“Dibs!”

Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed February 26, 2013

“Hawaii’s most Hawaiian hotel” I have to admit, I had no idea what this meant when I booked my vacation, but it sounded nice. I promised myself that I would keep an open mind and relaxed attitude.

We booked a partial ocean view room, and were given a room on the ground floor. My wife and I exchanged glances which said “I’m not sure about this” but we dropped our bags, crossed the room to the small sunken sitting area and threw open the curtains and lanai door. Our daughter immediately scampered out onto the lawn while we gazed across the lawn and pool area and on to the beach as seen through the trees. We shared a look of relief as we realized that the entire lawn was our lanai!

I’ll try to make this review short enough to digest:
Pros:
1. Cost is lower than the neighboring hotels
2. Location is excellent, with a very swimmable beach and a 5 minute walk to Whaler’s
3. The staff are fantastic
4. Big, clean, but admittedly dated rooms come with a kid’s bed in the sitting area
5. Cocktails at Tiki Bar are reasonably priced at $9.00 ($6.00 for the drink of the day)
6. “Cabanas” (2 loungers with an accordion shade) are $20 for a half day, and will be placed wherever you direct. We enjoyed them more than we anticipated!

Cons:
1. No room service –but you can call in orders for pick up at the Tiki Grill
2. No poolside service – but you are maybe 30 yards away from the Tiki Bar, and nobody cares if you wander around with a drink that you made in your room
3. The pool is not heated very well
4. The tubs drain pretty slowly, and the water pressure is very strong, so you stand in some water when taking a shower – I didn’t find this to be a big deal.

I’ve stayed everywhere from 5 star down to hostels, and this place seems like a good fit for my family. I think I now know what they mean by “Hawaii’s most Hawaiian hotel”. It’s all about the staff! The aloha attitude which can seem so forced in the higher end establishments was palpably genuine here throughout our stay. It was like talking to old friends instead of salespeople.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Zack_in_CA
Write a ReviewReviews (4,234)

Reviewed February 25, 2013

From the friendly front desk staff(Daisy) to the Lai farewell this was a great experience.
We had a partial ocean view on the 4th floor of the Maui wing which looked over the pool & gardens, with a view of the ocean through the trees. We had a non smoking king bed room that was very spacious with a dinning table & 2 chairs along with a large wicker chair & day bed. The lanai was a good size with lots of room for 2 chairs & small table.
The location is between Black rock(snorkeled every day) & Whalers Village .The gardens are mature with lots of grass & room for lounge chairs.
We ate at the Tiki Terrace twice & found it to be tasty & reasonably priced.
We found the hotel to be well maintained & very clean.
The only thing that we didn't like was that there is no WiFi in rooms just cable also no free internet at all on property
The nightly free hula show was well worth at least one visit.
Would definitely go again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank robzo
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel is relatively small, and in a great location with a swimmable beach. Rooms have a mini-fridge, which is really a big plus. A full breakfast and rental car were included in our package, which made it an amazing value for Maui. Hotel staff hold true to the spirit of Aloha, very friendly and hospitable. It was clear that there were many returning guests, especially reunions of families and friends. It is easily withing walking distance of restaurants and shopping, and a short drive to Old LahainaTown.

Room Tip: We booked a partial ocean view room, and got one on the second floor of the older hotel building. Th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JK P
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My first trip to Maui and the hotel location was great for my Mom and I. Our room was on the ground floor and had french doors that led to small patio that still allowed us to see some of the ocean and the pool and landscape. We were comfortable and were treated well. Being close to the Whalers Village and having the free shuttle was an added plus as we were able to travel to Whalers Village where we took advantage of the shopping venues and the eateries. Also, we attended the luau at the Sheraton. Again, the shuttle was a godsend since my mother was not able to walk very far. What was very enjoyable for us was the access to local cultural activities right on the grounds. We attended the native plants and medicinal herbs session. We toured the hotel grounds and was introduced to the various plants, some of which were historically used for healing, making salves, etc. We were told that this hotel was the last authentic hotel that maintained its Hawaiian history as opposed to the Polynesian culture. To sum up this review. It met all our expectations and contributed to my Mom telling me she wanted to move to Maui. I was very sorry I couldn't make that happen for her. This stay in Maui guaranteed that we would be returning soon for a second visit.

Room Tip: Ground level is perfect if climbing are walking present a problem to anyone.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 195Travelqueen3
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed here for our Christmas vacation. We loved it! The hotel is clean and the staff is so friendly. The location on Ka'anapali Beach is what makes this so spectacular. The beach is gorgeous, snorkeling at black rock is great, walk the path along the beach to Whaler's Village to shop and eat, right next door is a great Luau at the Sheraton, rent gear for water activities right on the beach, take a short drive to Lahaina to shop and eat or go on excursions. We want to go back soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank redfitgirl
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Seven days at this resort & every minute was relaxing. B-fast included & all other amenities were more than adequate. Rip tide was in so careful was how you approched the ocean. Nice beach although beach 'brellies & cabanas were expensive. Lots of loungers around the pool/ lawn area. Two doors walking from the Whaler's Village...shopping & restaraunts. Two great looking golf coures available. Unfortunately didn't get to try them out due to one of our party sustaining an injury. From our room on the sixth floor (top) we could watch the whales play offshore. Only black mark on our stay was the indifferent attitude to guests that we received from our conierge. He obviously thought he was better the the masses & treated inquires as an intruion on his time. Very rude man. Would have asked the housekeepping staff for advise befroe we asked this guy a second time. Need to cut him loose for someone who cares.

Room Tip: Pick the west facing building & the top (6th) floor for the best views. Our room was # 649
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Overall we had a nice stay here and I would stay again. It is a great value for Maui, where hotel rooms can run $400+. The location is awesome - right on the beach and walking distance to Whaler's village. The pool and courtyard area are very beautiful and we enjoyed the nightly shows. The building and rooms are a bit dated, but I don't care about this. The walls are thin and I could hear my neighbors often. We did the breakfast package and I do not think the price of including the breakfast was worth it. The food (besides the fruit, which was very yummy) was mediocre and the same thing every day. Also, the breakfast coupons do not cover the Sunday brunch...you can use them for a $17 credit for the brunch but it is over $40 so you still have to pay a lot and we didn't want to pay that much for brunch. I recommend not doing the breakfast package and stocking up on breakfast stuff at Safeway or going to CJ's across from the golf course. We enjoyed our stay overall and the value was excellent for Maui.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Aston Kaanapali Shores
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Kaanapali Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!