“Good resort”

Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 14, 2006

Reception was perfect service and polite. Resort grounds are very appropriate to Maui's west coast - open air and tropical. For off-season stay (11/9-11/13), not too crowded and not too quiet. Pool is nice with a relatively full deck. Lots of family activities and variety of age group guests. Beach area is relatively narrow but a short walk north leads to wider beach. Accommodations were a litte more than above average and very clean. Beds are super comfy. Didn't book a room with view but only stayed in room to sleep. Nice athletic club which is part of the $15 resort fee. Hawaii just passed smoking law which may impact smoking around resort. 5 mins. to Lahaina to shop, dine, buy water/drinks/snacks at Safeway. 15 mins. to Kapalua, 45 mins. to main airport and start of Hana hwy. Passed on dining at resort to take advantage of dining at many different restaurants around Maui (local fast food and fine dining). You can always spend to do more things at resort (e.g., spa, cabanas, covered chairs on sand, snorkeling/diving, ...). Many options for activities or not doing anything at all. No charge for self-park. Would come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank andyinaz

Reviewed November 11, 2006

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Maui from October 14th – 21st. Upon arriving we were immediately greeted by the valet staff and our suitcases were unloaded very promptly from our rental car. My wife and I were given Lei’s. The ladies receive purple and white flowered lei’s and mine was all white. My wife actually liked mine better and proceeded to wear it for several days. As we walked through the open-air lobby my wife mentioned to the bellman that we had never stayed in a place like this. She was overwhelmed by the appearance of the hotel and we had only entered its palm tree filled lobby. She was almost in tears as she was so happy.

I immediately felt relief as I had picked this hotel after researching hotels for months on this very website. When we entered our room the bellman began to show us around. He was showing my wife this and that as I ran to the balcony to check out the view. I told my wife she had to see this….I guided her across the room to the most beautiful view I have ever seen out of a hotel balcony. Palm trees, the pool, and the Pacific Ocean is all we could see. It was an incredible view.

We unpacked a few things in our room (#871) then headed downstairs. In the main part of the lower level of the hotel we passed store after store….Macy’s included! My wife was speechless. The vases, the interior, everything was immaculate. I asked her….are you happy? She replied…”you did great”. We were in Maui to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and this was a fantastic start to it. I had read about the Hyatt’s 24 hour exercise room so we decided to check it out. Upon entering it I saw for myself what a treadmill with a t.v. attached to it looks like and was very much impressed with the work out facility. It actually is not a room but a separate building. It has 8 treadmills, 6 elliptical machines, 6 stationary bikes, free weights, and countless weight machines. It was perfect. The chilled wash cloths were a refreshing idea. They actually chill them in ice. They also have ice cold water with lemons. The glass windows give you the opportunity to workout and actually see the waves hit the beach! What a workout facility! My wife worked out 5 days there and 3 for me. Yes she is more fit than me! Hint: In order to use the headphones on the treadmills you must unplug one of the cords and replace it with your headphone cord. It is easier to do this from behind the machine unless you are 6ft 5.

We checked out the Hyatt’s luau on day 1. You can actually take a sneak peak at it without paying. We decided it looked fine so we bought tickets. One piece of advice…You do not have to purchase luau tickets in advance prior to your arrival. You can purchase luau tickets on site through the concierge but at times they have cruise ships in port and they hold tickets for them. So some nights might be sold out. It is best to check on this on day # 1 of your stay. The food at the luau was fantastic. Steak, chicken, pulled pork, rice, salads, etc, etc. The show part of the luau lasted 1 hour and was excellent. The fire-knife dance was too good! The MC did a great job especially when he acknowledged the newlyweds and anniversary couples! We actually got to stand up and be acknowledged!

I want to thank the singer who was entertaining the night of 10/17/06 at the Hyatt’s bar. I requested that he sing Time in a Bottle by Jim Croce as that song was played at our wedding. He did a great job!

