“Great way to end our Hawaiian vacation”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We checked in for four nights, June 30-July 4 and frankly nervous given some of the recent reviews. We had already been to Oahu and Kauai and this place had a lot to measure up to. We were very pleasantly surprised. We immediately asked to stay in one of the newer wings and were given a free upgrade to the Kauai wing with a partial ocean view. The Hawaiian bedspreads were a nice touch. The free breakfast to hear about activites on the first morning was also a surprise. It was a full buffet not just coffee and Danish and the hotel staff performs for you. The beachfront is gorgeous but go early if you want to swim as the waves get intense and there is no barrier. The whalers shopping area is a short walk along the water. The first night we got there just as an amazing group of Hawaiian dancers was about to put on a show. It was a luau without the calories.
Back to the hotel. We didn't do any of the free classes but did hang out by the pool one evening. It was lovely. The rooms were well kept. One morning at the beach and you will see what the maids have to contend with with all the sand you drag in.
We rented a car which got us to nearby Lahaina and and also Paia.
All and all you can't beat the location. The staff was friendly and helpful. I am glad we stayed here.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Linda3057
Write a ReviewReviews (4,334)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I ended my trip to Hawaii at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel in Maui. I arrived around 10.30 am and check in was at 3.30 pm, so my room wasn't ready yet. The Front Desk staff was very friendly and offered me a courtesy room to change into more comfortable clothes. The hotel is located on a beautiful beach and close to the Whaler Village. About 10 minutes away by car you can find all kinds of places to eat, from Taco Bells to McDonalds. The place to be for shopping is Front Street. A nice street along the ocean, with lots of different types of shops and restaurants. The room was nice. I got an upgrade from a Garden View to an Partial Ocean View. To the left were the mountains, to the right, the ocean. Nice views. I definitely will stay at this resort again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Carolina080773
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My family loved the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. The grounds are beautiful and there are so many things to do. My daughters took three different lei making classes and enjoyed them so much. Plus they made their own souveneirs to bring home. The hula class was lots of fun, even for the men in the group. If you stay here, you have to sign up for all of the free Hawaiian cultural classes. They really are fun and only last about 30 minutes each so they don't take too much away from your pool/beach time. The pool is super nice - so nice in fact that there were lots of people from other resorts coming down to use the pool at the Ka'anapali. That was a little annoying when the pool was crowded, but I guess there is no real way to police that. Overall, I would definately recommend as a great place to stay on Maui's west side.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at many places in Maui. Was this the nicest hotel out of all of them? No. It is rather old fashioned; and the decor could use updating. But I'll tell you why I gave it four stars.

First of all, we were celebrating our 20th anniversary; we noted that in our reservation, and also reserved an ocean-front room. We requested as high a floor possible, away from the elevators. When we arrived to check in, the front desk was really nice and helpful, and they told us Happy Anniversary. They immediately gave us exactly the type of room we requested - there was no getting there, finding out we were in a disappointing room, and having to do the room shuffle (this happens all the time at Grand Wailea, which is a super nice hotel - they always stick you in the worst room possible until you complain and ask to be moved). I really appreciated that you could reserve an ocean front room, and actually get an ocean front room... ours literally was probably within 50 feet of the ocean. Our patio chairs looked out directly over the beach, it was right below us. And when we arrived in our room, there was a bottle of champagne with glasses waiting for us - just for our anniversary. We didn't specifically ask for this; they just did it. It was really lovely.

Secondly, this place is VERY quiet and old school. There are literally lawn chairs laying all over the grounds, on the grass lawn. At first I wondered why they were there, but then one day my husband and I plopped down in them to rest a bit - and ended up whiling away an afternoon there, relaxing. There's no rush, no hurry. The ocean is right there. The grounds, while not highly decorated or amazing, are well maintained, green, and relaxing.

You are also within easy walking distance of Black Rock, so we walked over there and snorkeled every day. In the area right in front of the hotel, the ocean is a bit wild, so you have to be really careful of the riptide of you get in at certain locations - it's not like Wailea where you can walk in anywhere and not worry about currents. Here, you do need to be careful. But at Black Rock, the snorkeling, although crowded at times, is pretty good.

The outside bar area had live music every night we were there. The bar drinks and food were not the greatest, for sure, but we really enjoyed sitting down for a bit every night and just hanging out and checking out the bands and music - all playing old-style Hawaiian music, of course.

And although the hotel decor in the public areas can be somewhat dated, I thought the rooms themselves were nicely furnished and clean (at least in the upgraded ocean-front room we had). The beds were really comfortable, and I have a hard time sleeping in many hotel beds - but not this one. And it was very quiet, another thing I appreciated because i am a light sleeper.

