“Attempts to be upscale but misses the boat...”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 5, 2011

I've travelled all over - I'm a 1K flyer each year and have stayed is some swanky places. I'm 32 and been to Hawaii 8 times. I'm trying to demonstrate that I'm not a novice. This trip was my first to Maui though and I booked late - we ended up at the Hyatt for the day after Christmas - Jan 3, 2011. First thing, yes it is a hectic week. Regardless, the first day that we went to the pool it was chaotic. The hot tub had about 15 children in it...more like a toilet bowl. There weren't ANY chairs and there weren't attempts being made to assist the clearing of towels 'holding chairs'. My boyfriend got the 'all you can golf' package at the golf course across the way. It's not too long of a walk (10-15 minutes), but with clubs? There wasn't a shuttle or transportation offered. I ordered an omelet one morning - 40 minutes wait in the restaurant! For an omelet? It just seemed like we were lost in the shuffle without any attempt to provide those 'things' that make spending $3500 (plus the 2k for food/golf/etc.) worth it. Oh, the the cost of food is silly, but I'll forgive that because it is typical in Hawaii/resorts. But HERE IS THE WORST PART: we paid $300 for the New Year's Luau. I've been to 2 great luaus before in Kona...this was a JOKE> it started at 9PM (VIP was sold out so we were general admission) so we got there at 8:30. We couldn't even find the end of the line...HUNDREDS of people in it. We stood (me in heels) waiting until 9:30 without the line moving. We then decided to abort and went to the onsite restaurant and ate, had a drink THEN walked back to the Luau. We walked in, sat at a table (no decorations, nothing to make it nice) and our table STILL hadn't been called for the trough...I mean buffet! It was 10:30! We went over to look at the food - cheap slop. We were so far away from the stage (nice tree in part of my view) that it was worthless. We simply left. So, after the $100 at the restaurant and this $300...awesome night. I have to say, this resort simply goes through the motions and hopes you remain happy because of the view and the fact that you are in Hawaii. It's a pretty dated hotel though our room had been remodeled. Oh, and though the ocean is in front of the hotel, you have to walk down a ways to access sand/beach. If you can get a cheap deal and lower your expectations then stay here. But if a week trip for $5500 (hotel bill total) comes with expectations of luxury - go to the Ritz or Four Seasons or a boutique hotel.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

Just spent ten nights at the Hyatt Regency Maui. Here's the lowdown. Grounds are nice. Rooms are comfortable but dated. Food is terrific (and I never say that). Service is also great. Spa is great. If you want to be right on the beach this is not the place as the beach has eroded. The setting is fine just no beach. We were there for the holidays and it was packed. They do not have many umbrellas (only the stationary kind). That is a major problem if you are not a total sun worshiper. They have towel cards which is tacky and they ask you to wear a wristband which I refused to do. Those are the only negatives. Its not a Four Seasons or Ritz but it is a four star resort. The service was tremendous and friendly. The food for lunch came quickly and unlike the Carribean it was not just adequate it was really good. Prices were reasonable by NY standards. The Japanese Restaurant which had just opened was gorgeous and the food terrific. Service was as expected for the third day of a restaurant. The concierge people were all great as were the folks at the front desk. We stayed on the club level and the breakfast and cocktail hour were good. Alcohol is not included which I have never seen at any chain for the club. Driving on Maui is easy and valet was only $15 a day. The rooms had flat screen televisions but small bathrooms with shower curtains. They were clean and comfortable. All of Maui closes up at 10:30.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank DifficultNY
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This was our 2nd time staying at the Hyatt Maui. Hubby used points (so I can't judge as to normal 'value') as a Diamond Club member, Costco vouchers and discount from AAA and they gave us a 1 bedroom suite at about 1/3 the going rate, overlooking the beach (not just ocean 'view') as close as one can get!

The bed this time was ok. In 2009 we had a HORRIBLE mattress. Not what we had when we were at the Grand in San Diego--I would have purchase it if I could have flown it home!

They are a classy operation and we always felt well taken care of. Their Regency Club room was delightful.

WONDERFUL Luau and stage show!

Would we go back? In a heartbeat!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Customer Service Representative at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2011

Dear OregonCoastLover1:

Thank you for your review in regards to your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I’m excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us again! I’m glad you had fun at the Luau the hotel presents to its guests. We look forward to having you back with us again!

Reviewed December 28, 2010

This is the best holiday we ever took as a family. The most beautiful surroundings imaginable and so much to do. Great hotel, lovely spacious and clean rooms, great amenities, shops downstairs, unbelievable pool - you know those cliched pictures you see of Hawaiin sunsets through the palm trees? They're real! Very helpful staff can organise anything for you and we didn't have one problem. We found parking for our hire car no problem so we could get to Lahaina.

If you were older and not able to walk it would be a little tricky to do the gorgeous walk each day to the Whaler's Village to eat at the delightful Leilani's or Hula Grill and shop at the lovely shops, but for us it was a lovely part of the day walking along the perfectly manicured lawns and landscaped gardens to the village.

