“It really was the most Hawaiian Hawaiian hotel!”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for our honeymoon last year...ideal location, nice hotel, beautiful green gardens and the most stunning beach you will ever see. 10minutes walk to the Whalers Village along the beach front and just a short bus ride from Lahiana; everything is so close. We also rented a car for the drive to Hana - amazing jungle walks in search of waterfalls, beautiful jungle scenery and the friendliest people along the route...we even stopped at a small road side 'hut' (with a house behind) where the couple were selling home-baked banana cake and freshly prepared Golden Fruit from their orchard. I would strongly recommend this hotel over anything else we saw and experienced while on Maui.

Room Tip: Garden & sea view double room, very quiet & sunny.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AidaWalsh
Write a ReviewReviews (4,234)

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have stayed at KB Hotel four times.

Rooms, average or better, very clean and surprisingly large. Yes some are a little "outdated" , the hotel was built in the 60's. We like the rooms on the ground floor facing the pool and bar. As for bugs, we have not had a problem during our four trips here.

Pool, small by today's resort standards, but clean with ample room around it and on the lawn for lounge chairs.

Grounds, very nicely kept. They are constantly trimming-cleaning up etc...

Service, GREAT, repeat GREAT. The house maids could not be better.. In over 25+ nights stayed here we only had one minor problem with a room and it was corrected satisfactorily.

NOTE: when you arrive be prepared to ( not just here, ANY resort) wait for a room to be ready. Plan to spend some time at the pool, beach, walk or drive down to the shopping center etc... They WILL call you when your room is ready. It mystifies me why people get OUTRAGED when their room is nor ready at precisely 3pm. C'mon people, plan a little.

Hint: STOP AT COSTCO on the way there. Get munchies, snorkel gear, booze, beach gear etc...you will save $$$.

Location, no question here, GREAT. Enough said.

Food, ok, just ok.. Yes a little expensive, try the Sheraton or Hyatt then compare price..

Charges: parking, taxes, wifi ect.... Same as at EVERY other resort..

Conclusion:
If you are on a budget, ( like we are ) STAY HERE, if money is no object try the Weston, Hyatt or Sheraton. I believe the KB Hotel is a great value. Our last stay we got a great rate with rental car and breakfast and room upgrade around $220/night. Shop that around the near by hotels and get back to me.

The people here ARE extremely friendly and helpful. Also, plan your trip when the whales are wintering there, spectacular!

We are going back in Feb. See you there,

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank RH7772013
Reviewed November 16, 2013

As many of the TA reviewers say,this place is a bit dated but don't worry about that if you want great value for your dollar. We had the top of the range ocean view room,sure it is in need of a makeover but it was clean ,large ,tidy,comfortable with a great view right on the beach for probably half the price of the other hotels in the area,so we were happy.
We had breakfast included which was only average
The grounds of this hotel are as good as you can get,acres of well manicured grass and plenty of free beach lounges to lie on
It is right next to the Shereton which is the best spot on the beach
We will return

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bruce K
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I wasn't going to write a review... There are plenty that have been written but when I looked at the ones that said "wouldn't go back" or that the staff was rude, I had to write.

My husband and I just returned from a 4 day stay. The hotel is not the luxury spot. It is true that it is an older hotel that could use with some updates.. and it is true that there is no wifi but it is worth staying here.

We were greeted warmly upon arrival and promptly checked it. Our room was a water view on the 6th floor. The hotel rooms are all non-smoking but someone had been smoking up a storm. The room, while clean, reeked of stale cigarette smoke. We tried opening the windows but I couldn't stand it. A quick trip to the front desk and we had a new room. The staff were fabulous. They let us check out the room before switching, offered assistance with moving and could not have been nicer.

The rooms are a bit tired but comfortable. I loved being able to open the slider and leave it open at night. I could hear the surf from just a short distance away.

The rooms overlook the lawn, gardens and the pool. You can also see the water but if you want ocean front, like any place, you will pay extra. The Tiki bar and grill was good and I enjoyed the ahi burger.. very tasty!

Evenings had entertainment that we would listen to on the lanai. Neither of us went down to watch the entertainment, preferring a stroll on the walk or beach in the evenings.

Breakfast is on an open terrace and as a previous reviewer mentioned, the sparrows will hang around waiting for handouts.. They did not buzz us but when my husband went back to the buffet for something, the birds landed on the back of his chair checking out his plate. Rather than being freaked out, I thought it was kinda cute but I did have to chase them off as I am sure they would have started on his plate.

Upon checkout, there was a lei ceremony that we missed the start of but it was nice and we now have our leis ready for our next trip.

Overall this is an older hotel. Family friendly, comfortable and charming. I will return someday. Take a chance and stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CarrieB8212013
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This particular hotel is top notch if u r on a strict budget. Its super clean (with the exception of some ants) has a perfect location, nice place to eat (tiki grill is cheaper than the restaurant), amazing and super friendly staff, and good sized roons with comfy beds and tvs. I would definetly stay here again! U get a free breakfast presentation and buffet thefirst day of ur stay which is just great! And the day u leave u get a lei from the awesome staff. The only thing is that the hotels next to it(sheraton, westin, hyatt etc. ) have much nicer looking lobbies and rooms and much better pools. If u dont want to go to the pools tgan the beach is the same for all hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just got back from this hotel today. It definitely needs updating. The food a the Tiki Grill was terrible, the pool was not kept clean. When I arrived in my room,, there was sand on the bedspread. The hotel staff in the lobby had an attitude and were not very helpful when I had questions as I was traveling alone. When I asked the gentlemen at guest services to call my return shuttle for me he had an attitude like he didn't want to be bothered. Wouldn't you know that the shuttle never showed up for my pickup. I didn't like the fact that there was no security around as I had to walk to my room in outside hallways. I also asked help at the self check in for my airplane tickets as the computer was real slow. It took a while to get someone to help me. There was either not enough staff around or they didn't want to be bothered. Previous to this stay I had stayed at the Outrigger Reef in Waikiki and they helped me throughout my stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank lovestodance118
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Wow, Pat W. needs to get out of her room and enjoy the outdoors. This "Hawaiian" Hotel is not modern but it is clean!!! All staff is friendly. I've stayed here twice and loved the grounds being set back from the busyness of the beach path. Plumeria trees to give filtered sun if you burn easy. One pool is just fine, heck you're at the beach. I recommend this hotel highly.... unless you need a gaudy 15 story hotel with 6 pools and wifi. I come here to get away from Wifi. If you don't stay here, you should at least check out the nightly Hawaiian music at the Tiki bar area and the highlight of our trip aside from Hana & Haleakala etc. is the Sunday Brunch!!!! Best on the island......mmmmm

• Stayed: November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Aston Kaanapali Shores
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Kaanapali Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!