When we checked in we were told that breakfast would be included. Prior to our departure our Triple A rep told us that we must pay for breakfast so we were happy about that, as it runs $25 per person. The breakfast at Swan Court is more than incredible. They have everything you could imagine. Eggs, eggs benedict, omelets, pancakes, waffles, or French toast depending on the day, potatoes, toast, bagels, fresh pineapple slices, the list is indeed endless. For those of you that have not operated an industrial toaster you do not need to wait until all the pieces of bread have cleared the toaster to drop your piece of bread or bagel in. The breakfast area in Swan Court is open air. I was waiting to see a few birds show up as I had read that they sometimes like to do fly-bys in the breakfast area. Sure enough the little dive-bombers do show up. They never actually landed on our table in the 7 days we were there but I could see how some might think this is a little disgusting. The birds seem to congregate where dishes of food are being stored to go to the kitchen. The birds were only a minor distraction. Swan Court is awesome and its open-air atmosphere is ideal. To eat breakfast as swans both black and white swim by is too much. The waterfalls in the pond also make for a great background in pictures so try to get a table close to the front for all you digi people.

The pool at the Hyatt is simply too much. Most people do not get in the water, they lay out and tan. The pool is very spacious, the most spacious pool we have ever seen at a hotel. I immediately swam to the falls part of the pool as I had been looking at a picture of that for months and wanted to be under it. It is incredible. You can then swim through caves to the pool bar. The nice thing about the Hyatt’s pool is they have a separate pool for kids!

We did not eat at the hotel as we found their prices to be a little high. We did walk to Whalers Village. It is a must if you are staying in this area. Our brother-law told us of the village and we went there on night # 1. We ate at the Hula grill. There was about a 30-minute wait so we sat right at the bar and ordered food there. I saw the bartender making a drink that looked very interesting, so I inquired about it and was told it was a “Lava Flow”. It was delicious. If you go to the Whalers Village you must have one of these drinks and from the Hula bar as I found they made the best Lava Flow on Maui! I recommend the Plantation Restaurant in Kapalua for a special dinner. Try to get there early so you can have one of their outdoor tables and see a magnificent sunset. Thanks to Juan for taking so many pictures of us.

Whalers Village has many stores…For souvenirs go to the ABC Stores. They are everywhere on Maui. Hilo Hatties is the best though. It is located in Lahaina just off the strip. You must see the Banyan tree there also. It is located in Lahaina on Front Street approximately 1.5 miles from Cheeseburgers in Paradise.

We only had minor gripes during our stay at the Hyatt. They are:

No microwaves unless you pay $10 a day for them. I like to re-heat my coffee.

No free internet. It costs .50cents a minute with a 10-minute minimum or $10 a day. This is ridiculous.

Prices at the food court! $3.50 for a can of coke??? Why? Go to Safeway in Lahaina and stock up on Diet Dews!

Our $15 resort fee (whatever that is) covers use of the tennis court for 1 hr daily. Racquets must be rented at $10 per racquet. Balls are $10 per bucket. My wife and I usually use only 3 balls when we play at home but sometimes I could use a bucket when playing with her! We were given a free bucket because we called ahead and were told the balls were free. Bring your own tennis balls from home and save the confusion. The courts are deluxe, by the way, equipped with water cup holders! P.S. I beat my wife 6-1. Only one call was disputed by her. When we play tennis we are serious so I thought I should mention this.

Overall our stay at the Hyatt Regency Maui was outstanding and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. A special thanks to the housekeeping staff for the excellent job they did everyday. Final rating: 9.2 Nateroo’s out of 10. Add a micro and free internet and all the stars I have will go to the Hyatt. Good Job.

I recommend:

Taking a drive to the blowhole at Nakalele Point. Bring the video camera and hike all the way down to the blowhole. Just be careful on those rocks!

If you go to Hana plan on making it an all day adventure. Forget about going to the Garden of Eden – at $10 per person it’s a rip-off.

Do see the volcano. We didn’t see it at sunrise but it is awesome at 11am also.

We would be happy to answer any questions….kmnm4@mchsi.com

• Stayed: October 2006
23  Thank Eagleeyes
Reviewed November 5, 2006

We checked into the Hyatt after a 5 night stay at the Sheraton Maui. Checkin was smooth, my only complaint was that the checkin desk was so dreary! It was so different from the rest of the hotel. I wish they would put in a nice cheerful fish tank.

