“Good hotel in great location”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed November 16, 2013

As many of the TA reviewers say,this place is a bit dated but don't worry about that if you want great value for your dollar. We had the top of the range ocean view room,sure it is in need of a makeover but it was clean ,large ,tidy,comfortable with a great view right on the beach for probably half the price of the other hotels in the area,so we were happy.
We had breakfast included which was only average
The grounds of this hotel are as good as you can get,acres of well manicured grass and plenty of free beach lounges to lie on
It is right next to the Shereton which is the best spot on the beach
We will return

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bruce K
There are newer reviews for Kaanapali Beach Hotel

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I wasn't going to write a review... There are plenty that have been written but when I looked at the ones that said "wouldn't go back" or that the staff was rude, I had to write.

My husband and I just returned from a 4 day stay. The hotel is not the luxury spot. It is true that it is an older hotel that could use with some updates.. and it is true that there is no wifi but it is worth staying here.

We were greeted warmly upon arrival and promptly checked it. Our room was a water view on the 6th floor. The hotel rooms are all non-smoking but someone had been smoking up a storm. The room, while clean, reeked of stale cigarette smoke. We tried opening the windows but I couldn't stand it. A quick trip to the front desk and we had a new room. The staff were fabulous. They let us check out the room before switching, offered assistance with moving and could not have been nicer.

The rooms are a bit tired but comfortable. I loved being able to open the slider and leave it open at night. I could hear the surf from just a short distance away.

The rooms overlook the lawn, gardens and the pool. You can also see the water but if you want ocean front, like any place, you will pay extra. The Tiki bar and grill was good and I enjoyed the ahi burger.. very tasty!

Evenings had entertainment that we would listen to on the lanai. Neither of us went down to watch the entertainment, preferring a stroll on the walk or beach in the evenings.

Breakfast is on an open terrace and as a previous reviewer mentioned, the sparrows will hang around waiting for handouts.. They did not buzz us but when my husband went back to the buffet for something, the birds landed on the back of his chair checking out his plate. Rather than being freaked out, I thought it was kinda cute but I did have to chase them off as I am sure they would have started on his plate.

Upon checkout, there was a lei ceremony that we missed the start of but it was nice and we now have our leis ready for our next trip.

Overall this is an older hotel. Family friendly, comfortable and charming. I will return someday. Take a chance and stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CarrieB8212013
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

This particular hotel is top notch if u r on a strict budget. Its super clean (with the exception of some ants) has a perfect location, nice place to eat (tiki grill is cheaper than the restaurant), amazing and super friendly staff, and good sized roons with comfy beds and tvs. I would definetly stay here again! U get a free breakfast presentation and buffet thefirst day of ur stay which is just great! And the day u leave u get a lei from the awesome staff. The only thing is that the hotels next to it(sheraton, westin, hyatt etc. ) have much nicer looking lobbies and rooms and much better pools. If u dont want to go to the pools tgan the beach is the same for all hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just got back from this hotel today. It definitely needs updating. The food a the Tiki Grill was terrible, the pool was not kept clean. When I arrived in my room,, there was sand on the bedspread. The hotel staff in the lobby had an attitude and were not very helpful when I had questions as I was traveling alone. When I asked the gentlemen at guest services to call my return shuttle for me he had an attitude like he didn't want to be bothered. Wouldn't you know that the shuttle never showed up for my pickup. I didn't like the fact that there was no security around as I had to walk to my room in outside hallways. I also asked help at the self check in for my airplane tickets as the computer was real slow. It took a while to get someone to help me. There was either not enough staff around or they didn't want to be bothered. Previous to this stay I had stayed at the Outrigger Reef in Waikiki and they helped me throughout my stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank lovestodance118
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Wow, Pat W. needs to get out of her room and enjoy the outdoors. This "Hawaiian" Hotel is not modern but it is clean!!! All staff is friendly. I've stayed here twice and loved the grounds being set back from the busyness of the beach path. Plumeria trees to give filtered sun if you burn easy. One pool is just fine, heck you're at the beach. I recommend this hotel highly.... unless you need a gaudy 15 story hotel with 6 pools and wifi. I come here to get away from Wifi. If you don't stay here, you should at least check out the nightly Hawaiian music at the Tiki bar area and the highlight of our trip aside from Hana & Haleakala etc. is the Sunday Brunch!!!! Best on the island......mmmmm

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 15, 2013

This hotel is older but in great shape and well maintained. Had no problem with the staff, room, cleanliness, etc. The main problem we had and because of this, we will not return to this hotel. We ate breakfast at the hotel each of the 4 mornings we were there. You sit outside under a canopy so the birds have easy access to where you are sitting/eating. There had to be at least 100 birds flying around you and your table at all times. We almost got hit in the head by the birds when they were flying around. When you were finished and left your table, the birds would then come over and start eating your leftovers. They were on the tablecloths and sitting on the backs of the chairs where of course, they would do their business. I was shocked and sickened by this whole experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!! Housekeeping night supervisor Michelle (if she told me her real name) was extremely rude she basically told me to find another hotel if I want clean towels, because I complained about their dirt stained towels that they provided two days in a row. When we arrived the first day the towels were dingy, so I didn't use them, luckily I brought my own face towels, but needed the large towels. On the second day, I thought what is going on, so I complained to Michelle, and she basically told me that we dirtied the towels and didn't read the sign in the bathroom that said place dirty towels under the sink even though I told her that the towels were provided by Housekeeping that afternoon and no one used them and folded them back up the same way they do and rehung them. My friend insisted on this hotel by a recommendation from AAA. If you want to enjoy your stay in Maui with a bug free room, clean towels and at least halfway decent customer service DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL! Do not be deceived by the low price, this hotel is not worth a nickel. If you can go some place else.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends