“Absolutely Wonderful”

Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Absolutely Wonderful”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Before arriving, I read mixed reviews about this hotel and was slightly nervous as to what we would find. I usually stay in 4 or 5 star resorts and was concerned Ka'anapali Beach Hotel wouldn't live up to my expectations. It's safe to say I had absolutely nothing to worry about.

The entire property is absolutely stunning. The grounds are perfectly manicured and the beach is pristine. It's in a wonderful location, you can walk down the beach to Black Rock for snorkeling and in the other direction to Whalers Village for excellent dining and shopping. The Tiki Bar and Grill were a great experience (food was pretty good, too!).

Our room was clean and very spacious - there were three of us in our room and we had more than enough room. Be sure to ask to stay in the Lanai wing! We were upgraded upon arrival to a partial ocean view, but it could have been classified as an ocean view. The beds were comfortable and the shower had great water pressure. They were a little outdated, but who spends all their time on vacation in their room?!

My only complaint would be the restaurant. We were disappointed in the food quality for expensive it is. I would recommend walking to other restaurants where the price is the same but the meal is twice as good.

Overall, it was an excellent and relaxing vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Amy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Located directly on Ka'anapali Beach. This hotel is clean and the staff is very friendly. The welcome breakfast is great and very informative. I stayed her with my wife and two teenage children, 13 and 15. You are steps away from Whalers Village and Black Rock is a short walk away for great snorkeling. Would definitely stay her again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FLYDL
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I just came back from 1 night stay at kaanapali beach hotel. Terrible experience, could not wait to go home. We arrived after 8pm, valet attendand wasn't there to park our car or help us with the luggage. Upon arriving to our room, we saw cockroach running thru the bathroom. Moldy smell. When I looked at the interior, I felt like I traveled back in time (70's). Room was outdated : old furniture, print on the bad spread made me dizzy, old carpet (I had to keep my shoes on for the rest of my stay), no flat screen tv ( just old school tv). This room looked like it belongs to a very cheap motel, not the hotel on Kaanapali beach Maui. Bathtub didn't exist. There is only small shower stall. Early in the morning we could hear guest in the room above us, and the hallway. Since we arrived late, I wanted to sleep in, which didn't happen. There is no wi-fi in the room. But you can connect to the Internet thru the cable if you are laptop user. If you have an iPad there is no way to get Internet connection. The ice backed was dirty and didn't have ice bag. Hotels facilities are poor. Small pool, there are no pool attendants (and no towels) or servers who would bring you a drink. Breakfast didn't impressed me either. Our table was in the tent where birds flying from one table to another. Our room key stopped working on the second day. There is no room service or fitness center. My advice: STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE if you don't want to ruin your vacation!

4 Thank Tati1234_13
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 14, 2013

The staff at KBH claim to be the "most authentic Hawaiian experience" for resorts in Maui. After staying for a week, I found this to be 100% true. It's possible to plan your entire trip through this hotel. They have staff on duty in the lobby to book and reserve attractions all over the island. The staff is engaging and friendly. My wife and I never walked past a staff member without being greeted.

Since it was our honeymoon, the hotel sent a bottle of champagne to our room. We also booked a magic show (Kupahana Magic Show, which was awesome) and were surprised with a special dessert and champagne toast for our honeymoon.

The hotel is in the perfect location. The black rock near the Sheraton is a fun place to jump off. There is also Whalers Village, a small shopping and restaurant town with great happy hour deals, less than 5 minutes south (walking). The beach is surprisingly NOT crowded, for being a resort beach. The waves at the beach are great for bodysurfing/boogyboarding. The grounds are well-maintained. It's truly a beautiful resort, not to mention the on-site tiki-grill and tiki-bar.

When we return to Hawaii, we won't even look elsewhere. We want to return to KBH.

Room Tip: The ocean-front rooms are worth the extra money. The view at sunset is absolutely stunning.
1 Thank Nathan W
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Having read the reviews, we were a bit nervous but it did the job nicely for us (Mum and Dad) plus 2 x 21 yr olds and a 16 yr old.

Great staff and plenty of activities to do right on the stunning beach. Walking distance to the local shops and Whalers Centre, as well as the bus top to Lahaina,

Would happily return for a low stress holiday.
Chris - New Zealand

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ChrisJohnW
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We just had our honeymoon at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, and we absolutely loved it. The biggest thing is that the staff are all so warm and welcoming- it really feels like a family-run place. They have a welcome breakfast the first morning you are there, where the staff sing and hula dance and they give recommendations for activities during your stay. In addition to the usual customer service desk, they have a desk where they will make activity reservations for you. The Tiki Terrace restaurant is amazing (best mahi mahi I have ever tasted) and there's also a grill, bar, and deli/convenience store on site. If you need anything else, there is a little shopping center two doors down with various stores and restaurants.
The beach is beautiful and you can rent cabanas, boogie boards, etc. (they have a reduced rate for guests). The nightly hula shows are different each day and should not be missed. We even tried the hula dancing lessons and it was fun- wish we would have tried more of the cultural activities.
The room decor was a bit dated, but charming- I loved the paintings of native birds and the view was very nice, and everything was clean and well-maintained. The bed was very comfortable. When we left, they gave us each a kukui nut lei as a 'welcome to our family' gesture. We were sad to leave- and if we can afford another Maui trip in the future, we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a Kauai building partial ocean view room (5th floor) and were very happy. You could see the o...
3 Thank Alanna_T123
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband, 2 grown children, & myself stayed here at the KBH in mid June, '13. It really had most everything you would want. We truly wanted an experience where we would be waited on, so therefore, no kitchenette, etc. ( I love to cook, but not on vacation!) However, we did have a "dorm room" sized refrigerator, which was perfect. We did wish that there was a microwave. Our rooms were #548 & 536. Both had great views of the pool and the ocean. We never did attend the breakfast or dinners at the restaurant, but we did frequent the Tiki Bar & Grill. The teriyaki chicken &/or Beef Skewers were both fine. The Fish sando was good, as well. We really wanted the whole "pool service" experience, but only got that on the one Friday that we were there, which was odd. We had heard that it was just the beginning of the "busy" season. Dale, who has been a bartender there for over 40 years, makes an amazing Pina Colada. Chantel was also super friendly and helpful. One thing that you might need to know in advance, which I learned about 5 days in, is that if you want your linens changed, you need to leave a note. Otherwise, its not happening. I think my biggest beef was that there was no bottled water in the vending machine. I really, really, need to keep hydrated! The grounds were lovely and the crew was amazing. Seriously PERFECT location. I loved the fact that there was a laundry facility. 1.75 per wash load & 1.75 per dry load. Detergent and fabric softener were $1.00 each per load. "Free" books on loan there, too!

Room Tip: I only say "poor" for fitness & room service because they are non-existant. FYI, the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family