Kaanapali Beach Hotel
$287
$275
$299
$219
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$219
Orbitz.com
$1,225
Hotels.com
4,521 results
All reviewshawaiian hoteltiki grillhawaiian culturefarewell ceremonykauai wingkukui nutwhale shaped poolblack rockhawaiian activitiesnightly hula showwhalers villageterrace restaurantother hotelskaanapali beachfree entertainmentan older hotelhula lessons
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent stay at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. We arrived far in advance of check-in, yet were graciously offered a room. It was on the ground floor, and included a "lower level" 3 steps down from the main room that had a twin bed and table/chairs. My daughter quickly took this over as "her room" and it was so handy! Through the sliding glass doors to the porch overlooking the grounds and pool. The staff were very kind and helpful. My daughter loved the Kid's Passport activities and made it a mission to collect all of her gifts. She learned her given Hawaiian name and its meaning, and even found a keychain in Lahaina with it that she purchased as a souvenir. It is these small touches that make this hotel unique. We enjoyed learning about the management's community and cultural endeavors, revealing a commitment to "giving back." The traditional Hawaiian crafts classes are an extra pleasure as my daughter and I had a chance to learn how to make leis. I enjoyed the nightly Hawaiian music and hula shows, free and casual on the grounds. Very inviting and soothing. The gift of a Kukui lei upon check-out is a nice ending to an experience, not just a hotel stay. Yes, some of it is totally touristy, but in a low-key sweet way. After all, I come to the islands to feel the essence of the Hawaiian culture and traditions so being around them in whatever capacity is fun. My only complaint would be the over-priced, uninspired breakfast buffet...I would think with little effort the kitchen manager could add some new dishes. Flies and birds are always problems with outside eating, but perhaps more of an effort could be expended to control them. Thanks for a wonderful visit - we will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank robspetal
Reviewed April 19, 2013

First time staying at this hotel in Maui. I like the Lahaina area and this hotel (along with several others) iare on one of the nicest beaches in the area. We stayed April 6 - 11 and the resort and beach were relatively quiet. Most kids are back at school from spring break and this is just before what we typically call the vacation season for families. That being said, the hotel is okay, no jacuzzi, the pool is clean and warm - towels need to be handed out in two locations not at the back of the property near the start of the sand - rooms are in need of some updates - strange smell on the second floor where we were - they had blowers/fans when we checked in near our room - I am assuming an over-flow toilet or funky water smell. The four stars are for the incredible location. The coupon buffet breakfast is very good - anything you could think of to drink or eat. We never had a problem renting a lounge chair on the beach from the hotel. Not very busy and the water during this time of the year is still warm. Surfing is really not good here so go else where if you want lessons. Hotel is in walking distance to Whalers Village and some great restaurants. The beach is beautiful and for the most part not "rocky" in front of the hotel. Great snorkling in front of the Sheraton Maui - Sea Turtles swimming in between swimmers! However, this area is a bit rocky but your prime location for looking at some interesting sea life. We also spotted humpback whales from the shore!. Interesting note - some vacation cliff jumpers in this area. Don't try this unless you have swim footwear. For breakfast CJ's Deli in Kaanapali near the golf course is a winner. Relaxing and fun menu - Great for breakfast and not at hotel prices! Order a take out picnic lunch for the beach and you have saved money and time. Side note: Car rental returns are a incredibly slow - take that in to account if have a early return flight - you will need extra time.

