Recreation: There is a nightly Hula Show (which we would view form our balcony, prior to going out to Lahaina, or somewhere else), and I've seen posted that there are Lei making classes, Ukulele and Hula Classes, which I can't comment on, because we didn't do any of those.

Others: With our check in we were invited to a buffet breakfast. The invitation states that it is not a Time Share meeting. That is true. It is a presentation of all the activities the hotel sells (Road to Hana by bus, Whale encounter, helicopter flights, shows, etc.). We did not find it invasive at all, and you always have the option not to attend.

On your check out the hotel gives every family member a Kukui nut lei, in a nice ceremony and tell you that with every visit, they will add a new nut. Really nice.

What we didn't like much was the check out. We had a late flight (departing at 11PM) and gave us no option for a late check out. They did offered a Hospitality room, but it has to be booked for half an hour the same day of check out. Front Desk started taking reservations at 6 AM. As it is only one room offered on a first come first served basis, we had to put the alarm really early to try to get an hour that would suit our needs (annoying). When we approached the front desk to ask for the key (a couple of minutes early) it was not ready yet. To get to the room, you have to cross a great part of the grounds, so it is all time consuming. I know that maybe there is no obligation from the hotel to offer the room, but half an hour is not enough, more so considering you waste some minutes to get there. I think there should also be a public dressing room with showers, in order to have an alternative. I think it was because we had the last slot, that the lovely front desk lady seeing we were with our 2 daughters, told us to take an hour instead of half, which was really nice. Even with one hour, we barely made it.

Our key to get out of the parking lot was not working, and there was no one near to help us.

We had a great time, we loved the hotel, and we would probably stay again, should we visit Maui again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MX1977
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

This was my 4th time to Maui and my first time at the KBH. While the location is great and the staff is extremely welcoming, I will not be coming back to this hotel. We paid for an ocean front room and the most expensive room we could pay for at this hotel... It was not clean and there was a small hole in the bathroom where bugs came in and out of!! While on a walk, I noticed the wing on the other side of the grounds that is also ocean front (I believe the lanai tower) had more updated rooms with flat screen TVs... Why would they update half of the rooms that are ocean front and charge the same price?! Honestly, if you absolutely cannot afford staying on kaanapali elsewhere then it would be worth it for the location... But I will never again skimp on the hotel portion of my trip.

Stayed March 2014