Anyway, we were "terrace view" but it actually was partial ocean view...we were on the third floor in the Napali building. Our balcony overlooked the walkway leading to the pool/beach.

The hotel is beautiful. I didn't interact with the staff that much, but everyone seemed friendly.

Our room was very nice, upscale polynesian furniture.

The bathroom was great: Seperate toilet and shower and a room for sink, bar area, and a seperate closet to stash your junk.

I did a trip report on fodors/talk under "beachkomer". It has a lot of details about our trip.

The pool was nice, smaller that I thought it was going to be. There is not a useable beach, but the lawn area next to the beach was nice and relaxing.

Casscades restaurant was the only one we ate at, and had two great meals. We didn't do the luau.

I would love to stay here again, IF the price is good!

The hotel is beautiful.

7  Thank worldtripper
Reviewed November 1, 2006

We stayed here for part of our honeymoon from Oct 23-Oct 30.
It was not worth it....granted the grounds are beautiful...but everything else is extremely lacking.
The staff was not too friendly, we checked in only to find our 'partial ocean view' was one of a rooftop, other tower and crane. You could only see the ocean if you went out on the balcony and looked over. I called to ask about it and they said that is the best they had, would not upgrade us unless we paid. I would have never opted for a partial ocean view to look at that every day!!!
That night, we heard the band clear as day in our room (DON'T stay in the Atrium tower either!!!)...we heard every foot step on the tile hallways and the people next to us opening and closing their doors. I called our travel agent the next day and she called the hotel and nothing was done about it. The band played every night and the noise just echoed in the atrium....they stopped by 10pm, but when you are on vacation and want to relax, I am not paying to hear a band play, I am paying for a quiet, nice room....and in Maui there are ALOT of early adventures people go on and like to get up early...it was awful!
The other main gripe I have besides all the noise is the resort fee...you pat $15 every day for access to the fitness area and basically nothing else....you have to pay extra for valet parking($12 per night) otherwise you have to self park your car...which we didn't mind and were glad to do, only to find out that you have to hunt for a parking space each time and all the spaces are cramped because they only give you two tiny lots to choose from for all those cars!!!...you also have to pay to get chairs on the beach...otherwise you can get a chair by the pool which was insanely crowded..it reminded me of the pools in Vegas...they cram you all around and there is NO space between chairs...also no fridge in the room....you have to call and ask and be put on a wait list for it...
I honestly wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone...it was NOT worth what we paid for!