Room Tip: We had a pool view and there is enough space between you and the pool with the lawn and trees that you will not hear the noise for the pool. Incidentally - the pool was usually quiet and not busy at night. You will not be staying in your room because the grounds have so many chairs and lounges (with shade from trees) that you will want to grab your bathing suit and book and utilize the amenities.
1  Thank tigerorangecounty
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is the 4th time we have stayed at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel with our family. This time we also brought two sets of grandparents along with our 2 teens. OK - this is not a fancy hotel... you need to know that up front. No waterslide, no fancy amenities - no WIFI in the rooms (and a $10/day fee for the use of it out in the garden/lobby area). The best reason to stay here is that it is mellow. They have a big lawn with lots of shady areas, a very low key atmosphere, no strutting thong-clad women or macho guys playing volleyball. The rooms are older and not luxurious - but they are right on the beach and right next to the pool. You don't have to walk through a maze of a lobby and poolside area to get there, you can run in and of the pool and beach out all day. The beach is steps away, with showers to rinse off and then you can plop in the pool again. There is a little hut for burgers/hotdogs/salad and you can eat in the garden, poolside or at tables in the area. For us this is the perfect setup. Again, the rooms are not fancy and somewhat dated. We had a toilet back up and a few in our hallway were backed up as well. The staff is older and frankly slow moving - but they are not constantly looking to upsell you or get tips for every little thing. Life here is slow and mellow. If you have little kids the pool is really easy for them with a shallow end to hang in. It is not very crowded, and again, no volleyball/basketball teens hanging around or people drinking/carrying on poolside. I was worried my teens would be bored, but they enjoyed the downtime from how competitive high school can be. If yours are into that scene and would rather be in a more active environment, this isn't a good choice for your stay. Can't imagine single people would like it either - seems like a place for families - lots of kids/grandparents. Great place if you are in a wheelchair, as the gardens are easily accessible. Whaler's Village is just a short walk - and our kids went there on their own for frozen yogurt and pizza a lot. We had a few nice dinners there as well.

4  Thank SeattleTravelmomm
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights.

Cons: one and a half hours to get the Budget rental car, we waited for six shuttles and once we got to Budget it was another wait. This is the agency KBH uses with their hotel specials.
Front desk made mistakes that are easily avoided. We upgraded for a better room from the nonsmoking room and she did not clarify the upgrade was to a smoking patio on the floor we changed too. When we requested a non smoking room it would have been important to clarify the change. We got to our room settled in and our Neighbor started smoking a cigar wind blow it into our room. It was nasty. We had to call and move again aster the already long delay at Budget (which we me we use). They moved us to the nonsmoking building after a while. Why she even put us in a smoking building from nonsmoking I still don't understand.

We asked the day before we left about the hospitality suite for the next day. I was told to just call in the morning. I did call and was told the test of the information that was left out. They give away the slots in 30 minutes starting at 6:00 with a first come availability. That would have been good to know the day before when I asked.
When we left the have us the car rental voucher that said we had an upgrade and a late fee, which we did not. Budget too care of us correctly.

At the beach shack I had the hick ups for about 30 minutes so I asked for a small cup of water, I could see the water cooler. The girl told me there was a vending machine around the corner or just hold my breathe and went back to doing nothing. She also refused to rent a stand up board to us but rented it to someone else a few minutes later.

No way to take bath it would not plug so in stead of a cap they told us to use a towel to stop it up. I think that could be fixed very easily but they seemed to be aware of it with the towel suggestion.

Pros:
Location at the beach with great surf perfect for body boarding and paddle boarding when not too windy. We called 808 boards to get a board it was way cheaper and they are really nice.

The Bellmen Jai and Ron. They helped us with directions, places to eat ( that did not cost as much) chatted about surf and gave great advice over all. They were the best part of the Hotel!!!

Great location for taking Trilogy morning snorkel trip, just walk to the beach shack.

The grounds are so well cared for it is beautiful to sit on the deck and enjoy the view. In thee endings the live music was something we enjoyed hearing.

I would suggest valet parking so you can chat with the Bellmen. $2 a day and tips are well worth what you get in return.

Breakfast with three adult charges and a child even with the two coupons was not worth it. Stop at Safeway and save some money. The Sunday brunch was a nice layout of types of food just come later to cover you for breakfast and lunch. It is a heavy lunch and expensive for just a breakfast even with the vouchers, but the kids liked it!

Giant checker board was a fun activity on the grounds.

I think that's about it.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank passion4people
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We spent a great week at this hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful, the grounds are expansive and the beach is great - with a few minute walk to black rock and great snorkeling right off the beach. Entertainment was fun, the brunch was good and the room large and with a great view.

Internet connectivity is not great or I would have given this place a 5 - the rooms have wired access that was inconvenient. A hard place to work, but perhaps intentionally so, because everything and everyone we interacted with helped create a friendly, relaxed environment. We would stay here again, and recommend this place highly.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room.
1  Thank PowayMarty