We went to the Hyatt Luau which was delightful - went Whale watching (wish I'd booked earlier for the Catamaran but the giant Pacific Whaling vessel was good too - so don't miss out in whaling season), my husband and daughter learned to surf which they saw was the highlight of the trip - both took to it well and want to carry on surfing now.

Even though the weather on all the other islands was bad, we had one rainy day out of the 9 we had in Lahaina at the Hyatt - just perfect! The only regret was not doing the sunrise tour to Haleakala but the weather was cloudy around the mountains when we wanted to go - so another reason we will have to return.

The Penguins, flamingoes, swans and parrots etc keep everyone amused and I was delighted to pick up some stunning prints from the resident artist, Anthony Carnabuci. I wish I could have taken his paintings home but I will love to see these to remind us of a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Customer Service Representative at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2010

Dear heather1997:

Happy New Year! Thank you for your review in regards to your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. It sounds as though you really enjoyed your time, and the surroundings at the hotel. I’m glad the employees were able to assist you and make you feel at home during your time with us. I’m happy to hear the weather cooperated with you as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed December 28, 2010

I spent a week in this fabulous hotel! I really enjoyed it and would go back immediately!!!
Very nice and spacious rooms with balcony. The restaurants offer a large variety of food. During the day you even have a small "marketplace" where you can buy snacks. The prices are really reasonable!
Great beach location, however, to visit the Island you have to get up early from time to time.
Parking free, free wifi in the room
Great fitness-center: you'll find everything you need, view to the sea

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo

Dear smilix:

Happy New Year! Thank you for your review in regards to your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I’m glad you enjoyed the room that you stayed it. It sounds like it was quite the experience you had while you stayed with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed December 26, 2010

Stayed for 6 nights in December 2010. The resort is nice with very friendly service, but the rooms are dated even after the renovation. However, it's clean and safe. They just need to replace some of the old furnitures and update the carpet and apply a new coat of paint. The appliances and bathroom needs major upgrade. The building looks very 80ish from outside and inside. The landscape is beautiful. Prices are fair since everything in Maui is overpriced anyway. The food is not bad, but needs to be more creative with the breakfast. It's exactly the same everyday and when you're paying $34 per person, you expect the menu to be a bit more refreshing.

The room has a large wide flatscreen TV with internet access. We got the deluxe full frontal ocean view room. It's nice and clean, but agree with others that the bathroom is small and needs some major plumbing upgrade. There's no hot water at all. It's only luke warm or sometimes it suddenly turns cold. Complained about this and they send someone to look at it, but the problem couldn't be fixed immediately since it involves major overhaul of the boiler to keep up with the demand. Fortunately, Hawaii is warm enough to take cold shower, but this is unacceptable considering it's a Catagory 6 Hyatt. It has a very dated look

The people there are very friendly, which did compensate for some of the poor quality and condition of the hotel. The hotel is large, almost Vegas style large but without the bling. The beach is alright, kinda small. Sands not very white and water not too clear.

Another problem there is parking. The front lot is small and gets full very quickly, so you'll have to try the rear parking lot. The parking spaces are tight too, making it easy to get your rental dinged or scratched.

Overall, we still had a good time and would definitely do business with Hyatt. They still offer great value with above average quality and service than many others. Hopefully the next time I return, they'll have updated and better maintain the place. During our stay, they were getting ready for the grand opening of Jepengo, so we didn't get to try it. However we did eat at Son'z at Swan Court and it was very nice and food was great.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am thrilled you enjoyed your time in Maui. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt soon!

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed December 22, 2010

My husband and I have been traveling a lot since we met and we never thought we would rate a hotel with 5 stars! We went to this hotel for our honeymoon and some friends told us about the space in the rooms and that they were old fashioned. Maybe, the hotel was just remodeled because everything looked new to us.
Good things:
- The hotel is huge, has three or four restaurants, the food is top quality and delicious.
-The rooms are spacious, very nice decorated.
- The pools are big enough. There is a nice pool for children away from the big pool so we didn't have to interact with them!
- The service is AMAZING. I couldn't believe the attentions people were giving to us. The people are very attentive, personable and always looking to please us.
- They have animal shows where you can see parrots talking and they have penguins, cranes, flamingos, swans. We felt we were in a very exotic place!

Bad things (not too many)
- They were making a lot of remodeling when we were there and they changed a carpet which apparently was not vacuumed at all. It had a lot of lint at the end of the week.
- The Swans restaurant is beautiful and is in front of a pond, with the doors opened. The view is beautiful but there are a lot of birds waiting for you to stand up and steal your food. My husband and I didn't bother at all but we could see a lot of people who didn't like this.
- The beach is very small and there is a lot of coral reef so it's hard to swim in the sea.
- When we were there, the pool was closed due to a "code brown". That was a little bit disappointing and disgusting and we didn't get into the pool the rest of the days. I'm sure this doesn't happen a lot and the management handled it very well!

This hotel went beyond our expectations and we really would go back here.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Customer Service Representative at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2010

Dear Daros30:

Thank you for your review in regards to your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. I’m excited to hear how much you enjoyed the resort and the amenities offered. I’m glad to hear the employees were very nice and welcoming to make you feel at home. We would be happy to welcome you back on future visits!

Nick B. – Customer Service Representative

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!