• Stayed: October 2006
18  Thank 4pa
Reviewed October 30, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a week in Maui at the Hyatt Regency. First let me state that Maui is spectacular, but this hotel is way past its prime. We chose to stay here based on rave reviews from our family and friends. What we failed to predict is while this hotel was considered to be pretty special 15 or so years ago, the Hyatt is currently coasting on it's past reputation and a steady stream of conventions and discount packages. We booked the "Aloha Fall Package" through Expedia which "included" a rental car (which doubled in price upon arrival) and daily breakfast in the room rate. On our first night, we were greeted with a long line at check in. I could immediately tell from the quality of patron in line with us, that this was not going to be our type of hotel (think overweight, "I Survived The Earthquake" t-shirt wearing tourists). When we finally reached the desk, we were informed that our requested room was not available. This has happened to me several times before at other big hotels like the Ritz Carlton, but I have always been offered some sort of upgrade as a consolation. No such luck here. I was informed that I had not "paid enough" for a special upgrade and despite giving away my reserved room, the best they could do was give me two smaller beds. Surprisingly, the interior of the room turned out to be quite nice--considering the condition of the disco-era carpets and light fixtures found in the hallways leading to it. The bedroom furnishings and beds were of good quality and appeared newer and more sophisticated than the common areas of the hotel which were more like a 1970's mall. The bathrooms were clean and functional--nothing special. Our room overlooked the Drums of the Pacific Luau and we were treated nightly to the Vegas-style serenade (annoying, but it was better than the highway noise we could hear the other 21 hours of the day). The ocean view from the lobby was nice, but all of those birds buzzing around the grounds made the place smell like a pet store and the stucco boulder waterfalls made me feel like we were at a theme park. Breakfast at Swan Court (or the "Regal Beagle" as we liked to call it) was a rip off. While the buffet was included in our package, gratuities were not, so we ended up tipping $10 a day on our "free" $50 breakfast ($25 each + 20% tip). There was a big selection at the buffet, but it definately had that cattle call, cruise ship quality to it. The carpets were faded and dingy and the rattan furniture was badly chipped, but the service was prompt. My least favorite aspect of this hotel was the pool and beach area. The pool with it's fountains, grottos and slide is huge, crowded, loud and dirty. Luckily we came to Maui to explore the island, so our time there was limited. We actually went to K-mart and bought some folding chairs to take further down to the beach since the Hyatt's only beach chairs are some seriously sad looking cabanas for $40. They were so old and in such a bad spot on the beach that I seriously would not have sat in them for free! Kaanapali is a pretty nice area, but you would be better off staying at any other property to the north--that way you avoid the highway noise by the Hyatt and get a much bigger beach. The beaches in Maui are public so you can go to them all--which we did. Most of the sloth, touristy types avoid the sand, so you get the beach to yourself. I loved being in Maui, but had a hard time getting over my disapointment with the Hyatt. I read this site religiously and picked it over the Ritz because of some negative reviews. When we finally drove over to Kapalua to see the Ritz, I cried because it seemed so much nicer (and was actually less expensive) than the Hyatt. Caveat emptor. Next time I am staying at the Four Seasons (which we visited during our stay and was incredible). The rooms may be more expensive, but you make up for it by having no resort fees and complimentary bottled water. The one good thing about the Hyatt is that it inspired us to spend much more time away from the hotel exploring incredible Maui.

15  Thank Bouquet61
Reviewed October 20, 2006

We were awe-struck as soon as we entered the lobby! It was an open aired atrium with sweet smelling flora, palm trees and birds. The rooms were nice and the beds were the most comfortable we have ever slept in. Sonz's Swan court restaraunt was delicious, especially if you like fish. I recommend the opakapaka! The breakfast buffet was awesome! Best coffee we have ever had. The penguins and the cranes were a little overboard, but fun to watch. The beach in front of the hotel was not the best. But you could walk a little way up to Ka'anapali beach that was just great. The service was excelent. The concierge you get you what you needed very quickly and make dinner reservations wherever you wanted to go. This place was worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank trvellinggrandma
Reviewed October 18, 2006

Overall the Hyatt is a very visually impressive hotel, the grounds are lush and well maintained and the rooms look over a golf course and mountains to the back and the ocean to the front. Also the foyer is factastic with palm trees and parrots and water features.

We arrived (extremely jet-lagged) at around midday having requested an early check-in but we told they were still preparing the room and it would not be ready until earliest 2pm and guaranteed at 3pm. We went to Whaler's Village for some food and came back at 3pm to be told it was not yet ready. The concierge took pity on us and managed to get us our keys at around 3.10 but this was still disappointing. We had a King Ocean View room which was a corner room with 2 balconies, one looking to the side with table and chairs and another narrow balcony looking over the ocean. The room was very spacious and cool, it is was beginning to look a bit worn but was very pleasant and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Our main gripe was the food - it was incredibly expensive and not worth the money. We were not at all impressed with the breakfast, it was a case of quantity over quality and I found it difficult to eat anything bar cereal and fruit. We also ate in Pavillion, Son'z and Spats. We would only return to Son'z where the setting was incredibly romantic and the food was excellent, however the service was overfamiliar, loud and generally much too casual for the standard of restaurant and put a blemish on an otherwise wonderful night. The food in the other places was barely mediocre.

We spent our days by the pool. The beach in front of the hotel is sandy and clean but narrow and there are only 10 cabanas which have to be rented for $40 per day. The pool is therefore incredibly crowded and noisy as they pack in as many loungers as possible.

We would definately return to Maui although we would not stay at the Hyatt again. It was a reasonably pleasant stay but the hotel is over-priced, very busy and the service is lacking.

8  Thank MGTB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!