So yes, although it's old-school, I did give it 4 out of 5 stars. I would definitely go back there if I wanted a vacation where I could just have down-time and relax. I thought it was a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Spend extra to get the ocean-front room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank female_wanderer
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Great Staff. Great hotel. Clean. Sleeps well. Great Activity desk (Mikala). Great location. Great views. We will stay hear again. This hotel has done a wonderful job integrating and sharing the Hawaiian culture.

1  Thank Mike B
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The seven nights we stayed were just great, with good service by the entire staff. Very friendly and very responsive.
Having read the reviews posted, I was nervous about going to this hotel. When we arrived, I was so glad that we went to this hotel. It is really under-rated.
I had booked this hotel for a family reunion of sorts, with my adult children joining us. Three rooms, with two of them adjoining on the first floor, and a third room on the top floor closest to the ocean. All three rooms were very well maintained, the cleaning staff were prompt, quiet, and very reliable. And the LOCATION...was absolutely beautiful.
I am not a novice to travel. I have practiced law for 35 years, my son is a family physician, my daughter-in-law is an architect, my daughter is a med student, my youngest daughter is still in high school, and my wife is a retired professor at a major university who traveled extensively worldwide in her work at the university. I have written very few reviews for any establishment, and only when I really felt strongly about it. This place is simply a very, very good place to stay in one of the most beautiful locations anywhere.
I rented a cabana for the week, so the kids had a place to hang out on the beach with some shade if they wanted, and the staff at the Trilogy beach shop helped take care of them there. We rented snorkel gear, and the kids (ages 32 through 16) took paddle-board lessons on surf boards, all located within 40 feet of the hotel. Towels at the beach...all we needed. Boogie boards. Cabana set up for them each day.
We were only a short drive from Honolua Bay and Kapalua Bay (both worth seeing) and the Ka'anapali Beach is gorgeous. (Beware of tides at all of the beaches, depending upon conditions. The hotel warned us of tides with appropriate signs and warning phone calls during the few hours the surf kicked up. Yes, riptides are real.)
The restaurant was very good for breakfast. The show every night was very similar and typical Hawaiian entertainment. We did not do the magic show, but many did and gave it good remarks. (We spent our time getting together at various restaurants within walking distance and did not do shows at any of the hotels.)
Why are you going to Maui? If you are going to relax, enjoy clean rooms at night, a nice pool for times when the ocean is not friendly or when you want freshwater rather than saltwater, a friendly staff, good connections with local fun things to do (we did horseback riding, but there were several options for ziplines, air excursions, etc.), and if you want an absolutely gorgeous beach really close to your room with all the beach amenities one would would ever want or need, this really is the place.
It does not have a business center, but only two computers off of the lobby. In-room connectivity was available. (I was going to Maui for vacation, and did not bring my work computer on purpose, so I did not connect. My son's electronic devices to keep up with his medical practice requirements worked fine from what I could tell.)
It does not have a physical fitness center, machines, etc. (With the beach right there, and with hiking in Haleakala National Park on the island, I did not want to spend time in a room with mirrors or windows. I did the road to Hana, plenty of hiking available, plenty of natural pools to swim in, plenty of places to ride bicycles (although be careful of the automobile drivers when on a bike going down Haleakala).
Is this place as "plush" as some other resorts? Not really. I checked out some of the other resorts while we were walking and driving around the area. The Ritz, some of the other chain hotels, have more interesting architecture and more plush lobbies with built-in shopping areas with expensive shops.
But this place only requires walking a 5-minute stroll down a beautiful beachfront walkway to the Whalers shopping area with nice restaurants and expensive shops.
And it is close enough to everything on West Maui to enjoy it all. We did the Old Lahaina Luau that was a really good show, good food, open bar, great last night together with the family.
We also really enjoyed the local craftspeople and artists that rotated throughout the week each morning in the lobby and in the garden, featuring authentic, locally produced art and carvings and as we learned at competitive prices. It just added to the Hawaiian feel and touch.

Room Tip: We were in the wind on the south side, closest to the ocean, and had really nice rooms. Our son'...
5  Thank FredfromOhio
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here in June 2013. The first room they gave us was in the Molokia wing. I was shocked at the condition and size of the room. The Molokia wing is similar to a roadside motel that rents rooms by the month in Las Vegas. I was ready to leave the property and stay somewhere else. It was absolutely horrible. Scum and dirt build up in every corner, stained carpet I would not even let me kids enter the room. They moved us the the other side of the hotel it was only slightly nicer still not clean enough for my standards. We watched several other people walk with their luggage to the Molikia wing only to storm back to the front desk. The pool is a small whale, the Tiki Bar food was just a notch above McDonald. The breakfast buffet was horrible even if it was free I would never eat the breakfast buffet again. The plus side of this hotel was the location. They should not be allowed to call themselves a hotel this is a motel in an amazing location.

Room Tip: Do not allow yourself to be booked in the Molokia wing.
2  Thank Candylandranch